Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Movie sequels so bad they almost ruin the original

You see a film that you really like and then they make a sequel that is so bad that it almost ruins the original.

What are your choices?

Boisterously Confused

All Rambo films.

Predator 2

All successors to Underworld

All successors to The Matrix

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Venom: Let there be Carnage: So much potential. When you have a villain as dangerous as Carnage, you 100% should have made the focus on him for the movie. Mixing it with the 'odd couple' comedy angle flat out killed the movie

30 Days of Night: Dark Days: Next to Train to Bussan, 30 Days of Night was my favorite horror movie and I wanted to see the story continue...but I found the sequel a total letdown. The Sheriff should have stayed dead. It killed the impact of his sacrifice in part 1

Halloween Kills: Halloween (2018) was such a great movie. I get what they were trying to do with the sequel but I really didn't like it

Highlander II: The Quickening: The first Highlander wrapped everything up so perfectly. I get they wanted to keep that money train rolling but damn, I thought this sequel was horrible in every single way.

A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge: While the third movie was almost as good as the first, I wasn't a fan of part 2

Underworld 2: I really wanted to see this Vampire/Werewolf Hybrid fight, but I found him nerfed and the story bland. Like Highlander, only watch the first movie and that's it.

Pumpkinhead 2: None of these sequels came close to the original.
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 12-22-2023 at 05:44 PM.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Pacific Rim Uprising. Such an awful film.

Extraordinary Member

Speed 2 was awful.

None.

No sequel, no matter how bad, will or can erase the previous movie from existence. It can't make my DVD disappear.

Just ignore it.

Ultimate Member

Kingsman 2 destroyed most everything that made the series interesting

Mortal Kombat Annihilation

I still could slap the team behind that abomination.

Robocop 2, Robocop 3 and the Robocop remake. All three are utter shite and not a patch on the original.
    Formerly known as Don't pee in the (Dead)pool...

Astonishing Member

Matrix Resurrections ruined the preceding trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    None.

No sequel, no matter how bad, will or can erase the previous movie from existence. It can't make my DVD disappear.

Just ignore it.
    This. Same for any remake.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

I'm stretching the parameters a bit, but "Alien3" actively tried to ruin "Aliens."

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    None.

Just ignore it.
    I agree. I dont get the whole they ruined the series with such and such movie, they killed my childhood, they killed the first movie.

Sequels if they are bad to me are ignored. Not to be watched again. But does that mean a bad sequel keeps me from watching and enjoying the original? No.

I get a bad sequel may kill the franchise as it will keep more movies from being made but it will not ruin, destroy, or erase what came before it.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm stretching the parameters a bit, but "Alien3" actively tried to ruin "Aliens."
    You think that's bad? Alien: Covenant told us all the previous ALiens movies weren't even about aliens. They were biological weapons genetically engineered by a robot.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I agree. I dont get the whole they ruined the series with such and such movie
    For me its when the bad sequel recontextualizes what came before. Terminator 3 needed to spit on T2 to justify its existence with the "judgement day is inevitable" crap. It rendered the efforts of the heroes in that movie pointless.