Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    And you've summed up my problem with so many of the older characters. How many times does Johnny Torch have to prove he's not just a reckless kid? Every run of Fantastic Four gives him that character arc, so why exactly am I supposed to care about it any more? And I hate the idea of Laura falling into that trap, where writers decide to just keep rehashing the same stories, over and over, when we've already had them. Like, we've had the story of Laura overcoming the trigger scent, we don't need it to be told again in two years, and then again four years after that, and then another two years after that, and then five years after that, and then again the following year. We can just . . . let her not have to deal with the trigger scent ever again, because she's managed to overcome it.
    I guess it might depend on how much you care about Johnny or like his personality to begin with, because he's probably always going to be a "reckless kid" to some degree.

Astonishing Member

And you've summed up my problem with so many of the older characters.
    And if Marvel is around in 20-30 years the same cycle will repeat itself with the newer characters. Marvel House of Recycle.

But in fairness Johnny Storm constantly returning to a manchild after becoming an adult is probably a reflection of real life. Some people will never evolve and mature. How many Peter Parkers do we know in real life who is always broke and screws up? How many man sluts like Logan exist and end up old bachelors?

Maybe this never evolving theme for Marvel is a reflection of real life. At some point a lot of adults never progress.

There's nothing I'm really bouncing off the walls for, but I'll be keeping an eye out for:

X-23's new series
    Domino's solo (not technically part of Fresh Start, but close enough)
    Storm's new solo (see above)
    Coates on Captain America

Other than that, just sticking with X-Men: Red, most likely.

Astonishing Member

X-23 is the one I'm worryed/excited about the most. One of she-hulks biggest complaints was that there was too much time spent on her mental state(witch was done well)then actions that fits laura better, especally if Tamaki adresses her history of abuse and depression. ANW being to happy was a complaint and if Tamaki dose it right I see it as a refined version of Liu's run. Art is going to be good and new X-Men/ NYX kids rumored to be supporting cast. Alot of positives but explaining the name is going to be what makes or breaks it.

Other then that mutiple man and iron man seem intresting, and spiderman after the first arc is done and if is well receved and maby avengers in trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    X-23 is the one I'm worryed/excited about the most. One of she-hulks biggest complaints was that there was too much time spent on her mental state(witch was done well)then actions that fits laura better, especally if Tamaki adresses her history of abuse and depression. ANW being to happy was a complaint and if Tamaki dose it right I see it as a refined version of Liu's run. Art is going to be good and new X-Men/ NYX kids rumored to be supporting cast. Alot of positives but explaining the name is going to be what makes or breaks it.
    Honestly, I'd be just fine with "Oh, young man Logan is back. OK, here's your mantle again." and her not taking another codename. X-23 can be for marketing purposes or whathave.

Where did you hear the NXM/NYX kids were supposed to be part of the cast?

Astonishing Member

Looking forward to the X-23 art. Story? I hope there's an improvement over Tamaki's She-Hulk run. I think the art over there affected my judgement. Some issues made my eyes hurt.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post
    Honestly, I'd be just fine with "Oh, young man Logan is back. OK, here's your mantle again." and her not taking another codename. X-23 can be for marketing purposes or whathave.

It was a general assumption people had when Tamaki was talking about the supporting cast. Its not likley but it has better chance of them appering/doing some thing then other x books.
    And for the name alot of people were angry she's not wolverine anymore and if is handled badly it will turn a good chunk of fans away. When some people are comparing her being X-23 to magneto going by his concentration camp number you got to handle it with some grace.

And you've summed up my problem with so many of the older characters. How many times does Johnny Torch have to prove he's not just a reckless kid? Every run of Fantastic Four gives him that character arc, so why exactly am I supposed to care about it any more? And I hate the idea of Laura falling into that trap, where writers decide to just keep rehashing the same stories, over and over, when we've already had them.
    This similar argument came up in the recent Thanos run with his obsession of Death, and while it's valid I had to confess I didn't mind that returning theme at all. Much like I'm not disappointed to see the return of Banner struggling to control a monster. I _am_, however, completely over the trigger scent and agree it should be done with.

The discrepancy between the two scenarios for me is how central to the character they are and what it means to remove it. Some personality flaws/attributes are so core to who the character is that it's akin to having an Ironman comic without any armor. Yeah , logically there's no reason it couldn't work, in fact you could argue a "decker" like scenario could be cool, but it simply wouldn't be Ironman, and everyone would eventually demand the armor make a return.

Now with Laura ... she's not as "legacy" as other characters, an I personally don't see the trigger scent as central to her ... in fact I see it as little more than a gimmick tacked-on to what would be central: her fighting off the brainwashing and having had her childhood effectively stolen. Having her continue to grow and gain friends is fine ... but I would say she should always be struggling at least in some little part with what was done to her. It may get old to some ... but to me ... it's kind of core to her character. Characters need core flaws, and if they completely grow out of them we either end up with an indistinguishable mess of people (what separates hero A from hero B other than appearance and powers if every aspect of their persona is changing constantly?) or a sea of Captain Americas (everyone eventually becomes morally perfect).

