View Poll Results: Is the x-men series similar to the fight for civil rights in the United States?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

36 56.25%
  • No

19 29.69%
  • I never considered it

2 3.13%
  • It's just a comic book

10 15.63%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast
    All-New Member

Default X-Men and Civil Rights?

Hello! I am conducting research on the X-Men and ways people associate the series with the civil rights parallels. If people would be willing to answer the following questions, I would be grateful!

1. Does The X-Men have parallels to fights for civil rights in society?
    2. Would you agree that Magneto resembles Malcolm X and Professor X resembles Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?
    3. Did you ever think of The X-Men to have correlations to everyday society, or was it just a comic book?
    4. What would you say to people who believe The X-Men series helped to expose racial,LGBTQ+, and women's rights issues?

Lastly, if you are willing to discuss further, please send an email to: naomil1900@gmail.com

BANNED

To put things simply:

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Yes
    4. You’re giving them way too much credit

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. There have been attempts to address modern day ills, but because the writers are often straight, white men, these stories are okay at best and offensive at worst
    4. Considering the majority of superhero comic fandom as a whole exists of alt right manchildren, I'm gonna say a lot of people were missing the subtext

Quote Originally Posted by nay_lilly View Post
    Hello! I am conducting research on the X-Men and ways people associate the series with the civil rights parallels. If people would be willing to answer the following questions, I would be grateful!

2. Would you agree that Magneto resembles Malcolm X and Professor X resembles Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.?
    3. Did you ever think of The X-Men to have correlations to everyday society, or was it just a comic book?
    4. What would you say to people who believe The X-Men series helped to expose racial,LGBTQ+, and women's rights issues?

Lastly, if you are willing to discuss further, please send an email to: naomil1900@gmail.com
    The tagline for the book in the 60's was "the strangest teens of all" Stan admitted he created mutants originally simply so he didn't have to create origins for their powers and the allegory for bigotry and injustice came afterwards. So with all that in mind while they touched on it in the 60's it was never done to the lengths you'd think it would be given what the United States was going thru with Civil Rights and rather the book spent a lot of time just being a teen heroes book.

The creation of the New X-Men in 75 was where things started to change especially in the 80's with Morlocks representing the divide in Reagan's America at that time and homeless living in tunnels under NYC, Genosha standing in for South Africa, and eventually in the 90's the Legacy Virus standing in for HIV/AIDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. There have been attempts to address modern day ills, but because the writers are often straight, white men, these stories are okay at best and offensive at worst
    4. Considering the majority of superhero comic fandom as a whole exists of alt right manchildren, I'm gonna say a lot of people were missing the subtext
    I don't agree with the Alt Right on anything but it could be people didn't miss the context but simply don't care after constantly seeing straight white men used as a negative.

1. Yes
    2. Yes, but not at the beginning. I would say that from the 1980s. I think since "X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills", graphic novel published in 1982.
    3. Yes.
    4. I would tell them that, just as in Comics, they will be attacked by the government, their oppressors and haters; their leaders will be arrested, called terrorists and madmen. So I would tell them "don't give up". I would tell them: "you folks are right in fighting for your rights". Stay and fight like an X-Men.
    Last edited by CuteClops; 04-05-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Yeah, baby, Cyclops was right! Cyclops was right yet again! Cyclops is always right!! So bring RightClops back.

1. Of course they do.
    2. I feel like that works well enough as a very vague/general comparison/analogy, but not something to take really seriously.
    3. I think anyone who payed any attention the story instead of just being "Yay, superheroes!" would see the correlation.
    4. I'm not sure "helped to expose" it's quite it. Truth is that the people who don't care about those issues in real life aren't gonna start doing it so because of the X-Men. I think the real worth on that it's how relatable and special it feels for those people who suffer any sort of prejudice.

BANNED

1. Yes

2. Charles Xavier is definitely very MLK concerning civil rights. Magneto is middle Malcolm X.

3. Yes.

4. Yes

1. Hell yeah.

2. Hell no.

3. It was never just a comic book for me. But books like X:Gold may be starting to shift my opinion.

4. Sort of?????

As an old X-Men fan. The X-Men (and the Inhumans) have always been a stand in for the Jewish people. Especially the Jewish people who emigrated to the US in early 20th century and post World War II from Europe. In that they think that the purpose of life was to do something positive with their lives (ie. not seeth with anger and resentment) and serve society. The powers they developed was obviously a stand in for the innate skills and abilities that resides in all people.

Their fight for civil rights has always struck me not just a fight for rights. But for opportunities to live a peaceful lives. They never allowed obstacles or the hostility from others from doing what they must. Another great thing about them (again until recently) their purpose was to be the bigger person, stand up for the weak. Even when taking on enemies, they did not have a triumphalist attitude about it. If possible they tried to understand the prejudice. If not they would just leave them be and get on with what they had to do.

The X-Men never ever struck me (until the 00's) about being loved, accepted and needing everyone to like them. There is also the influence of African American's and the church in their struggle against unfairness.
    • “The moment will arrive when you are comfortable with who you are, & when you don’t feel the need to apologize for anything or to deny anything. To be comfortable in your own skin is the beginning of strength.” ― Charles B. Handy
    • "We are not what we own or what we do for a living. We are who we choose to be, which is so much grander than any possession we can possibly acquire". - Alyssa Gross

1. yes but not only. Mutants can be a stand-in for many marginalized people or individuals, not just visible minorities, as well as people who are oppressed in some regards but privileged in others...

2. in very superficial ways, yes.

3. they have correlations to everyday society... in a comic-booky way...

4. the series was never really meant to expose specific real world issues or support specific politics. Contrary to popular belief, superhero comic books (and fiction in general) aren't the best medium for that. Racial minorities or LGBT people aren't super-powered mutants.

The idea that racism, slavery and violence are bad was a given but Claremont rarely got into the details of what is oppressive or not in "everyday society" (one notable exception was that NM issue about bullying). His message of inclusiveness was also a far cry from today's identity politics.

What the book did was give marginalized people heroes they could easily identify with and give others an opportunity to empathize with marginalized people. Regarding the civil rights movement, the book explored broad themes like integration vs separatism, conciliation vs lashing out, getting equal vs getting even... In other words, food for thought not a political pamphlet.
    Last edited by Lutecius; 04-08-2018 at 12:18 PM.

Mighty Member

I think X-Men are mainly about racism-biologism, eugenics and genocide. That is why most x-men villains are evil biologists (Apocalypse, Sinister, Miss Sinister, Dark Beast, Sugar Man)

and the fear of being replaced by other group, or the fear of older generations for younger generations

Genosha had strong paralels to the Apartheid, but also to Zionism (should be integrate in our countries or create a country for our kind?), and the powers-difference awakening at puberty has paralels with being gay

I don't think X-Men should strive to be allegories about these social issues. I prefer the franchise as science fiction about a world in which some people are born with a gene that gives them superpowers. How would that affect society?

BANNED

The metaphor came full circle if you consider Marvel choosing to marginalise the Mutants with the Inhumans.

1. Yes
    2. No. MLK abhorred violence. Xavier recruits and trains child soldiers. Magneto and the Brotherhood are closer to extremist groups like Hamas.
    3. Much of it is allegorical for real life people, events etc.
    4. I mean, it is just a comicbook, but I’m sure there are people who claim that X-Men comics/cartoons saved their lives.

BANNED

The number 2 question depends on who is writing. Mike Carey's Magneto is parallel to Malcolm X. Grant Morrison's Magneto parallels Harmas.