Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    She flew when she was fighting Ares at the end and blasted him with lightning didn't she?
    That's how I saw it too, but somehow that is not the majority view.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midnighter View Post
    She flew when she was fighting Ares at the end and blasted him with lightning didn't she?
    It was one of many ambiguous things that happened in the final act of her solo movie. She looked like she levitated in the Ares fight, but no where was it shown for her to have actually flown in multi directional paths, ala Superman. It just looked like she levitated, and because it looked like she landed in slow motion, many can argue that she landed as she normally would have had she just jumped straight up.

Put it this way, if she really flys, why didn't she do that when they were being drowned in the tunnel scene in the JL movie? Or, when they needed to get Russia quickly for the final battle against Steppenwolf? Or, just show her flying so it can settle this foolish debate over whether she can fly in the DCEU!

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It was one of many ambiguous things that happened in the final act of her solo movie. She looked like she levitated in the Ares fight, but no where was it shown for her to have actually flown in multi directional paths, ala Superman. It just looked like she levitated, and because it looked like she landed in slow motion, many can argue that she landed as she normally would have had she just jumped straight up.
    Yeah but she went up and stayed there until she was done doing what she needed to. Her coming down slowly only backs up the idea that she was flying, otherwise she'd have fallen back down quickly.

I'm pretty sure the intent was for her to have unlocked her ability to fly in that scene. The JL thing could easily be chalked up to too many cooks in the kitchen, not everyone being on the same page about her abilities , or even simple plot contrivance.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

The levitation seems to be part of her nature as the Godslayer. It may be something that she hasn't yet learned how to "unlock" on a more permanent basis so she can fly whenever. Something that could be done in a WW sequel. If not this one, the next one that will probably be set in the modern day.

Incredible Member

I'm hopeful that, given the success of Wonder Woman, Patty Jenkins will be free to do whatever she wants with Diana's powers (and the stunt and CGI budget necessary to showcase her chosen powers appropriately).

I'm of the view that Wonder Woman can fly. I think she flew in DoJ - she "dropped" onto the island to battle Doomsday out of nowhere. In WW she was at the very least levitating during her final battle with Ares, although that may have been due to the surrounding circumstances. At the end of Wonder Woman, in the scene set in the present day, she leapt from the top of a building with a clear indication of "flying" towards some crisis in the distance. In JL, Wonder Woman first appears standing on top of a very tall statue on top of a building.

Yes, it's incredibly annoying that the power is used inconsistently AND that it hasn't been shown definitively on screen to date. But, I have hope for the future.

The DCEU originally pegged Diana as someone who had "abandoned" humanity. That was directly re-written in WW and JL to Diana still being a hero, but not a public super hero. If Patty Jenkins wants Diana to fly, then I'm sure she will fly. If Patty Jenkins wants to highlight Diana's super speed during her battles with the Cheetah, then her super speed will be clearly demonstrated (even moreso than in WW and JL).

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Yes, if they really are concerned with distancing themselves from JL and just putting out self contained movies, I don't think they or the audience will care if there are any inconsistencies.

This is already contradicting Diana's line in BvS about walking away from humanity after WWI. Hell, the first movie did as well, and the line was kind of vague to start with anyway.

They may not be concerned with a tight continuity anymore considering WW was a success and JL was not. If she flies in this movie and doesn't in the movies that take place after...who cares? Don't dwell on it, let's just move forward.

And even if she doesn't fly, it's not the end of the world. What matters is if the movie is GOOD, and that can be accomplished without a WW who flies (and already has). Whether Superman can do it or not is irrelevant, because he isn't even born yet when this movie takes place, and would be unlikely to be featured even if he was. What she can and cannot do compared to him is irrelevant. My chief concern is them getting WW and Cheetah right, not how strong or fast they are in comparison to heroes who won't even be in this.
    Wonder Woman's ability to fly is very important to me, because historically it's been very important to her.

WW FLYING 11 PEREZ 2.jpg

WW 604 2.jpg

WW 604 3.jpg

It's an aspect that's missing from her cinematic depiction for a reason. I don't know if it's to make Superman look better, or sexism, or something else. All I know is they've made a point of teasing us with it and I find that tiresome, disappointing and a little mean.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Wonder Woman's ability to fly is very important to me, because historically it's been very important to her.

WW FLYING 11 PEREZ 2.jpg

WW 604 2.jpg

WW 604 3.jpg

It's an aspect that's missing from her cinematic depiction for a reason. I don't know if it's to make Superman look better, or sexism, or something else. All I know is they've made a point of teasing us with it and I find that tiresome, disappointing and a little mean.
    I think the Justice League movie in its entirety was supposed to make Superman look better

I hope so, flight was always a mistake. She can just jump around if she wants to get some altitude.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I'm bummed that Wonder Woman doesn't fly but what's even more annoying to me, is how much Diana relies on weapons, namely the sword. She doesn't come across as a particularly powerful superhero, she's sort of just middle of the pack
    Last edited by VonHammersmark; 04-05-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I hope so, flight was always a mistake. She can just jump around if she wants to get some altitude.
    I guess that would make her a jumping brick then, essentially diet Hulk.

Retired

I recognize that this is the Wonder Woman forum, so we talk about WW. But that makes it seem like Diana is the only character on screen that is at odds with her comic book self—as if she’s being singled out. In fact, I can’t think of any comic book character that makes the transition to screen without changes to powers, power levels, skill set, back story, character, costume and training.

