Astonishing Member

Default Is there a Bleach (anime) thread? If not let this be it.

Just instead of going through the humongous anime thread for conversations on one of my favorite anime's (like a California prospector panning for gold) I thought maybe start a Bleach thread to discuss one of my more favorite modern-ish anime. There is a live action (or has it already been released?) adaptation coming out in Japan, but this is not about that; it is about the cartoon. I know some are way ahead because they read/collect the original source material (my friend that introduced me to the show goes that route). I am just a fan via Toonami/Netflix, so I am aware there are storylines I haven't seen yet. My favorite character is Captain Toshiro Hitsugaya. One thing I always liked about Bleach is while Ichigo is no doubt the main character, lots of other characters get time to shine and have their characters developed during the show. It also doesn't fall into the Dragonball trap of having the main character evolve so far above his co-stars that they become useless as the stories proceed. Tien and Krillin beneath the notice of Big Bads that Goku has to work to defeat.

Extraordinary Member

I think the Bleach fandom has died down in recent years, especially since the manga has ended.

I'm curious how far you got in the show so far, since I have my own opinions and don't want to give any spoilers away. But the arc to rescue Rukia is universally considered to be the high point of the series. Truly great stuff. The fights for the most part continue to be rather good.

My favorite character is also Captain Toshiro Hitsugaya. Cool powers, a cool backstory, and his pairing with Rangiku is comedy gold. In Japan he's actually the most popular character, though there's been some backlash against him in the west.

Fantastic Member

I think the bleach fandom will start coming back a bit with Tito kiba announcing on his Instagram that he's writing something new with bleach.

I never did finish the anime or manga. I did like it however. Some of my friends hated the ending so much they washed their hands of it. Is the ending that bad? I need to finish that series.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I never did finish the anime or manga. I did like it however. Some of my friends hated the ending so much they washed their hands of it. Is the ending that bad? I need to finish that series.
    I wouldn't say it's worse than the Aizen arc was, but that arc could get by on the momentum from the Soul Society arc, while by the end the best days were long, long behind Bleach.