Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default What comics are you reading?

What independent comics are you reading? What's good about them? Looking for recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayne911 View Post
    What independent comics are you reading? What's good about them? Looking for recommendations.
    Maybe it would help if you told people what you generally like first?
    I could recommend things, but are your reading interests similar to what an old guy like me tends to read?

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe it would help if you told people what you generally like first?
    I could recommend things, but are your reading interests similar to what an old guy like me tends to read?
    Thats kinda hard to do with independents cause they dont fall under the usual superhero comics. Im looking for something unique and different with a good story.

small press afficionado matt levin's Avatar

Dark Horse: Incognegro, socio-historical b&w about a reporter passing for white, championing (as best he's able) black notables; Resident Alien, who's passing (hmmm...a theme for me?) as a human doctor in a slice of life story; Usagi Yojimbo, b&w historical fantasy concerning a (rabbit) samurai's journey for justice and enlightenment; Abstract Studios: Strangers in Paradise, b&w narrative of three modern women tied to political spies and assassination; Hillbilly, single-issue stories about an Appalachian witch-killer (by The Goon's Eric Powell); Boom: Abbott, another hard-bitten, female reporter; Grass Kings, a family community of survivalists, who may be harboring (perhaps unknowingly) a serial killer--distinctly and beautifully rendered in watercolors; Scout Comics: Smoketown, a corrupt town where the 'good guys' face bad bad odds.
    And of course, anything from those in my signature--
    Last edited by matt levin; 02-24-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Age/Bronze, Age/Reptiles, Alex&Ada, Anne Bonnie, Astro City, Bone, Briggs Land, Cerebus, Criminal, Courtney Crumrin, Eleanor & the Egret, Fables, Fatale, Fell, Grass Kings, Green Valley, Goon, Gotham Midnight, Groo, Hellboy, Hillbilly, Incognegro, Jack Staff, JL8, Jonah Hex, Kane, Lazarus, Little Nemo, Lone Wolf, Next Wave, Popeye, Powers, Princess Ugg, Resident Alien, SiP, Squirrel Girl, Stray Bullets, 10G, Thief of Thieves, Tuki, Uncle Scrooge, Usagi, Velvet

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWayne911 View Post
    Im looking for something unique and different with a good story.
    Well, that narrows it down (NOT!).
    Okay, how about if there's anything (style/genre) you're NOT interested in?

Would you read old Westerns? Romance comic books? Kid-stuff like Casper the Friendly Ghost? Do you want a lot of zombies or a lot of cheap sex in your comic books?

Mighty. Morphin. Freaking. Power. Rangers. One of the best comics out there. Go Go Power Rangers is a great sister title.

Astonishing Member

Let me take a moment to self-plug my own book, MAXWELL'S DEMONS. Check out this extended preview of issue 1! https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-maxwells-...dar-1809618253

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Let me take a moment to self-plug my own book, MAXWELL'S DEMONS. Check out this extended preview of issue 1! https://io9.gizmodo.com/in-maxwells-...dar-1809618253
    Let me take a moment to also plug his book, MAXWELL'S DEMONS. It's dope stuff and totally worth the price of admission.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Let me take a moment to also plug his book, MAXWELL'S DEMONS. It's dope stuff and totally worth the price of admission.
    Cheers, man!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Seriously. Easily one of the best comics out there right now.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Let me plug it as well. Maxwell's Demons is one of the best comics out there right now.

As for other recommendations I would recommend all of Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe titles: Accell, Astonisher, Incidentals, Kino, Noble, Superb & Summit. I'm also enjoying Jazz Maynard and Ghost Money from Lion Forge as well Scales and Scoundrels and Monstress from Image and Ninja-K and Bloodshot Salvation from Valiant.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Astonishing Member

You folks are the best folks. Thanks!

The current Archie reboot series is great. I have never been much of an Archie reader but I decided to read Mark Waid's reboot series in trade and I am so glad that I did. It's a fun slice of life book that has plenty of great and funny moments. The highlight of the series for me is Archie Andrews, I don't think I have ever read a series with a more likeable and relatable protagonist.

I would also highly recommend Skottie Young's I Hate Fairyland, it is one of the best comics I have read this year.
    Last edited by KC; 03-09-2018 at 04:38 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Archie.
    Fighting American.
    Doctor Star.
    X-O Manowar.

Saga
    The Autumnlands
    The Wicked and the Divine
    Paper Girls