Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
    Just got my issue #4, . . .
    Picked up my copy today, but not sure how soon I'll get around to reading it.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Just got my issue #4, . . .
    Picked up my copy today, but not sure how soon I'll get around to reading it.
    Well, I read it last night, and while I liked some of the ideas, they still don't feel like they were specifically written for these characters.

In particular, while I'm glad there was some focus on Masquerade, I'm bothered by when it took place. Originally, Diana Adams went by the name "Miss Masque", and she didn't appear in comic books until after the war in 1946, so having her already active prior to D-Day in 1944 seems off to me. (In her Golden Age stories she seemed more like one of those bored debutantes who fought somewhat pedestrian criminals rather than being more active during the days of WWII.)
    I also thought she didn't take on the "Masquerade" identity until after she had been in the urn, but I'm fuzzy on what exactly has been said about the character in previous versions of PSP.

I think they're avoiding the "Miss Masque" name so they can keep the trademark/copyright of their own version. And I don't know if one of the big two has a character with that name, but it wouldn't surprise me (sort of like how they don't call him Daredevil, but 'Death Defying Devil). But I honestly have no idea.

I think they're avoiding the "Miss Masque" name so they can keep the trademark/copyright of their own version. And I don't know if one of the big two has a character with that name, but it wouldn't surprise me (sort of like how they don't call him Daredevil, but 'Death Defying Devil). But I honestly have no idea.
    I believe avoiding "Daredevil" is directly because of Marvel Comics. (Look at how much of a pain-in-the-ass they were about DC and the ORIGINAL Captain Marvel, causing DC to eventually just give up and call their Cap "Shazam!" instead!)
    I don't know if any other comic book company has really placed a claim on the "Miss Masque" name, and even if they had, I don't believe it's as big a deal if you're just referring to the original name of the character within the text of a story (and not on the cover or anything).

I think they may have wanted to avoid confusion with AC Comics' take on the character? AC has done a bunch of reprints of public domain stories, as well as new original material with the characters. Maybe Dynamite wanted to avoid confusion (or trademark problems) with them. I really don't know.

For the record,

Issue #5 is due out Jan 02, 2019
    (Dynamite previously listed it as "ON SALE DATE: 12/19/2018".)

Issue #6 is due out Feb 06, 2019.
    (Dynamite previously listed #6 as "ON SALE DATE: 1/16/2019".)

NOTE: The above "current" dates per Previewsworld.

Astonishing Member

Yeah if this really is a mini I don't know how it's being wrapped up with so little time left.

Issue #5 still listed as shipping next Wednesday (Jan 02, 2019) on Previewsworld.
    P:andora is here, the Earth's armies lay powerless and the mightiest of the Project Superpower heroes are dead. Can P:andora reclaim and open his box? And, if so, what version of apocalypse lies within? Only Imani and The Spirit of the American Flag stands in his way. The last hero...
    Writer: Rob Williams
    Art: Sergio Davila
    (https://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/v...13026872305011)

The main cover (previously posted) is by Francesco Mattina.
    Here are some of the variant covers:
    Cover B by Ed Benes:

Cover C by John Royle:

Cover D by Philip Tan:

There are also covers by Stephen Segovia and Sergio Davila.

That Black Terror cover from a couple of posts above is amazing.

Just got my copy of issue five, and have to say I'm slightly conflicted. P:andora is so generic as to be vastly uninteresting ... but i really like some of the character moments in the story. Samson continues to delight, and the juxtaposition between his throwing Scarab and Terror's throwing Masquerade gave me a chuckle. There are some good moments in this, but overall it's falling slightly flat because (1) it's fairly decompressed (one basic event stretched over 6 issues) and (2) revolves around a villain who is just not compelling.

Still glad we get a new story with the characters though.

Read #5 recently and bought / read issue #6 today.

It was okay. Not a bad superhero story per se, but really didn't feel like the characters it was suppose to be about. A bit too generic in some ways.

If there is ever any follow-up to this also written by Rob Williams, I don't know if I'll bother with it.

I just read issue 6 and thought the ending was intriguing. The fight makes it clear the heroes are outmatched by P:andora - so they use their wits and deception to defeat him. Didn't mind seeing that at all.

So far as a couple of spoilerish things: I doubt the one death we see will stick. I mean, it's in his name for crying out loud. And the return of Lama was a pleasant surprise and seems to promise more things. The fact that the issue concludes with "end of book one" - and leaves open the question of who P:andora was - and has the enigmatic statements by Lama about basically rewriting time -- definitely makes me want to see a sequel.

There's some world building they could do here if they start letting the stories be character driven and less plot driven. Hopefully, if there's more to this particular "chapter", we'll see that.

. . . So far as a couple of spoilerish things: I doubt the one death we see will stick. I mean, it's in his name for crying out loud.
    I'm confused about that one. For some reason I had been under the impression that it wasn't "Bart Hill" (or actually anybody) in the Death Defying 'Devil suit and don't think he ever talked during this series, at least until this last issue after P:andora released him/it. But . . . who's talking if there hadn't been anyone actually in the suit?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I'm confused about that one. For some reason I had been under the impression that it wasn't "Bart Hill" (or actually anybody) in the Death Defying 'Devil suit and don't think he ever talked during this series, at least until this last issue after P:andora released him/it. But . . . who's talking if there hadn't been anyone actually in the suit?
    I thought that was weird too. Maybe the suit absorbed his personality in some way? Who knows. Hopefully they'll explain it in the follow up.