Page 21 of 41 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

The Alien angle was something that was pretty much sticking around since the 90s, through multiple versions of the script. I think Spielberg and Ford weren't that keen on it but Lucas kind of stubbornly insisted on it. Earlier versions featured a more World War II setting, but as the project was constantly delayed and Ford aged they had to move things up to the 50s. One version of the script was even written by Frank Darabont, and it included the fridge scene.

Lucas also had the idea for Indiana Jones in a haunted house or castle, which I suppose could've worked. Spielberg worked (Although opinions differ on how much, although it's his story) on one of the more popular old school haunted house movies (Poltergeist) and it can definetly been argued that Indy's had dealings with spiritual beings anyway. Although I'm not sure how they'd work the archaeological/globe trotting aspect of things to it, although TOD was largely confined to one major location compared to the other films.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-12-2022 at 02:50 PM.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    Guess I'm weird too. Its actually the one Indy movie I watch with some frequency.
    Outside of the chase in the jungle and ant scene I liked the movie. There was too much CGI in that sequence for my taste. Given the 1st 3 films were made in the 80's I prefer Indy to be practical vs CGI.

Part of the problem is that Indy doesn't really get that much action apart from the punching scenes when you think about it. The two main chases (Motorcycle and the jungle chase) are pretty much 90% Shia. Kind of worries me about Indy 5.

It's also been noted that there's no booby traps in the film, unless you count the stairs that start vanishing into the wall in the main Akator temple/saucer.

Mangold BTW confirmed on Twitter that something will arrive in a month, presumably the teaser trailer. Good bet it's probably going to be on Avatar 2.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    The Alien angle was something that was pretty much sticking around since the 90s, through multiple versions of the script. I think Spielberg and Ford weren't that keen on it but Lucas kind of stubbornly insisted on it. Earlier versions featured a more World War II setting, but as the project was constantly delayed and Ford aged they had to move things up to the 50s. One version of the script was even written by Frank Darabont, and it included the fridge scene.
    Call me weird but I liked the fridge scene. It helps put the film squarely in the Atomic Age.

Lucas also had the idea for Indiana Jones in a haunted house or castle, which I suppose could've worked. Spielberg worked (Although opinions differ on how much, although it's his story) on one of the more popular old school haunted house movies (Poltergeist) and it can definetly been argued that Indy's had dealings with spiritual beings anyway. Although I'm not sure how they'd work the archaeological/globe trotting aspect of things to it, although TOD was largely confined to one major location compared to the other films.
    The castle scene in Last Crusade was pretty fun. I could see an Indy film being set in and among old European aristocracy.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Call me weird but I liked the fridge scene. It helps put the film squarely in the Atomic Age.
    I liked the fridge scene for the same reason. Except for where the thing is shot through the air like a bullet from a gun ahead of the very blast itself. I'd of had Indy get in the fridge, then.....

FLASH! ... KABOOM BAM!!!!!!!!

Long shot of instant wasteland!

( "**** they killed Indiana!!" )

Still long shot but higher up show trucks from bottom of screen travelling out to fake 'modern' town.

Low knee height shot of large truck wheels pulling up to wreckage. Still low; truck door opens and large silver boots step on smoking ground. Camera pulls up to reveal 'Spacemen' in silver suits, actually radiation suits all silhouetted against giant not that distant mushroom cloud.

They immediately start collecting shielded film cameras and other devices.

"Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!"

All the shocked silver figures turn towards the fridge lying on it's face. (until this moment never in shot.) Two figures roll it over. Out bursts Jones sitting up from the waist in a jump scare toward the close camera "GAAAAHH!!!"

Next scene shows Jones in the decontamination shower.

Mighty Member

I think this could be really fun as long as it keeps the spirit of Steven Spielburgs vision for the first movie which was based off of movie serials from the 30s and 40s. As long as it does that it could be good.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I had no problem with the Crystal Skull and thought it worked as well as any of the other Indy storylines. Maybe I'm the weird one.
    We level headed IJ fans who somehow "get" KotCS while others are in left field moaning about aliens exist out here.

The only scene I really take issue with, and I get why it is there(Tarzan was huge in the era), is the Mutt swinging with the monkeys moment.
    Should the aliens have just been aliens instead of aliens who live in the spaces between the spaces, most likely. Went a big too much with it but oh well.

So now we are going to overthink the ending of IJ5 aren't we studio suits? The last thing I want is a test audience who didn't get IJ4, judging IJ5.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Indian Ink View Post
    I liked the fridge scene for the same reason. Except for where the thing is shot through the air like a bullet from a gun ahead of the very blast itself. I'd of had Indy get in the fridge, then.....

FLASH! ... KABOOM BAM!!!!!!!!

Long shot of instant wasteland!

( "**** they killed Indiana!!" )

Still long shot but higher up show trucks from bottom of screen travelling out to fake 'modern' town.

Low knee height shot of large truck wheels pulling up to wreckage. Still low; truck door opens and large silver boots step on smoking ground. Camera pulls up to reveal 'Spacemen' in silver suits, actually radiation suits all silhouetted against giant not that distant mushroom cloud.

They immediately start collecting shielded film cameras and other devices.

"Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!"

All the shocked silver figures turn towards the fridge lying on it's face. (until this moment never in shot.) Two figures roll it over. Out bursts Jones sitting up from the waist in a jump scare toward the close camera "GAAAAHH!!!"

Next scene shows Jones in the decontamination shower.
    You should have written the film.

BANNED

Indiana Jones has always been compromised..... "Family Guy" pointed this out already. I mean seriously the kind of women that "Rabbi-Spielberg" gets hard from...woof.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by They Live View Post
    Indiana Jones has always been compromised..... "Family Guy" pointed this out already. I mean seriously the kind of women that "Rabbi-Spielberg" gets hard from...woof.
    Well, to be fair Kate Caphaw ended up as his wife so happy ending for them. I thought Elsa in Indy 3 was kind of cute

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Well, to be fair Kate Caphaw ended up as his wife so happy ending for them. I thought Elsa in Indy 3 was kind of cute
    Elsa's Austrian good bye was excellent. Way better than the German good bye.

Funny scene too. Great facial expressions from Ford and Connery.

Empire Magazine set to reveal some images shortly I think.Covers show one photo of Indy, and another illustrated one with him on a New York street near the Empire State Building, with the sky very bright for some reason.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-18-2022 at 10:21 AM.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I'm mostly just curious about what "feel" they're gonna go for. Crystal Skull (the worst film IMHO) had a great general approach of Cold War 50s sci-fi, and so it's like.....this gonna do more of that or try to deviate from that?

If they do more of Cold War sci-fi?....is maybe setting it in the 60s gonna basically be the only difference from Crystal? If done right, I suppose that could work if they really capture some essences of the 1960s.

If they try to deviate too much?....will they jump more sharks and risk taking Indy in directions that don't feel right and natural?
    Last edited by JBatmanFan05; 11-18-2022 at 11:44 AM.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

I think Mangold is dead on on this point: (of course, how to fly right at Indy's age the right way is the hard part and going to be subject to much argument)
    For Mangold, it was all about the challenge of making a final Indiana Jones film. “It became really important to me to figure out how to make this a movie about a hero at sunset,” he says, noting that he steered the film further in that direction. “The issues I brought up about Indy’s age were not things I thought were being addressed in the material being developed at the time. There were ‘old’ jokes, but the material itself wasn’t about it. To me, whatever you greatest liability, you should fly straight towards that. If you try to pretend it’s not there, you end up getting slings and arrows the whole way.”
    https://www.empireonline.com/movies/...rld-exclusive/
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”