Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do you consider Harley's solo book canon?

I do not. I assume the SS Harley is the actual HQ of the current universe.

How about you?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Nope.

I think Conner-Palmiotti once told in an interview that Harley and Starfire isn't canon, or free from continuity, but I need to find it again. It's been so long.

Not familiar with the Harley series. What're the reasons for considering one to be non-canon?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

BANNED

The one that is more enjoyable is canon, in so far that anything is.

Harley's solo all happens in her head.

Boom, done, there you go.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not familiar with the Harley series. What're the reasons for considering one to be non-canon?
    Harley never left Suicide Squad while her solo book has her as a free woman.

The only problem is at the start of Rebirth, Amanda Waller is shown to re-recruit her in her home at Coney Island as portrayed in the solo series, but that's pretty much the only connection.

Before you say that means Harley's solo is set after New 52 Suicide Squad is over, no... because it references events in New 52, like Superman/Wonder Woman romance, as it was published. So if it's canon, the timeline doesn't match.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.

More than the Suicide Squad plot point, her solo book is just very very goofy, like the upcoming story this summer where she joins the Female Furies on Apokolips.

I always ignore whatever Harley is up to and it never seems to have any impact on all the other DC books I read so if it is canon it is very unimportant canon material that has no overall affect on DCU.

I consider it canon. It just does what most solo titles *should* do and does it's own thing in its own way and doesn't worry too much about what other books are doing.

King's Batman doesn't usually reference Detective or any of the other Bat-books. Hell, Damien barely gets mentioned and shows up even less often. That doesn't mean King's Batman isn't canon, it just means the book is telling its own story.

Granted, Harley and the Squad's situation is a little weirder because in one book she's a free woman and in the other she's not. But Harley's book still mentions the Squad. In fact, just a few issues ago her neck bomb, which she claims was never removed when it should've been, played a role in a storyline.

When does her solo book happen in relation to Squad? I think the correct answer is; who cares? This isn't all that different from asking why Batman can be in space with the League, going on a road trip with Two-Face in the mid-west, and fighting Shiva in Gotham all at "once."

Hell, given the state of DC continuity these days, I'm not entire sure if any book is in the same continuity as it's own previous issue! I think Superman alone has gone through three different continuities just since Rebirth started!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Sure, why not. The batman book feels even sillier at times, with king at the helm, and as far as im aware its canon too.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Is the book ever mentioned in other DCU books not written by the harlery writers? no? then it's not canon

The way I understood it, is that Harley's standalone takes place in the not too distant future (one issue, not too long ago, she got some redshirt goon to remove her brain bomb in a rather bloody, but effective way). And the most recent one, she and Killer Croc reconnected from their time in the Suicide Squad (with Waylon joining Harley's side).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeCup View Post
    I do not. I assume the SS Harley is the actual HQ of the current universe.

How about you?
    Amanda would not let Halrey live freely,
    SS is the one affected by the universe

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I exactly don't know why but i don't consider Harley, period.
    I've never accepted her in the Batmanverse from the start, maybe cause she was created first in the cartoon.
    I don't like her relationship with Joker and find her unnecessary.

All-New Member

I consider the Harley book to be the fantasies that she has to keep her mind occupied while locked up in her cell during downtime from task force X. Perhaps she even has pencils and papers and writes/draws the book herself!