A bunch of heroes defined solely by their powers ... I'd read DC if that's what I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Anduinel View Post

Despite the fact the Wolverine was my first "favorite hero" to the point that I went to a convention and paid way too much for Wolverine #1 back in 92-93 (forget the year) it still irritates me that they are bringing him back. His death was decent, merging in OML was the perfect solution for older readers like me (hey, Logan aged _with me_, cool!) while freeing Laura to be something fresh, and yet here we are on the verge of undoing all of it despite both said comics doing reasonably well. I don't like it, I don't like the "where's waldo" cameos hes been getting, I _Really_ don' like that Logan would decide to carry around an infinity stone (how does leave me alone and most powerful artifact in the universe get along?), ... just ugh.

1. Sentry = 100% character.
    Sentry is my favorite comic book character, so that's a given. But I do like Jeff Lemires writing, so having him as the writer is just icing on the cake.

2. Venom = 90% character, 10% writer.
    Venom (Eddie Brock) is one of my favorite characters. Donny Cates is a writer with a lot of potential, so that makes the book even better.

3. Deadpool = 100% character.
    Deadpool too is one of my favorite characters. I don't know the writer Skottie Young, so Deadpool is pretty much the main factor why I'll be getting the book. I also think that with the Deadpool 2 movie right around the corner the book will get quite a big push from Marvel and that we'll get many issues out of it.

4. Thor = 40% character, 60% writer.
    Jason Aaron did a pretty good job on "Thor - God of Thunder". I didn't read the Jane Thor comics, but I've heard that they were pretty decent.

5. Avengers = 60% characters, 40% writer.
    Again Jason Aaron, who does a good job, but this time I like the Avengers roster. I would like to see Captain Marvel with long hair and bigger boobies again, but oh well, can't have it all.

6. Spider-Man = 100% character.
    Spider-Man is my second favorite character, after the Sentry. I've been following Spider-Man for a long time now and I'm not sure if Nick Spencer will do a good job on the writer. Nick Spencers humor is... ugh.

Other books:
    - Not sure about Immortal Hulk. I like the idea of the plot, but I'll still wait to see what others think about it, before I consider picking it up.
    - Doctor Strange is a no-no for me. I prefer stories on Earth over stories in space and I prefer my wizards to have powers, instead of being depowered.
    - Life of Captain Marvel is a no, due to the writer being terrible (obviously IMO).
    - Tony Stark: Iron Man and Fantastic Four also no. I'm not a fan of Dan Slott and I don't really like the Fantastic Four.
    - Black Panther and Captain America also no, due to a terrible writer (obviously IMO).
    - Ant-Man and The Wasp also no, since I don't like the characters.
    Last edited by ENTRYS; 04-07-2018 at 02:55 PM.

I am Definitely getting:

. Fantastic Four- The fact that the Fantastic Four is back combined with the creative team of Dan Slott and Sara Pichelli makes this a must-read for me.
    . Amazing Spider-Man- For Spider-Man and because I believe that Spencer can deliver a book of similar quality to his Ant-Man and Superior Foes of Spider-Man books.
    . Tony Stark: Iron Man- Iron Man is a character that I think Slott is great at making stories for.
    . Deadpool- I like Deadpool and I love Skottie Young's work.
    . Immortal Hulk- I think the direction Ewing wants to go in with Bruce is interesting.

I like Laura Kinney, but the fact that she is going to go by "X-23" again (if Marvel doesn't want to call her Wolverine, they could just give her a new name) and the fact that Mariko Tamaki is writing it (I hated her She-Hulk run and her Supergirl: Being Super mini-series) means that I won't be reading her new book.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Category: Picking Up
    -Wakanda Forever
    -Multiple Man
    -Captain America
    -X-23
    -Black Panther
    -Death of the Inhumans
    -eXtermination

Category: Will probably give a try
    -Quicksilver: No Surrender
    -Ant-Man & the Wasp
    -Fantastic Four
    -Immortal Hulk

Category: Probably not picking up, but may change my mind if I see some good scans
    -Avengers
    -Sentry
    -Cosmic Ghost Rider
    -Tony Stark: Iron Man
    -Venom (probably only picking up the Miles Morales issue)
    -Amazing Spider-Man
    -Thor (was really only picking it up for Jane)
    -Dazzler:X Song (i was sooo excited about this but now it's about her "Inhuman fans")

Category: Nope
    -Doctor Strange
    -Captain Marvel
    -Deadpool

This Fresh Start really sucks. Half of my pull list just consists of minis.

so have all the titles been announced yet?

Quote Originally Posted by FlashFreak View Post
    The most excited I’ve been about Marvel in years.

Definitely picking up:
    Iron Man
    Fantastic Four
    Cosmic Ghost Rider- Donny Cates went to college in my city and I want to support his work.
    Doctor Strange

Maybe:
    Hulk
    Amazing Spider-Man.......not sure because I’m not a fan of Spencer but I love the character.
    Avengers

I assume Daredevil will still have a book and I’ve been reading and collecting his books for years. Also, very excited for Wolverine to be returning and not Old Man Logan. So I will be picking up the Hunt for Wolverine story as well.
    I’m sorry but I had too chuckle over that one.

Fantastic Four (if Slot fails to impress me I’m dropping it after one arc)
    Avengers maybe
    That’s about it really. Unfortunately not really impressed.