Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Me too

I also liked his Green Arrow too

To me he drew definitive versions of all JLA characters. Dillin (JLA), Neal Adams (whole DCU), Jim Aparo (Batman and others, especially in B&B), and Curt Swan (Superman) were the ones that created the looks we got used to being the definitive versions of characters as we knew them in the 70s and early 80s. I mean before George Perez came along.

Of course there were other definitive artists that are so noted by their inclusion in style guides, such as Jose-Luis Garcia Lopez, but they were aping the looks that Adams and Dillin created.

Dillin's Green Arrow was perfect but it was also a lift of Neal Adams' version. Back then the goatee and classic costume worked in a way they never have since. All thanks to Adams and Dillin.

Retired

I think that in the 1970s, collectors were not that interested in the prolific artists. Artists like Dillin, Swan and Novick could handle two or three titles per month without breaking a sweat. So their work wasn’t rare. While artists like Adams and Wrightson were always behind the eight ball with deadlines and didn’t stick around for long.

The law of supply and demand.

Even the great Jack Kirby didn’t garner much respect from fandom at the time. He was so ubiquitous that collectors undervalued his output.

Of course, this applies to comic shops—where the collectors got their comics. And DC valued their newsstand sales, where consistency and dependability were more important. So the productive artists like Dillin, Swan and Novick provided art for the leading mass market titles.

It warms my heart to see the great work of Dick Dillin on this thread. He was one of the JLA greats.

Sandy Hausler

Extraordinary Member

Here's a few from my favorite time in JLofA history - Steve Englehart's 10-issue run in the late 70s:

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    Ollie could be such a jackass at times back then.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    Ollie could be such a jackass at times back then.
    Yes he could. I loved the Ollie/Katar feud. But it was also nice that they finally became buddies at one point.

Dick Dillin was one of the best artists in the 1970's. His JLA and World's Finest are what I remember the most.

The thing with Dillin for me was every character looked right. His Superman looked right. His Batman looked right. He did a great Hawkman. I loved his Flash always noticed how well he drew the treads on his boots. Weird I know. He's THE Justice League artist for me.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    The thing with Dillin for me was every character looked right. His Superman looked right. His Batman looked right. He did a great Hawkman. I loved his Flash always noticed how well he drew the treads on his boots. Weird I know. He's THE Justice League artist for me.
    Agree with all of this.

Extraordinary Member

Back in March, Newsarama had one of their lists of The Greatest Justice League Creators Of All Time. They left off Dick Dillin and the readers of their site went nuts. Read the comments section in the link below. Nice to see people still remember and love Dillin.

https://www.newsarama.com/30582-the-...-all-time.html

Extraordinary Member

Bumping this thread to see if there are any newer posters who are fans of Dillin.

Fantastic Member

I miss Dick Dillin. His art was so clean, bright, and to the point. Can't stand today's artists. It seems everyone wants to be the next Jim Lee, and I'm not a fan. Would give anything for a new artist to try to be him.

--jthree

As a kid, I used to think his art was servicable, but dull when compared to other "more exciting" DC mainstays, such as Neal Adams, Jose Luiz Garcia Lopez and Jim Aparo, however, as the years went by, I got to be more appreciative of his craft. I didn't care much for Frank McLaughlin's inks over his, but I really liked it when Dick Giodano inked him. He illustrated some great DC classics.

Peace

I agree. He was good but not as 'exciting' as other artists. Some of his issues were good, others were lackluster.

Once you're 'humbled' by the difficulty of illustration, its hard to be critical of anyone who choose to stay in the game for a long time.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Fantastic Member

Loved the Hawkman/Green Arrow feud. It was entertaining without being threatening. And it was Kater Hol, the scientific Thanagarian, not the Wolverine wanna be of today.

--jthree