Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

I've picked up issues 0 & 1 and like it so far. It's great to discover a well realized universe I know nothing about!

Would those already well versed in the series recommend picking up the omnibus that's just been released?

Default Threads merged

Just a quick notice to let you all know both of the Project Superpowers threads have been merged into this one at request of a user; hopefully that streamlines discussion a little better! Thanks and carry on!

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS VOL. 3 #2
    The world has faced the opening attack of a terrifying new power. Green Lama is the Earth's most powerful being and he has been left in a coma. It's up to the Project Superpowers team to come together to defend humanity. And who is the new host of The Spirit of The American Flag?
    Writer: Rob Williams
    Art: Sergio Davila
    Cover A: Francesco Mattina
    ON SALE DATE: 9/5/2018
    https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513026872302011

NOTE: Don't know why there's "01" on the cover . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vigilant View Post
    I've picked up issues 0 & 1 and like it so far. It's great to discover a well realized universe I know nothing about!

Would those already well versed in the series recommend picking up the omnibus that's just been released?
    Sure! It would give you the backstory on this universe starting with the "origins" of this universe then delving into the characters adjusting to the modern world and some with new powers. My one caveat is the story can get bogged down at times with the sheer number of characters.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C72513026872302011

NOTE: Don't know why there's "01" on the cover . . .
    I'm guessing just a editing mistake, and I'm sure it will be fixed before printing. I hope so, I mean haha.

I'm hoping we get more action from Masquerade. She's been awesome in other things I've read. Would like her to shine. But this new American Spirit is kinda interesting so far too.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vigilant View Post

Yeah ... it'll fill you in on how they disappeared and what happened when they were released. Be prepared for a TON of characters, some of whom are basically ciphers.

The current series seems much more tightly focused.

Yay!! Back to the original storyline finally!! The last two series sucked!

And how many issues is this? Is it an ongoing or a mini?

Quote Originally Posted by FrogMan View Post
    And how many issues is this? Is it an ongoing or a mini?
    With Dynamite . . . who knows?

I don't know if anything has been said about whether this is planned as a limited-series or an on-going yet.

So issue 2 came out and there are several things to note:

1) this issue definitely establishes that this is a continuation of the original Project Superpowers storyline. The Scarab is the same character as from Chapters 1 and 2, and it seems safe to conclude at this point that this is an extension of the earlier stories.

2) along those lines, we get some clarity about what was going on with Death Defying Devil from the original Chapter 2, where it became clear that the suit had been placed in the urn but Bart Hill had not joined the others in it. This issue indicates that the same force that created the urn ALSO created the uniform (which consists of nanobots, which is why it seems sentient). Not sure how it'll play itself out by the story's end, but it definitely seems something bigger is going on with 'Devil.

3) Green Lama is both singled out as the most powerful hero, and then ... dealt with as the real villain reveals himself. I can't really see Lama's fate being final, but it sure looks it. Was a bit of a surprise, to tell the truth.

3) The origins of the urn are hinted as being alien, not mystical, and certainly not tied to Zeus. Pandora is apparently some sort of space conqueror named P:andora. Not sure what I think about this - except that it potentially opens the door to finding out what happened to the spaced themed heroes of Project Superpowers, none of which showed up in Chapters 1 or 2. Again, the reveal here was a bit unexpected, but was enjoyable enough.

4) The earth is now faced with a full-on invasion. The few heroes we've seen seem a bit disorganized and on the ropes -- although the new American Spirit seems promising and a nice addition to the stable of characters in the PSP universe. I was definitely pleased with both the Scarab and Samson's appearances in this issue, and got a chuckle out of the confusion with Black Terror. Overall, this is definitely what I've been waiting for Dynamite to do with all these characters.

On a final note, Sergio Davila is knocking it out of the park on the artwork. REALLY enjoying what I'm seeing on the pages here - very well done and I can easily see Davila being scooped up by the Big 2 at some point. Just not right now. 'Cause I'm really enjoying this.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Read the latest issue. I'm loving this new series, hope it keeps going in this direction! The story is exciting, the art is great. Miles ahead from the other stuff. Dynamite has a winner with this one.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Read the latest issue. I'm loving this new series, hope it keeps going in this direction! The story is exciting, the art is great. Miles ahead from the other stuff. Dynamite has a winner with this one.
    Just got issue #2 yesterday.
    Not sure if I agree with this series being a "winner", but at least if has gotten the franchise back on track (somewhat) after the previous two detours.