In the case of Superman, the ability to fly appeared in the animated screen version first and later was introduced in the comics. But Superman has had powers taken way or new powers added in almost every screen adaptation. Let’s not forget those ten years of powered down SMALLVILLE.

I always feel like screen Batman is never the detective he should be. When he does do detective work it’s usually with technological support and the help of other characters. Old school fans of Batman were steaming when the dumbed-down detective appeared on TV in 1966.

The CW shows nerf characters every week. And they have to, because they have a budget and the Flash could solve every problem in two seconds if his powers were consistent.

Personally, I don’t like that Diana is now a goddess—she should be so over-powered that nothing can stop her. So either there’s nothing for a credible plot or they have to nerf her for the story to make sense. And I prefer it when any Amazon, with the right training, could become a Wonder Woman.

Ideally, live action should temper the power levels for any super-hero. That way they can maintain a consistent level of story and effects. If the characters become over-powered too fast that sets up an expectation that we will see more of the same. So it feels like a cheat when we don’t get that.

The Gal Gadot Wonder Woman is already in that sticky situation. Because she displayed goddess powers at the end of her solo movie—a hundred years ago. Yet in JUSTICE LEAGUE, her powers seem lessened.

I'll settle for levitation and superhuman jumps as long as Patty gives us the Invisible Jet!

WW FLYING 11 PEREZ 2.jpg

WW 604 2.jpg

WW 604 3.jpg
    Those comics are relatively recent though, and they came out long after she had become a pop culture icon. After the Silver and Bronze ages, impactful changes to the iconography of these characters get rarer. So Wonder Woman being able to fly isn't something that is carved in stone for the general public the way it is for Superman or Supergirl.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I think the Justice League movie in its entirety was supposed to make Superman look better
    Sexism and hoping to make Superman look better is a possibility. Or it's just that these superheros always get nerfed to a degree, as Jim Kelly pointed out, and Lynda Carter didn't fly. Which is the version the majority of the audience is familiar with; yes, the DCAU version flew, but she wasn't the star of the show, the show kind of sucked with her in general, and it didn't have anywhere near the pop culture impact that the Lynda Carter show did, particularly for the older generation. I doubt any of them are wondering why she isn't flying, though they may wonder where the jet is.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'll settle for levitation and superhuman jumps as long as Patty gives us the Invisible Jet!
    Yes, I've always preferred the Jet to her flying, and she has no reason to even have it if she can fly. So I'd rather the DCEU give us this. The goofiest aspect of it, her being visible and sitting while flying through the air, is really simple to get rid of. The DCEU is a great opportunity to redeem the thing's reputation.

If we're not getting the jet, then yeah she should permanently unlock flight at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Those comics are relatively recent though, and they came out long after she had become a pop culture icon. After the Silver and Bronze ages, impactful changes to the iconography of these characters get rarer. So Wonder Woman being able to fly isn't something that is carved in stone for the general public the way it is for Superman or Supergirl.

Sexism and hoping to make Superman look better is a possibility. Or it's just that these superheros always get nerfed to a degree, as Jim Kelly pointed out, and Lynda Carter didn't fly. Which is the version the majority of the audience is familiar with; yes, the DCAU version flew, but she wasn't the star of the show, the show kind of sucked with her in general, and it didn't have anywhere near the pop culture impact that the Lynda Carter show did, particularly for the older generation. I doubt any of them are wondering why she isn't flying, though they may wonder where the jet is.

Yes, I've always preferred the Jet to her flying, and she has no reason to even have it if she can fly. So I'd rather the DCEU give us this. The goofiest aspect of it, her being visible and sitting while flying through the air, is really simple to get rid of. The DCEU is a great opportunity to redeem the thing's reputation.

If we're not getting the jet, then yeah she should permanently unlock flight at some point.

The DCAU (where Diana was a top billed character) isn't exactly obscure and I'm pretty sure more people know about it that the Lynda Carter show which has a far worse reputation, regardless of whether or not it's take on Diana is what some people like. DCAU Diana isn't exactly my favorite take either but even I can't objectively claim it was worse for her than the Carter show.
    Also, one of those images is from the 1980s.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The DCAU (where Diana was a top billed character) isn't exactly obscure and I'm pretty sure more people know about it that the Lynda Carter show which has a far worse reputation, regardless of whether or not it's take on Diana is what some people like.
    Aside from the campiness, which is a given considering the era it came out in, is the reputation of the show "bad"? And what evidence do we have that the DCAU version had a comparable impact? Lynda Carter has mentioned a lot in the media a lot recently due to the movie, and we haven't gotten much mention at all about the cartoon that ended over a decade ago. Look at Carter getting a star on the walk of fame, and her striking the classic WW pose, and her interactions with Gadot.

DCAU Diana isn't exactly my favorite take either but even I can't objectively claim it was worse for her than the Carter show.
    Looking at how it depicted her character, the Amazons and her villains (better to not use them at all than to use them the way the DCAU did), I think we can.

Also, one of those images is from the 1980s.
    I'm aware. I think I own the comic in question. Still came out relatively late in the game compared to the media that depicted her with the Invisible plane, and the comics and media that had Superman start flying (and never really stop).