Cover A by Francesco Mattina

Cover B by Ed Benes

Cover C by John Royle

(still a few more for issue #1 . . .)

More covers for PROJECT SUPERPOWERS VOL. 3 #1 - due out August 1st, 2018

Cover D by Philip Tan

Cover E by J. G. Jones

Cover F by Stephen Segovia

One last covers for PROJECT SUPERPOWERS VOL. 3 #1 - due out August 1st, 2018

Cover G by Sergio Davila

Some nice looking covers. Between that and the previews, I'm cautiously optimistic about this.

Default Project Superpowers Appreciation Thread

Okay - so issue #0 for the new series is out, and I have to say I'm very pleased. If you're a fan of Project Superpowers when it originally came out (the Chapter 1 and 2 with related minis and ongoings), then you're going to be happy with this. If you've never read the characters before and are just looking to try the title out -- then you should find this suitable.

Basically, it provides a pretty seamless recap of the story of them being interred in the urn, and leaves it open as to what happened when they were freed. The actual state of Death Defying Devil, however, seems pretty directly related to how he was left at the end of Chapter 2 - so if you're a long time fan of the property (like I am), then this is easily read as the further adventures of the original series. And, again, if you're completely new to the characters, then no worries, everything is presented straight up new, where you can jump in w/o having any prior experience of any of them.

This is what I as a fan of Project Superpowers have been waiting to see. It's been a long time coming, but well done Dynamite.

Liked Chapter Three #0. Nice recap & setup for this next volume.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

I really enjoyed the first issue, and issue zero as well. Looks like we may have a new American Flag, or whatever it's name is haha. I loved Masquerade in issue one! Reminded me of a lot of my favorite female heroes. Glad to see this back, and with a great first issue.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

So the first issue is out and basically re-introduces Masquerade, Black Terror, Samson, and the Scarab, as well as gives the American Spirit a new host. 'Devil and the Green Lama also are in it - I won't say what transpires because I don't want to spoil anything - but the vision Lama had in #0 seems to be coming true.

A decent set up for what's to follow. The characters are definitely the ones from Chapters 1 & 2 - only here the focus is more closely defined among a fewer number (so no overload of a cast of virtual ciphers). I was glad to see Masquerade play a prominent role in the story (her mini was always my fave of the spin-offs) ... and the direction her life has taken is a pleasant and interesting surprise. It's going to be interesting to learn what the heck is going on with 'Devil.

Some nice art by Davila too. The panel of Samson stopping the plane from crashing was definitely something I had to pause over.

Very happy with this so far.

Still haven't picked up issue #0 or issue #1 yet (hopefully that will happen in the next week or two), but I was sort of hoping there'd be a bit more comment on issue #1 by now?

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Still haven't picked up issue #0 or issue #1 yet (hopefully that will happen in the next week or two), but I was sort of hoping there'd be a bit more comment on issue #1 by now?
    Well, like I said, I liked it. I think they did a better job with this series then the last one.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Some of the character drawings from the original run:

and here are others:

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Well, like I said, I liked it. I think they did a better job with this series then the last one.
    How hard would it have been to do worse than the last one?

I really loved those pages. They were sketches of the characters as they originally appeared in the Golden Age. Ross touched some of them up somewhat (like Black Terror) for P:SP so that Dynamite could have their own versions. And in the main his flourishes didn't change much.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I really enjoyed the first issue, and issue zero as well. Looks like we may have a new American Flag, or whatever it's name is haha. I loved Masquerade in issue one! Reminded me of a lot of my favorite female heroes. Glad to see this back, and with a great first issue.
    I think the character draped in the flag is referred to as "American Spirit".

I did finally get issues #0 and #1, and while they weren't terrible, they felt a bit generic, too. Really couldn't get the sense of the former Golden Age characters I was hoping for, but maybe that will happen as the story progresses (or not).

Also, a quibble over the Sergio Davila cover:

Does anybody else get the feel that this could have easily come from a rejected Avengers cover or something?

Death-Defying 'Devil holding his boomerang out looks like he could easily have originally been planned to be Wolverine, while Scarab looks like a reduced-sized female with noticeably developed mammaries (almost as if that figure would have been originally the Wasp)?