Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

The only purpose of this comic seemed to be to bringing back Prof X. It reads well in trade but month in and out, its really boring.

Looks like issue 12 is the final issue, or least, it will be for me.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The past two issues were a little write-for-tradish (the art was lovely but all the double-page spread didn't justify what was a very quick read), but I don't think it deserves toxic fandom vitriol, either.

It's been both a good meta commentary on contemporary x-comics at points, some nice character moments and everyone's been used for plot device points moreso than characterization. X is secondary to this combination of characters and how the variety of artists actually helped, in my mind. I'd be very surprised if X lives past this series.

Expectations factor in too -- after IvX I was TERRIFIED of this series because I loved Soule up until that damn crossover. I've been pleasantly surprised-to-wow'd consistently.
    I respect your opinion, but I disagree.

Rogue only shine in issue 1.

Mystique, Warren, Bishop and especially Gambit, I do not know what they are there, they are less than wallpaper.

And Betsy moderately has had panels for her relationship with PhantoX lol.

I do not think that Soule knows how to make a team book, at least with AXM he has not done it, and it has been totally disappointing.

It hurts because the cast was great, but this book is "" "X" "" and many wallpapers.

Besides that the writing does not convince me, the characters do not behave like themselves.

I'm still reading the book. I love the cast, it has good plot but the decompressed plot and alternate artists really hurts the reading experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegarogue View Post
    Besides that the writing does not convince me, the characters do not behave like themselves.
    I disagree with "the characters do not behave like themselves". I think their voices are pretty much correct, although I agree most of them don't do much in the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    I disagree with "the characters do not behave like themselves". I think their voices are pretty much correct, although I agree most of them don't do much in the book.
    For example, Remy is an empty shell.

Mystique the same.

And Rogue is not Rogue, she would not behave so cold, with this "supposed return" from her mentor, but when you know she was probably the most affected by the death of Xavier.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Omegarogue View Post
    For example, Remy is an empty shell.

Mystique the same.

And Rogue is not Rogue, she would not behave so cold, with this "supposed return" from her mentor, but when you know she was probably the most affected by the death of Xavier.
    Well, early in the Astonishing Remy had some nice moments with Rogue even if Kelly Thompson totally outclassed them. Mystique's not much more than one of the old men in the muppets, but I'm grateful even for that after the lunatic Lobdell/Bendis and others made of her (she was many things, but stark raving mad was never one of them. Girl had Agenda for days).

Otherwise, I hear you on Rogue -- thinking on it I saw her reaction in Astonishing as a form of shock; for someone you revered, died, came back but nothing like you remember them as, it'd be disorienting. But that's only rationalizing it and not really reflected in the story. It is LIGHT years away from what Uncanny Avengers led us to expect of her (on that note, I never fully bought the full magnitude of her savior worship of Xavier in that series, but that's another matter).

I just sometimes wonder if we've all come to expect a little too much out of what we call "characterization." Me and everyone else uses that term, but this thread has me really thinking about it.

Everyone's had a role to play, and I don't always think every book needs some major interpersonal character study of each and every character. Lifedeath was amazing, mostly because it was peppered between issues where everyone had a role to play but didn't change their character dramatically. The Outback era was beloved, but even that didn't have many character moments as we understand them now.

That we're all talking about it and letting it soak in is a testament that Soule did a pretty good job, as opposed to Fraction's low moments or, Milligan's indifference or -- God Helps Us All -- Austen. And I'm still relieved we didn't get IvX pt 2

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    Well, early in the Astonishing Remy had some nice moments with Rogue even if Kelly Thompson totally outclassed them. Mystique's not much more than one of the old men in the muppets, but I'm grateful even for that after the lunatic Lobdell/Bendis and others made of her (she was many things, but stark raving mad was never one of them. Girl had Agenda for days).

Otherwise, I hear you on Rogue -- thinking on it I saw her reaction in Astonishing as a form of shock; for someone you revered, died, came back but nothing like you remember them as, it'd be disorienting. But that's only rationalizing it and not really reflected in the story. It is LIGHT years away from what Uncanny Avengers led us to expect of her (on that note, I never fully bought the full magnitude of her savior worship of Xavier in that series, but that's another matter).

I just sometimes wonder if we've all come to expect a little too much out of what we call "characterization." Me and everyone else uses that term, but this thread has me really thinking about it.

Everyone's had a role to play, and I don't always think every book needs some major interpersonal character study of each and every character. Lifedeath was amazing, mostly because it was peppered between issues where everyone had a role to play but didn't change their character dramatically. The Outback era was beloved, but even that didn't have many character moments as we understand them now.

That we're all talking about it and letting it soak in is a testament that Soule did a pretty good job, as opposed to Fraction's low moments or, Milligan's indifference or -- God Helps Us All -- Austen. And I'm still relieved we didn't get IvX pt 2
    I think that X-men Legacy and Uncanny X-men 171 gave enough reasons for Rogue to care about Xavier. We also shouldn't forget that Rogue then (when she joined UA) couldn't join any official X-men team.

EDIT:
    I also think about Austen when I think about Soule. They are similar except that Soule is making more jokes.