Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 84
  1. #46
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    . . . (And I also hope this isn't a six issue run too -- I feel like there's so much world building that could be done here).
    Yeah, I'm waiting to see if Dynamite will just suddenly spring the idea on us that this is a limited series instead of an on-going title.
    (It feels like they've been doing that quite a bit with the limited stuff I had been buying.)

  2. #47
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522

    Default

    I think they want to see what the market is and see how long they can extend things.

    But with all the characters at their disposal from those initial books, they've got so much they can be doing. I'd love to see a crime noir type story featuring their more "grounded" and detective type heroes.

  3. #48
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    I think they want to see what the market is and see how long they can extend things.

    But with all the characters at their disposal from those initial books, they've got so much they can be doing. I'd love to see a crime noir type story featuring their more "grounded" and detective type heroes.
    Sort of a Masks 3?

  4. #49
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522

    Default

    No. Something focusing on different characters that opens up other story possibilities. Perhaps w characters like the Woman in Red (who I believe was the first female super hero ever), Mr. Face, the Green Mask, and Mr. Raven. Characters we haven't really seen who can be the basis for a story. Do a mystery story that becomes something more. I keep thinking about Watchmen, where you have these unknown characters that you really get invested in by the end. It's partly plot driven, partly character driven, and partly narrative driven (in how it was told). I keep feeling the stories here are mostly plot driven, w little backstory besides the urn limbo, which doesn't give us a lot to work w character wise. They need to do the world building and start developing the seeds they sowed earlier, plus get into the actual histories of the characters to give them depth and a genuine past. We've had glimpses of these things here and there, but nothing that's been sustained. There's been a bit too much emphasis on power sets and skills, and not much on the characters "inner lives". Backstory has come via dialogue, and while that moves the plot along briskly it doesn't fully satisfy like a flashback could. I keep feeling like they're missing some storytelling opportunities.

  5. #50

    Default

    Okay, I just discovered this thread by accident, and I'm completely surprised to learn there's a new P:SP series that continues on from Chapter Two. But in response to discussion about the Green Lama: wasn't he one of the few characters who wasn't imprisoned in the urn?

  6. #51
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    Okay, I just discovered this thread by accident, and I'm completely surprised to learn there's a new P:SP series that continues on from Chapter Two. But in response to discussion about the Green Lama: wasn't he one of the few characters who wasn't imprisoned in the urn?
    Ah, true. Which means he's really dead. Unless magic can be used to save him.

    Innnnteresting.

  7. #52
    Fantastic Member Tulku's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Delaware, USA
    Posts
    285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Ah, true. Which means he's really dead. Unless magic can be used to save him.

    Innnnteresting.
    But the prior stories (including a couple of the one-shots) seemed to indicate he gets his power from the Earth itself--so he might live as long as the planet does. Up on the space ship, he is out of luck, but if they bring him back down to Earth, he might revive. In theory.

    I really hope this is not a planned limited series. The reason I stopped reading Dynamite titles is that I got tired of the constant limited series instead of ongoing series. I used to love the Black Terror book.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

  8. #53
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    But the prior stories (including a couple of the one-shots) seemed to indicate he gets his power from the Earth itself--so he might live as long as the planet does. Up on the space ship, he is out of luck, but if they bring him back down to Earth, he might revive. In theory.

    I really hope this is not a planned limited series. The reason I stopped reading Dynamite titles is that I got tired of the constant limited series instead of ongoing series. I used to love the Black Terror book.
    That's also interesting ... that he might be restored if returned to the earth. I hope so, the Lama is one of my favourite characters.

    And the Black Terror was also one of my fave books at the time. It was a good read.

  9. #54

    Default

    Six Issue Series according to Jan 2019 solicits

  10. #55
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Six Issue Series according to Jan 2019 solicits
    I don't know if Dynamite is getting in the habit of not telling us something is a mini-/limited-series until several issues in to make it seem like it will really be an on-going series or if they don't decide on this until after they've seen how much interest there was in the first couple of issues, but I'm starting to get tired of them suddenly springing the news on us after I've already bought in to the first few issues.

    Between this and the unexpected delay with Miss Fury: Joy Division (is there even any idea if they're going to bother publishing that now?), I'm just about ready to write this company off for good from any future pull lists.

  11. #56
    Astonishing Member Captain Craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    3,259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by md62 View Post
    Six Issue Series according to Jan 2019 solicits
    They fooled me with the last Green Hornet series and it was one reason I didn't get into PSP chapter 3(or whatever this installment is called).

    I'm going to try Turok in January(again) and just go in with open eyes it could only last 5/6 issues as well.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

  12. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    They fooled me with the last Green Hornet series and it was one reason I didn't get into PSP chapter 3(or whatever this installment is called).

    I'm going to try Turok in January(again) and just go in with open eyes it could only last 5/6 issues as well.
    With Dynamite I just figure each series is limited and if it sells well we will get another volume. The Lone Ranger is on Vol 3. So if PSP Chapter 3 sells well we may get a Chapter 4.

  13. #58
    Ultimate Member MajorHoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    19,827

    Default

    After finishing issue #3, we're a little more than halfway done with this story (since we've had #0-3), and I'm still wondering what the heck is going on and why I should bother to care.

    Perhaps knowing it's last issue is #6 is a good thing, since I'll get issues #4-6 to see if/how this wraps up. Otherwise, I might have just decided to drop it now. Rob Williams' story just seems too generic and uninspired for my likes.

  14. #59
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Just got my issue #4, but did see this on Bleeding Cool.

    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/11...superpowers-4/

  15. #60
    Incredible Member Ishmael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    522

    Default

    Have to agree with Major Hoy - at this point the story feels a bit too generic. I've no idea who P:andora really is, other than some space baddy looking for the urn. His backstory seems really thin, and other than him slapping around the P:SP characters there's not much too him. The whole thing reads very decompressed (so four/five issues in, and we've basically got one event occurring), which doesn't help give a sense of depth to the story.

    Samson continues to be fun to read about though. And I still really like the art (which is pretty impressive).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •