Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Default Infinity Countdown #4 - Spoilers

Another good issues, though I as crazy about the art here. In several panels, everyone looked really flat.

Decent colour work though, everyone looks bright and the framing sequence continues, with expected great art from Deodato Jr.

Story wise, the Guardians return to Knowhere, with the Power Gem. Rich wants to take it to go find his brother, but Star Lord says no. Gamora suggests they all hunt down the rest of the Stones and become the new Infinity Watch, but no one is up for that either. Everyone fights, Drax takes the stone.
    Peter is summoned by Cosmo, for an audience with Collector and Grandmaster who have the Reality Stone, but it doesnt work. Phylla-Vell and Moondragon from the next universe over then show up to explain why. She has a re-design and looks pretty cool.

Surfer is with Galactus, who refuses to help.

Adam is with Pym-Tron, who is beating him, until the Surfer shows up to help. But they cant stop him and the missiles, but then Big G turns up after all. The heroes win, but Big G has to eat the planet to do so.

This reverts him back to purple, and he hungers. So Norrin reveals he agreed to be Herald again.

Pym escapes, Adam has the new yellow Soul Gem.

Despite the weird mix of MCU characterisations and the speed at which this event is chugging, I'm really digging it. Cannot wait for next issue!
    Last edited by legion_quest; 06-06-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Reverting Galactus and Surfer to status quo is stupid. Such a waste.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Drakeon View Post
    Surfer wont last, it never does.

Galactus should have gone back at the end of Ultimates; that should have been his story - he has to sacrifice his happiness to save everything; become hated and feared because he is ultimately selfless.

But no.

I'm glad to have him back tbh, but this wasnt the best ay to do it

BANNED

That was one of the coolest parts of this issue to me. That last page was bad ass!

We've only seen the two of them together in this reunited relationship for one page so far, so we'll see where it leads from here but I'm totally down for it. Some pairings are just too classic to not return to and Galactus and Surfer is one of them. Hopefully some fresh wrinkles will come from their renewed pairing.

As for the issue overall, I thought it was great. The art is uneven (a problem that should be a non-issue once Dedato is the primary artist on Infinity Wars) but the story itself is really cool. This build-up has had so many crazy moments that I can't imagine how nuts the actual Infinity Wars series is going to be.

BANNED

Hate the art, the story is boring and Surfer is ruined.

Can't wait for this to be over and the guardians to stop being bad unfunny copies of the movie.

Surfer going back to Galactus is as common as my starting better eating habits. Way too often and never sticks.

Reverting Galactus sort of hurts because it just felt... I dunno... lame. I like Galactus as a devourer and the concept of necessity. But it just felt played out. Or Galactus has been getting too much panel time recently. I dunno.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    Surfer wont last, it never does.

Galactus should have gone back at the end of Ultimates; that should have been his story - he has to sacrifice his happiness to save everything; become hated and feared because he is ultimately selfless.

But no.

I'm glad to have him back tbh, but this wasnt the best ay to do it
    Agreed. The entire Ultimates arc was a hero's journey for Galactus that ended up being unfulfilled because Ewing liked Lifebringer Galactus, even though he was no longer going to write the character and should have known he'd be reverted asap. The series ending ended up being underwhelming as a result. I still want to see what Ewing was going to originally do or at least read about it.
    Last edited by Chainsaw Vigilante; 06-06-2018 at 02:25 PM. Reason: added six words to the end

I'm disappointed this is the end of Lifebringer Galactus and in the way in which it was done. It didn't feel epic enough to justify the reversion. And even then, as Lifebringer, he generated energy rather than craved it. With his powers, he could have easily destroyed Ultron, the missiles, and his tech *without* having to consume the planet.

BANNED

THANK YOU!!!!!! So stupid I liked LifeBringer Galactus.

What makes no sense is why did 1 measly Planet mean that he automatically goes back to being the Devourer. Clearly everything that took place in Ultimates was nothing but a waste of time and MY MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Vigilante View Post
    Agreed. The entire Ultimates arc was a hero's journey for Galactus that ended up being unfulfilled because Ewing liked Lifebringer Galactus, even though he was no longer going to write the character and should have known he'd be reverted asap. The series ending ended up being underwhelming as a result. I still want to see what Ewing was going to originally do or at least read about it.
    Yeah, Ewing's letter at the end of Ultimates just made me think he originally planned for that ending we both thought was coming, but changed his mind and it felt unfulfilling as a result

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by stormphoenix View Post
    THANK YOU!!!!!! So stupid I liked LifeBringer Galactus.

What makes no sense is why did 1 measly Planet mean that he automatically goes back to being the Devourer. Clearly everything that took place in Ultimates was nothing but a waste of time and MY MONEY.
    If you liked the story, how was it a waste of your time and money?

This is comics. Very few things are permanent and any story can be undone down the line. It doesn't diminish the merits of or the enjoyment of the original story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    If you liked the story, how was it a waste of your time and money?

This is comics. Very few things are permanent and any story can be undone down the line. It doesn't diminish the merits of or the enjoyment of the original story.
    Yeah, I’m very aware this is Comics. This was a waste of time. LifeBringer Galactus didn’t last long enough to be that much interesting with his new Role now he’s back to the way he is. Enjoying how much the book is is not the problem here.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I'm disappointed this is the end of Lifebringer Galactus and in the way in which it was done. It didn't feel epic enough to justify the reversion. And even then, as Lifebringer, he generated energy rather than craved it. With his powers, he could have easily destroyed Ultron, the missiles, and his tech *without* having to consume the planet.
    This, the stakes didn't feel high enough for him to revert in my opinion. I know Duggan is trying to hit some of the beats of Infinity Gauntlet and Annihilation/Annihilation Conquest but the build up does not feel the same.

I don't mind Galactus reverting but the circumstances didn't seem as dire (as oppose to the Ultimates 2 story) and the it felt rushed and hollow.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    To be fair, as Lifebringer, it would have been more interesting to see him wanting to 'rescue' the lives of the people of that planet by un-doing what Ultron did to them.

But then we'd likely be in here discussing how the Lifebringer didnt respect AI life or some such

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Warren View Post
    That was one of the coolest parts of this issue to me. That last page was bad ass!

We've only seen the two of them together in this reunited relationship for one page so far, so we'll see where it leads from here but I'm totally down for it. Some pairings are just too classic to not return to and Galactus and Surfer is one of them. Hopefully some fresh wrinkles will come from their renewed pairing.

As for the issue overall, I thought it was great. The art is uneven (a problem that should be a non-issue once Dedato is the primary artist on Infinity Wars) but the story itself is really cool. This build-up has had so many crazy moments that I can't imagine how nuts the actual Infinity Wars series is going to be.
    That last page is the most common and cliche scene in anything related to Silver Surfer. It has been done so many times it has lost any value.

Galactus as the lifebringer was actually interesting. Exploring it futher would have been great.

And what happened to Surfers power signature being Dawn's lifeforce?

Yet more status quo turnarounds everytime there is a new writer. Smh.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-