Overall, just not really feeling like Rob Williams has the right handle on these characters. They seem a bit too generic in attitudes, as if you could easily plug in almost any other superhero group and only need some minor changes to make it work for them as well.

Due out tomorrow:

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS VOL. 3 #3
    Flight is dead. The invasion has begun, a Project Superpowers team member has been killed and another is missing. Meanwhile, Amani gets a visitor in hospital. But is it the one she wants? If it's darkest before the dawn, this is midnight for the world. And Pandora wants his box. Can anyone stand in his way?
    Writer: Rob Williams
    Art: Sergio Davila
    Cover A: Francesco Mattina
    Cover B: Ed Benes
    Cover C: John Royle
    Cover D: Philip Tan
    Cover E: Stephen Segovia
    Cover F: Sergio Davila
    (U.S. Cover) Price: $3.99
    ON SALE DATE: 10/10/2018
    https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...13026872303011

Cover B by Ed Benes:

A little too much cheese cake, Mr. Benes?

Cover C by John Royle:

So the latest issues out and a bit more info is provided about P:andora (at least about his relation to the urn). Apparently it's a container of some sort that was ripped from his heart (so I guess it contains his heart?). Not sure how it completely squares with the previous chapters of the series, but it broadens the scope of the universe considerably (to encompass space themes).

In any event, it seems Lama is dead, although I've my doubts about this. Previously it was indicated that the heroes were granted immortality by their time in the urn, and this is briefly mentioned in the issue. So who knows what Lama's real fate is? He definitely looks dead in the issue (his body is displayed prominently on P:andora's ship - along with other mages from other worlds). The break out star of the issue, though, is Samson - who holds the line on the invasion in New York. He has some quite humorous lines and observations as well - and the issue def revolves around him and the Scarab. The ending was a slight surprise, but not upon reflection. Makes sense that 'DDD (whatever it is at this point) could pull that stunt.

Overall, a good issue which pushes things along nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    So the latest issues out and a bit more info is provided about P:andora (at least about his relation to the urn). Apparently it's a container of some sort that was ripped from his heart (so I guess it contains his heart?). Not sure how it completely squares with the previous chapters of the series, but it broadens the scope of the universe considerably (to encompass space themes).

In any event, it seems Lama is dead, although I've my doubts about this. Previously it was indicated that the heroes were granted immortality by their time in the urn, and this is briefly mentioned in the issue. So who knows what Lama's real fate is? He definitely looks dead in the issue (his body is displayed prominently on P:andora's ship - along with other mages from other worlds) . . .
    Haven't bought/read the issue yet, so I'm only going by what you said here.

As to if Green Lama could be dead or not,
    * the urn was created by ripping out P:andora's heart? (Ewwwwww!)
    * if Green Lama gained immortality from his time in the urn, and the urn's creation involved ripping out P:andora's heart, might the original possessor of the heart involved in the creation of the urn be the one thing that can trump the immortality that had been granted by Green Lama's time in the urn?

Just a thought, and somehow I don't think Green Lama will still be dead by the time the story ends, though they could just make him a spirit or something, too.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Haven't bought/read the issue yet, so I'm only going by what you said here.

As to if Green Lama could be dead or not,
    * the urn was created by ripping out P:andora's heart? (Ewwwwww!)
    * if Green Lama gained immortality from his time in the urn, and the urn's creation involved ripping out P:andora's heart, might the original possessor of the heart involved in the creation of the urn be the one thing that can trump the immortality that had been granted by Green Lama's time in the urn?

Just a thought, and somehow I don't think Green Lama will still be dead by the time the story ends, though they could just make him a spirit or something, too.
    It's possible the creator of the urn could really kill them. It would add an element of suspense to the story that their immortality takes away. I dunno.

But I hope he's not dead. I like these characters. (And I also hope this isn't a six issue run too -- I feel like there's so much world building that could be done here).