Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New Project: Superpowers Series

Just saw this at Newsarama. As someone who loved the original "Chapters" and hated the more recent retooling by Ellis, this sounds promising.

Looking forward to it.

https://www.newsarama.com/39389-proj...ad-writer.html

Let's not forget (or maybe we should?) last year's Hero Kllers limited series!

Please yes, let's forget this piece of crap! What a stinker!

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Just saw this at Newsarama. As someone who loved the original "Chapters" and hated the more recent retooling by Ellis, this sounds promising.

Looking forward to it.

https://www.newsarama.com/39389-proj...ad-writer.html
    Ellis' take on Superpowers didn't work for me either. Herokillers was even worse. The original series was good. I especially enjoyed Black Terror and the Owl. Hopefully we'll get something similar.

The one series i've been wanting to come back the most!

Quote Originally Posted by The Great Usagi View Post
    The one series i've been wanting to come back the most!
    But will they get it right this time is the The $64,000 Question.

All-New Member The Barrel-rider's Avatar

I'm pretty excited about this. I read the original chapters and minis and couldn't get enough, but then it just stopped and I never expected to see the universe I grew to love back again. I know this is a reboot, but it certainly sounds like it's the same world as before. Does anyone know any more on that? Is it a complete reboot like Blackcross was that resembles the old status quo, or is it a continuing of the old status quo in a new, fresh way?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

My passion for Project Superpowers faded. Then they announced that Ellis would be in charge of version 3 and the bloom had been off the Ellis rose for me for sometime so it made it easy to stay away.
    With Dark Horse letting CGW2.0 end and Archie faltering on Dark Circle 2.0 as well I think I'm just sticking with VALIANT. I just hope with their leadership change that they don't turn into Acclaim 2.0 also.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by The Barrel-rider View Post
    I'm pretty excited about this. I read the original chapters and minis and couldn't get enough, but then it just stopped and I never expected to see the universe I grew to love back again. I know this is a reboot, but it certainly sounds like it's the same world as before. Does anyone know any more on that? Is it a complete reboot like Blackcross was that resembles the old status quo, or is it a continuing of the old status quo in a new, fresh way?
    I feel pretty much the same way about the original chapters. This sounds like it's going to be a reboot that stays true to the original series? Not a dramatic departure like Ellis did.

But with the urn in play they can have a multiverse of P:SP universes. So I'm not overly concerned so long as it's good.

Default Project Superpowers Appreciation Thread

Okay - so issue #0 for the new series is out, and I have to say I'm very pleased. If you're a fan of Project Superpowers when it originally came out (the Chapter 1 and 2 with related minis and ongoings), then you're going to be happy with this. If you've never read the characters before and are just looking to try the title out -- then you should find this suitable.

Basically, it provides a pretty seamless recap of the story of them being interred in the urn, and leaves it open as to what happened when they were freed. The actual state of Death Defying Devil, however, seems pretty directly related to how he was left at the end of Chapter 2 - so if you're a long time fan of the property (like I am), then this is easily read as the further adventures of the original series. And, again, if you're completely new to the characters, then no worries, everything is presented straight up new, where you can jump in w/o having any prior experience of any of them.

This is what I as a fan of Project Superpowers have been waiting to see. It's been a long time coming, but well done Dynamite.

Liked Chapter Three #0. Nice recap & setup for this next volume.

So the first issue is out and basically re-introduces Masquerade, Black Terror, Samson, and the Scarab, as well as gives the American Spirit a new host. 'Devil and the Green Lama also are in it - I won't say what transpires because I don't want to spoil anything - but the vision Lama had in #0 seems to be coming true.

A decent set up for what's to follow. The characters are definitely the ones from Chapters 1 & 2 - only here the focus is more closely defined among a fewer number (so no overload of a cast of virtual ciphers). I was glad to see Masquerade play a prominent role in the story (her mini was always my fave of the spin-offs) ... and the direction her life has taken is a pleasant and interesting surprise. It's going to be interesting to learn what the heck is going on with 'Devil.

Some nice art by Davila too. The panel of Samson stopping the plane from crashing was definitely something I had to pause over.

Very happy with this so far.

Some of the character drawings from the original run:

and here are others: