Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    There's the occasionally badly drawn panel in most comics, but on the whole I find the idea that Marvel's comics have bad art to be ridiculous, especially when most people who make the argument try to say that USG's awesomely expressive art is bad. Maybe I'm just not looking at the same books, but I'm pretty happy with the art in most of my Marvel pulls and I can't remember the last time I've loved the art in a book as much as Anka's on Runaways.
    Well, art is, of course, subjective.

But I can think of a few examples with both of the Big Two where artists were placed on books they should not have been on or having "flagship" books stuck with subpar art.
    Apologies for the snark, but the argument is a bit silly. At the end of the day, brand recognition and marketing matter above all else when it comes to sales. Books with incredible art and writing can flop while books lacking in those areas can thrive. The s**tiest of Batman books would still sell better than a god-tier Metamorpho book. Yes of course there's the occasional exception, but this tends to be the case.
    It seems like you need a lot of different combinations to come together for a book to really sell, beyond name recognition.

BANNED

Why is this still a thing? Je ne sais pas.

What good story elements are supposed to enrich what we have now? I`m no fan of the character but in what way does this enrich his mythos? What does it change? What does it add up?

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post

What good story elements are supposed to enrich what we have now? I`m no fan of the character but in what way does this enrich his mythos? What does it change? What does it add up?
    I agree with this (though I am a fan of the Joker ).

Quote Originally Posted by Aioros22 View Post

I am guessing that the main and perhaps only reason for the book is DC Comics wants to sell comic books to people that like to read stories about the Joker. Whether it does anything to enrich his mythos is low on the list of priorities.

BANNED

Can Geoff Johns stop trying to force other people to use his ideas? What good have Jason and Grail done for Wonder Woman?
    When Snyder and King refused to touch it with a 10ft pole that alone should have led to this story being killed.

But I agree with the above poster, its just an excuse to publish more Joker comics.

Spectacular Member AzraelOnline's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    Talking about that... I remember one image with NAPIER surname in one costume..

Attachment 64366

A POLICE COSTUME.
    Many forget that the name was also confirmed again I think in the early/mid '00's, as well as The Killing Joke origin and death of his wife.
    Azrael Online - The Source for all things Azrael

Quote Originally Posted by Armor of God View Post
    Can Geoff Johns stop trying to force other people to use his ideas? What good have Jason and Grail done for Wonder Woman?
    When Snyder and King refused to touch it with a 10ft pole that alone should have led to this story being killed.

But I agree with the above poster, its just an excuse to publish more Joker comics.
    That is sort of the reason the reason Warner Bros., which owns DC Comics, made Jeff Johns the Chief Creative Consultant, to ride herd over things at DC Comics.

Fantastic Member

I believe in the combo of an artist sticking to a run for a while and all the good names at DC, like Fabok, Clay Mann, Otto Smitcht etc etc doesn't have a strong artistic run yet.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

How is her forcing anything? He started a plot with the Jason and Grail storyline and a lot of people wanted it to be resolved, so he asked James Robinson to tell the story. Nobody was forced to write it.

Johns said from the start the three jokers is his story to tell, Snyder and King weren't refusing to tell it, Johns just said from the start he wanted to write it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    How is her forcing anything? He started a plot with the Jason and Grail storyline and a lot of people wanted it to be resolved, so he asked James Robinson to tell the story. Nobody was forced to write it.

Johns said from the start the three jokers is his story to tell, Snyder and King weren't refusing to tell it, Johns just said from the start he wanted to write it.
    I do not believe anyone wanted Jason, not before his debut and especially not after it. Grail is dead on arrival. Next to Kalibak and Orion she's a waste of space.

So you dont see the contradiction? Robinson is writing Johns threads but not King and Snyder. Why couldn't he have "asked" them to do the same thing as Robinson is doung? And why does Johns want to write this but not Grail and Darkseid storyline?
    Its pretty clear that the Batcrew wasn't having any of this while the Wonder gang is a hapless soul. Either way he's neither a Wonder Woman nor Batman writer, he has never worked on them and historically these characters are the ones from whose fans he's gotten the most criticizm from. He has no business making these important decisions when it comes to these franchises.

Leave Joker as it is, why do we need 3 of him? Why not 3 Penguins? Or 3 Bane's? Just silly.

Making Joker 3 separate entities is probably the worst thing that could be done to the character. And that's after he cut off his face to troll Batman
    but you still have to wait for the story to conclude before you tear it to pieces.

although I would like Johns to stop trying to write Batman and the characters in his corner forever I understand that he is capable of telling a good story in some way shape or form.

He has no business making these important decisions when it comes to these franchises.
    Agreed. I don't like John's Batman, and dunno, why is he of all people in charge of this story. And which editor allowed the 3 jokers idea. Not sure where they're going with this plot thread, or why was it needed in the first place, but I'm not a fan of Johns being allowed to write this important ( i'm assuming) Bat story.

I was just thinking about this the other day as to when John's will further this revelation. Although unlikely, I thought John's could build up on how we already know two of the Jokers. One Joker being the one we've seen since the beginning of the New 52, and the other Joker is the Batman Who Laughs (which I would consider to be another Joker on this world) and then the identity of the last Joker could be revealed as Martha Wayne who someone survived the events of Flashpoint. I would think this is a good way of saying there are three Jokers, because it allows the reader to distinguish that the New 52 Joker is the Joker we've always known.

Incredible Member

Well, DC Universe: Rebirth has one of the Jokers attacking a Civic City candy store (I'd wager this is the pre-Crisis one), and another one caught outside of Baltimore and transferred to Arkham (post-Crisis, I bet.) Presumably, these are both separate from the "true" New 52 Joker who appears in Metal. It's tempting to say Harley's Arkham showdown with the Joker in (pre-Rebirth series) Harley Quinn #25 would've had to be the Baltimore one... but, he possesses knowledge of Harley's New 52 origin... and is apparently still in Arkham during the Joker Loves Harley storyline in Rebirth issues #11-13.

BANNED

This is just going to be Johns who desperately needs to explain why the Joker has inconsistent characterisation throughout the decades, isn't it? Just like he felt Barry Allen's bow tie needed an origin story?