Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member

We all have a high opinion of ourselves. And once we see behind the curtain we are all convinced that we would have seen the trick all along. So we read a Superman comic knowing the whole time Clark is Superman and vice-versa. And knowing that we all assure ourselves that we'd recognize Superman if he really existed. We recognize our friends with glasses after all. And in all those movies we go to see we are never unaware that Actor X is on the screen regardless of the make-up or the fact they are pretending to be a pirate or a cop or even a superhero. And in doing so we gloss over that our friends are rarely making an effort to fool us with their glasses (or lack there of). And the opening and closing credits of the film or the listing in a playbill often give us the name of that familiar actor. And in most cases the actor isn't really trying to convince us that he isn't himself, we are there on some level knowing it is "all pretend".

I think the problem is trying too hard to look at a single explanation where Superman is concerned. I've always seen him as a composite character. I look at his powers as coming from the interactions of different things- so that no one difference between Earth and Krypton explains all his abilities. Some are inherent to him- they are there on Krypton (even if they manifest differently). Some only exist under a yellow sun (or similar source).

And to me the same complexity exists in Superman and Clark not being recognized as the same person by most people.

1)Obliviousness. Most people don't really pay attention unless they have a reason to pay attention. A guy in a suit and tie walking down the street isn't unusual enough for you to really look at his face. And if the main thing that distinguishes him from the other people is that he is wearing glasses then other than those glasses (not the eyes behind the glasses) are what sticks in your mind if you even register the guy at all. Now I'm not talking about people who have prolonged interactions with Clark, but rather the guy on the bus or the girl passing him on the street who only notices Kent as someone taking up space (don't walk into him). That accounts for most of Metropolis on any given day assuming Clark doesn't do anything to attract attention.

2)Manner: If you were watching a group of people Clark is the one least likely to do anything that makes you notice him. He speaks quietly, when he speaks. And in any group discussion he is rarely the person doing the talking. In fact despite being approacjhable and easy to talk to, if pressed people will be unable to remember the last time Clark started a conversation. He's never the first guy at the meeting nor the last, although at points people swear they never noticed him come in. While he has opinions they are usually only slightly right or left of center.

3)Appearance: Superman has perfect posture, Clark doesn't. And when you factor in the actual strength of his muscles this effect makes the two men seem to almost have different body types. Clark appears shorter and broader while Superman seems taller and thinner. This is enhanced by Clark wearing clothing that is slightly larger than necessary which further deemphasises the tone of his muscles even relaxed. Superman has actually made a collection of "fake" bruises and cuts as make up props that he can apply from time to time in his Clark persona- and not just to cover the injuries he is seen to get. He has at points arrived at the Planet with razor burn, a facial zit, etc;

4)Other tics: Clark made a conscious effort to keep his Smallville accent when speaking as Clark but to adapt the sort of "generic American TV" accent when speaking as Superman. This extends to using certain regional names for things as Clark but making an effort as Superman to use the most appropriate word. Clark always goes to the bathroom. Superman would refer to it as anything from men's room, restroom, toilet, etc depending on whom he is speaking to. Clark is more verbally polite than Superman- Clark tends to put a lot of "sorry", "excuse me", and "thanks" in his speech where as Superman only uses these phrases when necessary. Superman rarely stands still- he paces, hovers (literally), fidgets ... while Clark is more prone to stretch out in a chair and wait.

..and when Lois is on to him ..He would do something like this

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    During the Silver Age, Superman compresses his spine to look shorter as Clark Kent.

I think that the All-Star route is the best way to differentiate Superman and Clark's height...

More effective than only change your hairstyle and the glasses..