Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 22282930313233343536 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    From what I've heard of the first 20 min, both the protagonist and the antagonist should be dead. This is a problem in the Marvel films. Many impact situations non super powered heroes should be bug splatter, but they're not. This doesn't help for chair gripping moments later in the film. Everyone is clearly immortal; until the plot requires otherwise. Of course, this is always the case, but these superhero moments for mortals don't help for suspension of disbelief.

I mean did you actually see Temple of Doom? Indy jumped out of a plane on a raft, over the Himalayas with a kid and a women. The flew through the air hit the side of the mountain, sledded down the side of a mountain, for gods knows how long then flew off a thousands foot cliff( all still in raft) into a river, then went down massive white water. And none of them had a scratch.

As I have said I can understand if someone who does not like Indiana Jones movies not liking this current movie. But this movie was a good Indiana Jones movie. Because Indiana Jones movies in general are not exactly ' believable" Or " realistic" In anyway shape or form. They are and have been sort of camp pulp. To one degree or another. I think people who didnt like this movie, either forgot what they other ones were like, or have grown out of that style of movie altogether. Which that I can see
    Last edited by inisideguy; 07-08-2023 at 08:41 PM.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    I mean did you actually see Temple of Doom? Indy jumped out of a plane on a raft, over the Himalayas with a kid and a women. The flew through the air hit the side of the mountain, sledded down the side of a mountain, for gods knows how long then flew off a thousands foot cliff( all still in raft) into a river, then went down massive white water. And none of them had a scratch.

As I have said I can understand if someone who does not like Indiana Jones movies not liking this current movie. But this movie was a good Indiana Jones movie. Because Indiana Jones movies in general are not exactly ' believable" Or " realistic" In anyway shape or form. They are and have been sort of camp pulp. To one degree or another. I think people who didnt like this movie, either forgot what they other ones were like, or have grown out of that style of movie altogether. Which that I can see
    I said the same thing about the fridge scene in Crystal Skull, Indy has seldom been about realism.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Heck even the Mission Impossible movies, which are supposed to be more "realistic," have Ethan doing stupidly damaging stunts or flat out taking ridiculous amounts of damage very casually.

When these things become complaints, it means people are just not into the subject matter anymore.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post

I thought that scene was silly beyond belief and that the second film was a huge step down from the first one. A sin in the past does not excuse a sin in the present. I still enjoyed it though and hopefully I will enjoy the latest film as well when I get to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Heck even the Mission Impossible movies, which are supposed to be more "realistic," have Ethan doing stupidly damaging stunts or flat out taking ridiculous amounts of damage very casually.

When these things become complaints, it means people are just not into the subject matter anymore.
    So why do I still enjoy them?

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I said the same thing about the fridge scene in Crystal Skull, Indy has seldom been about realism.
    In general people who love Indiana films hated that scene because it pushed plausibility too far. Some said it ruined the film. I don't. Though it was a certainly a very duff moment. I was dam good scene until the fridge got shot through the air like a bullet from a gun barrel ahead of the very blast itself. I've written that scene better. Part of the problem with it is that the bomb is shown too close to the fake town. That makes for good scene readability, but it presents the problem of getting Indi out of the super heat zone or whatever they call it. The town was only a mile or so away. Leaving the fridge at the location would have left our hero a baked potato covered in melted metal from the lead lining in the fridge.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I thought that scene was silly beyond belief and that the second film was a huge step down from the first one. A sin in the past does not excuse a sin in the present. I still enjoyed it though and hopefully I will enjoy the latest film as well when I get to see it.
    I loved that scene, and didn't once care that it wasn't realistic...it looked cool. It's the same with the giant round boulder in the first, no way something that big and heavy moves that quickly smoothly and quietly and yet the scene was pure fun.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

So why do I still enjoy them?
    Hey I enjoy them too. Its all about the casting and directing, I think.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Saw this movie yesterday with my mother and grandmother and all three of us really had a great time watching it. It was really fun and action packed and just a good time at the movies - hope it does well!

In general people who love Indiana films hated that scene because it pushed plausibility too far. Some said it ruined the film. I don't. Though it was a certainly a very duff moment. I was dam good scene until the fridge got shot through the air like a bullet from a gun barrel ahead of the very blast itself. I've written that scene better. Part of the problem with it is that the bomb is shown too close to the fake town. That makes for good scene readability, but it presents the problem of getting Indi out of the super heat zone or whatever they call it. The town was only a mile or so away. Leaving the fridge at the location would have left our hero a baked potato covered in melted metal from the lead lining in the fridge.
    Ugh, I hated that fridge scene. I love Indy movies, I can roll with most of the camp silliness and impossible action movie stuff, but that was far too much and stupid.

Thought it was ok I enjoyed it slightly more than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull which I overall enjoyed also. The 3rd act was nuts but in a good way it was like a Indy book or something one of those type of stories you'd read and be like this is too crazy to ever be put on film and they actually did it.

Over my personally ranking of the Indy films are Last Crusade, Raiders, Temple of Doom, Dial of Destiny, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Apart from the Temple scenes I think Temple of Doom has a largely more campy tone in part due to Willie & Short Round.

Indy's charecterization is also a bit different, although this could be explained as he's not quite the same guy as Raiders and the others yet. He's somewhat more like Han Solo at first, being more mercenary and selfish, although of course this changes over the course of the film when he decides saving the village and it's children is more important than "fortune and glory".
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Thought it was ok I enjoyed it slightly more than Kingdom of the Crystal Skull which I overall enjoyed also.
    I didn't much enjoy Crystal Skull, but I agree that Dial was ok and just slightly better than Crystal (Crystal had some chase scenes that beat out Dial's though). But Dial is just a more fitting than anything good or great. It's underwhelming. Uneven. Good moments only here and there. One big flaw early on is flashback CGI 45 yrs old Indy sounding very much like 80 yr old Ford. Someone should have told Ford that wasn't working, but I'm guessing no one had the guts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Over my personally ranking of the Indy films are Last Crusade, Raiders, Temple of Doom, Dial of Destiny, and Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.
    For me, it's Raiders / Temple, Last Crusade, Dial of Destiny, and last Crystal Skull. And Young Indiana Jones is required viewing for Indy fans and high up there for me.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Maybe they should've used AI voice technology for 1940s Indy? It was used in Mandalorian, Book of Boba Fett (For Luke) and Obi-Wan (For Vader).

Although the Luke stuff kind of didn't really capture Mark Hammill IMO. Although most of Mark as Luke (In ANH, ESB and the sequel trilogy) is somewhat more emotive than the era they're trying to capture ( The more calm, stoic Luke from ROTJ) so maybe I'm just judging it wrong.

It's kind of a problem in a lot of licensed video games, and animation where they have the characters looking young but the voice sounding old. Star Trek (25th anniversary games where everybody sounded like the movies despite it being set during TOS) for example. SW I think also kind of had that problem with Anthony Daniels, his C3PO voice in the PT,ST and all the animated stuff he's appeared in sounds very 'off' although 3PO doesn't technically age...
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 07-10-2023 at 06:58 AM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Ugh, I hated that fridge scene. I love Indy movies, I can roll with most of the camp silliness and impossible action movie stuff, but that was far too much and stupid.
    I am fine with the fridge as they tried to explain it by the Lead lined markings on the fridge but what I hated about the movie was the whole Tarzan thing.