View Poll Results: What did you think of the issue?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • ★★★★★

2 8.33%
  • ★★★★

3 12.50%
  • ★★★

3 12.50%
  • ★★

6 25.00%
  • 10 41.67%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #43 - Discussion & Spoilers

Sigh...

After the preview pages we've already seen where Steve acts like a barking guard dog to Jason, we see Diana free Lashina and Mad Harriet so she can beat the answers of Darkseid's plan out of them (wtf???). Meanwhile Darkseid flexes his muscle and kills his subordinates again and reveals that he plans to use a boom tube to bring ARGUS to the Amazon Jungle (wtf???). At ARGUS, Steve introduces Jason to the Oddfellows and says that Amanda Waller offered the Suicide Squad for protection of the relics which Steve declined as he "needs people he trusts" (wtf???). Apparently a bunch of human soldiers are more capable of protecting mystical artifacts from Darkseid than superpowered metahumans...

Anyways, Diana continues fighting Lashina and Mad Harriet (funny how a dozen ARGUS soldiers were able to beat and capture them a few issues ago yet Diana struggles to even hold her own against the two... I reiterate, wtf???). Ultimately, Darkseid manages to open the boom tube which teleports Steve, Jason, Diana, Lashina, Mad Harriet, and the rest of ARGUS to the jungle. Darkseid stands over them and says to Diana: "This is it, amazon. Our final battle. So says Darkseid." Cue eye rolling.

I don't have many positive things to say about this issue. Marco Santucci's art was very nice, however, and Romulo Fajardo Jr.'s amazing coloring is always welcome.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Sigh...

After the preview pages we've already seen where Steve acts like a barking guard dog to Jason, we see Diana free Lashina and Mad Harriet so she can beat the answers of Darkseid's plan out of them (wtf???). Meanwhile Darkseid flexes his muscle and kills his subordinates again and reveals that he plans to use a boom tube to bring ARGUS to the Amazon Jungle (wtf???). At ARGUS, Steve introduces Jason to the Oddfellows and says that Amanda Waller offered the Suicide Squad for protection of the relics which Steve declined as he "needs people he trusts" (wtf???). Apparently a bunch of human soldiers are more capable of protecting mystical artifacts from Darkseid than superpowered metahumans...

Anyways, Diana continues fighting Lashina and Mad Harriet (funny how a dozen ARGUS soldiers were able to beat and capture them a few issues ago yet Diana struggles to even hold her own against the two... I reiterate, wtf???). Ultimately, Darkseid manages to open the boom tube which teleports Steve, Jason, Diana, Lashina, Mad Harriet, and the rest of ARGUS to the jungle. Darkseid stands over them and says to Diana: "This is it, amazon. Our final battle. So says Darkseid." Cue eye rolling.

I don't have many positive things to say about this issue. Marco Santucci's art was very nice, however, and Romulo Fajardo Jr.'s amazing coloring is always welcome.
    "I could use my lasso to get answers but I wont...we will fight" I swear she said that like 5 times and she could've just used the lasso.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    "I could use my lasso to get answers but I wont...we will fight" I swear she said that like 5 times and she could've just used the lasso.
    Oh God, that is straight out of the failed WW pilot.

This sounds awful from start to finish.

Okay, Wonder Woman editors and writer... if Geoff Johns is keeping you hostage of his Darkseid War's story, I want you to now that you don't have to obey him. If you feel in danger, blink twice. We can come and save you, really, we can.

More seriously... sigh, indeed. I mean, I still find it better than Rucka's Rebirth run, but that's like saying that stale bread is better than rotten bread : both are bad... I mean, come on, D.C... How can you squander so much potential from Daarkseid, Grail, Jason and more importantly, Diana in those stories ?

And if you want to know, it's when Diana didn't use her lasso to get her answers that I dropped all hope and the book.

Ignoring the fact that everyone is being written OOC.

So.... Darksied's people say the boom tube isn't ready so killing the person that tells him that magically makes it ready??????????? I get that they're trying to play on the "Darksied evil" thing, but at some point things have to make sense. Also Darksied is a lot more interesting when written as a pragmatist, not some random killer.

