Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I'll see if I still care come August (or September or whenever it actually gets released by Dynamite).

Astonishing Member

Does anyone have a list of the Golden age comics that have these characters? Apparently you can download legally since they are in the public domain.

Quote Originally Posted by shooshoomanjoe View Post
    Does anyone have a list of the Golden age comics that have these characters? Apparently you can download legally since they are in the public domain.
    A list of all of them?

You do realize how many different characters were a part of Project Superpowers at one time or the other?

You're also talking various characters published at one time or the other by various different companies. Some characters appeared maybe a few times in features that were around 8 pages or so; some characters also may have been published by more than one company.

Best thing to do is check the Wikipedia entry for the series (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Superpowers) and see if that gives you the information you want or if you have to do more looking beyond that.
    And don't forget some characters (like "Death-Defying 'Devil") were originally published with a different name ("Daredevil") that may no longer be available since another company had taken the name since then for a character of their own.
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 05-22-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Just saw this at Newsarama for anyone that's interested.

https://www.newsarama.com/45748-full...error.html#s22

Annnd a new Black Terror series coming in October.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07...omic-dynamite/

Annnd a new Black Terror series coming in October.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/07...omic-dynamite/
    Well, never read anything he wrote before (at least as far as I can remember), and when the article describes the premise as
    In this series, Bob Benton aka the Black Terror, is living in the 1970s and contending with his post-war mental health as well as the rapidly evolving social landscape around him.
    I really don't think this is aimed towards a guy like me.

Just read the first issue of the new Death-Defying Devil series. I'm assuming it's a mini because this didn't read like the set up for an ongoing at all. In fact, it's a bit of an odd issue.

The overall story reads well - Simone's always been a good writer, and that's evident here. But the main plot point seems to involve a house that a real-estate developer wants access to, so he needs the tenants to leave. Hence, thugs harassing them, threatening them, etc. It's a bit melodramatic, tbh -- the police won't intervene because the tenants are a mix of lower class people with a variety of issues and the authorities are in the backpocket of the developer. Slightly over the top in that regard. There seems to be the suggestion that one of the tenants (a little girl) may actually be a ghost or some sort of supernatural manifestation. She's overlooked when the tenants introduce themselves to 'DDD but then speaks to him anyway. So obviously something fishy is going on. Indications are the developer probably isn't simply a slimy real estate dude, but something more.

Not sure what to think, really. It certainly stands apart from the Chapters of the previous P:SP storylines. Nothing about it seems to require that it be about the Death-Defying Devil. Maybe that will change as the story proceeds, but for a first issue it was puzzling. No real continuity with anything Dynamite's done with this character previously, and nothing in the first issue to really make one care about who 'DDD is. He's a cipher confronted with a mystery in the midst of a crisis. If you like the character then maybe you'll want to stick around. If not, I can't say I read anything that would make a new reader care.
    Last edited by Ishmael; 08-07-2019 at 02:32 PM.

So, the second issue of 'Death Defying Devil is out -- and I have to say this is a really weird book. The story isn't bad, but I really don't see why any of this requires 'Death Defying Devil or anything related to Project Superpowers. The whole story seems like it could have ANY costumed character in it, and that's not exactly a strong selling point for the tale. It does have some interesting bits in it - and maybe by the end it'll become clear why this whole story requires 'DDD as its protagonist -- but at the moment, this is just odd.

On another note, Antarctic Press put out an "Exciting Comics" last week (first issue), which is their take on public domain characters (particularly Black Terror, Airboy, Miss Masque, and a few others). A bit old school in its storytelling (two cops partner up to find out about these mysterious deaths) but with an intriguing plot. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes these characters and wants to see another take on them. It's not better or worse than Dynamite's - but it is enjoyable to see someone taking a shot at them other than Dynamite given its recent misfires (Ellis' botched revamp, the insane teen superkillers take, etc).

So the first issue of the new Black Terror mini hit the stands - and it's pretty good. Like the new 'Death Defying Devil mini, this is a bit of a reboot of the character - and not clearly related to the previous "chapters" storylines. That said, it works. It picks up in the '70's and focuses on the Terror's alter-ego as a pharmacist. In that regard, it delivers a character centered story that's been lacking many of the P:SP series before. Won't spoil it for anyone other than to say that it's enjoyable. He's retired but a bit addicted to the heroing business - and looking for opportunities to don the costume again. Bemis definitely provides a good backstory that entertains. A good read for sure - and much better than some of the recent things they've done with this franchise.

Death Defying Devil #3 is out - and I really don't know what to say about it. This is just ... "different" suggests that it's an alternative take on the character like what Ellis did a few years back ... but it's not so much that as just completely unrelated to anything intrinsically about the character. I can't even review it because it was so ... well, bad, basically. The story's bizarre - there's no reason for it to be about 'DDD - and it really isn't all that engaging. I'm not sure I'm gonna continue on with this series (even though it's half way completed).