But back to my main point: Diana choosing to fight people instead of the peaceful way shows a misunderstanding of her character. Her failing to win, even doubly so.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Okay, Wonder Woman editors and writer... if Geoff Johns is keeping you hostage of his Darkseid War's story, I want you to now that you don't have to obey him. If you feel in danger, blink twice. We can come and save you, really, we can.
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. Has DC completely forgotten how to write a good Wonder Woman story? Jeesh, even the two Black Label books are about her mother and her daughter. What's up? Why can't they find a writer who loves the character and can tell a good story about HER?!?
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

After these responses, I am now afraid to read it.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    After these responses, I am now afraid to read it.
    I'll give you a quick summary;
    ARGUS has two Furies prisoner. Rather than use her lasso on them, Diana engages them in an all out brawl to, essentially, beat the answers out of them.

Doesn't matter though, as Darkseid Boom Tubes them, Steve, and others to the Amazon Jungle.

Even for me, this issue was like running head first into a brick wall for how Diana acted. Steve basically echoed a lot of readers' sentiments in regards to Jason though.

Quote Originally Posted by klynn View Post
    This is EXACTLY how I feel. Has DC completely forgotten how to write a good Wonder Woman story? Jeesh, even the two Black Label books are about her mother and her daughter. What's up? Why can't they find a writer who loves the character and can tell a good story about HER?!?
    I've no idea. The craziest thing is that I love Darkseid War, and Grail, which is (was? I don't think she is not salvageable yet) a character with a lot of potential, especially if D.C. went the smart way and made her relationship with her mother more important her the one with her father... and they went and did the reverse. And Diana, with the lasso in hand, telling "Nah, Imma beat the heck out of ya Furies" is so not like her. It's a good thing Metal #6 got out today, at least I had great Wonder Woman there, with Diana saving the Multiverse. Which actually makes me optimistic for Snyder JL's run when it comes to her and other characters than Batman (I love that guy on old Bat).

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I'll give you a quick summary;
    ARGUS has two Furies prisoner. Rather than use her lasso on them, Diana engages them in an all out brawl to, essentially, beat the answers out of them.

Doesn't matter though, as Darkseid Boom Tubes them, Steve, and others to the Amazon Jungle.

Even for me, this issue was like running head first into a brick wall for how Diana acted. Steve basically echoed a lot of readers' sentiments in regards to Jason though.
    To be fair, it wasn't like that, Diana didn't free the Furies to "beat the answers out of them", it was more of a warrior's code of honour type of thing, but really what it was, was Robinson giving Wonder Woman something to do

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteQueenEmmaFrost View Post
    No thank you. Wonder Woman doesn't use violence when there are alternative, peaceful means at her disposal. I don't care how they spin it, physically beating the "truth" out of someone isn't preferable to simply using the lasso to obtain the necessary information.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    To be fair, it wasn't like that, Diana didn't free the Furies to "beat the answers out of them", it was more of a warrior's code of honour type of thing, but really what it was, was Robinson giving Wonder Woman something to do
    Warrior's code? With the Furies? Darkseid's most loyal troops?

Come on! Diana is a warrior, but if there's a way to do things peacefully, she'll take that route without blinking. Especially with the people being Furies.

I've probably been one of the more apologetic members on this run, but this issue even threw me for a loop.

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    To be fair, it wasn't like that, Diana didn't free the Furies to "beat the answers out of them", it was more of a warrior's code of honour type of thing
    That's a cute way to spin it, but ultimately that's exactly what she was doing. She knows how deadly and dangerous Darkseid is, and she knows the Furies weren't going to answer to interrogation (physical or otherwise). The only solution she had was to use the lasso, which would've also saved her plenty of time. She's never had issues using the lasso to find out answers in emergency situations, and this should be no different. It's bad writing, plain and simple, and this is the worst moment for Diana since she grabbed Orion's genitals in the New 52, in my opinion.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

I don't necessarily think it makes a whole lot of sense and I agree that using the lasso was the logical/sensible thing to do, I'm not disputing that. All I'm saying is Wonder Woman's decision to fight the Furies was to earn the answers through honorable combat (or something like that) rather than "beat" the answers out of the them, there's a difference

Wait...so Steve Trevor is now Batman? Apparently he has already figured out a way to defeat Wonder Woman if need be. WTF?