Black Terror #2 hit the stands, and it seems this series is also going to be a bit different than thought. The first issue - which I thought was great -- ended on what looked to be a clear cilffhanger. But the second issue opens in the middle of a story that is completely unrelated to what happened before: Terror's been captured by some sort of cult guru who's using him to power up himself and his followers.

It's not a bad read, but a bit jarring given that it had nothing to do with what came before. I thought we were going to get a series that delved into BT's identity a bit more -- but he's virtually a cipher in this issue as the focus is on a completely new character who's a civilian bystander. This seems to be a common story-telling technique these days, but I gotta confess, I find it bland. I really have no interest in supporting cast characters who serve as the focus of the narrative while the hero is relegated to the background. I suppose it's supposed to be more relatable - or to open up new narrative paths - but it actually makes all the story-telling beats about someone other than the hero. Given that BT has virtually no identity whatsoever since Dynamite brought him back, this is a major mistake. Even the previous series (back when the character first returned as a part of P:SP Chapter 1) was pretty threadbare regarding his characterization. I guess I expected more given the first issue set up.

Anyway, not bad, but slightly disappointing. I really feel like Dynamite is missing the mark with these current solo-centered series. One ('DDD) is a story that doesn't require 'DDD at all (so far as I can tell) ... and now the second (BT) seems like it might morph into a set of discontinuous issues that center on someone other than the Black Terror (if the 3rd issue solicit is anything to go by). I'm not sure why Dynamite would choose this path after the "Chapter 3" series (which seemed to set up some nice stories to pursue) - but they did. Seems a weird way to squander Chapter 3's potential, and the interest of the readers who were expecting a follow through.

So Black Terror #3 is out, and it continues on the same path as the previous issue: centers on a secondary character (this time, Tim, BT's sidekick) with very little Terror in it. However, this issues has some interesting (and entertaining) bits in it, so it's not as annoying as the last one. Given that Tim is Terror's sidekick, there's definitely more of a sense that this directly relates to Terror himself (even if Terror is virtually absent). Second, the narrative is borderline meta - in that it opens with the acknowledgment that everyone's gone into the urn, and that this has messed up continuity, etc. I think the one thing that's really enjoyable about this is that the tone is reminiscent of Marvel's Nextwave by Ellis and Immonen. There's a playful irony evident here which makes the weirdness of the issue work, and which actually gave me a chuckle. So, if you enjoyed Nextwave then you'll probably enjoy this. If not, then this is probably going to frustrate you somewhat. I am interested to see how all of this going to end, i have to say.

Astonishing Member

So Black Terror #3 is out, and it continues on the same path as the previous issue: centers on a secondary character (this time, Tim, BT's sidekick) with very little Terror in it. However, this issues has some interesting (and entertaining) bits in it, so it's not as annoying as the last one. Given that Tim is Terror's sidekick, there's definitely more of a sense that this directly relates to Terror himself (even if Terror is virtually absent). Second, the narrative is borderline meta - in that it opens with the acknowledgment that everyone's gone into the urn, and that this has messed up continuity, etc. I think the one thing that's really enjoyable about this is that the tone is reminiscent of Marvel's Nextwave by Ellis and Immonen. There's a playful irony evident here which makes the weirdness of the issue work, and which actually gave me a chuckle. So, if you enjoyed Nextwave then you'll probably enjoy this. If not, then this is probably going to frustrate you somewhat. I am interested to see how all of this going to end, i have to say.
    Have to say between Black Terror and Death-defyng Devil they are wearing out the good will from the original series. I accepted Blackcross based on who wrote it and the idea it was a one-off. I dropped the one with the sidekicks after an issue. Why even use these characters if you really don't want to tell tales about THEM (as opposed to archetypes). I'll finish the current minis but unless they knock my socks off with the Previews, I don't think I'll be back for any new PSP stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    Have to say between Black Terror and Death-defyng Devil they are wearing out the good will from the original series. I accepted Blackcross based on who wrote it and the idea it was a one-off. I dropped the one with the sidekicks after an issue. Why even use these characters if you really don't want to tell tales about THEM (as opposed to archetypes). I'll finish the current minis but unless they knock my socks off with the Previews, I don't think I'll be back for any new PSP stuff.
    Yeah, I agree with all of this. Blackcross got a pass because it was Ellis, but I wound up not liking it. I didn't even look at the one with the sidekicks when I read the description of it. I thought they'd made the right decision when they went did Chapter 3, and was really hoping these minis would continue along those lines. But they don't and while I find Black Terror enjoyable enough for what it is, I find 'DDD to not be enjoyable (and won't review it any more as a result, barring some major revelation in the last issue) - and am disappointed with all of this overall.

Like you've said, rather than Dynamite's PSP line being a virtual automatic buy for me (like it nearly has been), I'm going to probably pass on things in the future, unless they directly relate to the chapters they've done previously. There's so much they've could've explored (where are the space heroes? What are the street characters up to? How did the absence of magic based heroes effect the supernatural?) that they simply ignored and squandered. Instead, we get big names who seem to be writing these stories for the paycheck, but who really have no knowledge or interest in characters from this era who aren't from DC or Timely. A real shame.