View Poll Results: Seeley's Green Lantern Run Thus Far?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Love it!

4 14.29%
  • It's ok. Still giving it a chance

17 60.71%
  • Hate it.

7 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Seeley's Green Lantern Run Thus Far?

So I just got done finishing Superhero Trafficking story arc from Seeley and I have to say after 3 arcs by him that I'm not really feeling what he's doing on Green Lanterns, everything is just ok nothing great. I also am not a fan of the direction he is hinting at with Simon and Jessica, it's one of those eye roller's for me where just because a guy and a woman are friends doesn't mean they're going to start developing feelings for each other.

So what are your overall thoughts on the series so far?

BANNED

Now able to look at it as a whole, Humphries' run, while inconsistent at times, was still probably the second best Rebirth run, only beaten out by Luen-Yang's New Super-Man. Brilliant and well-explored lead characters, a nice supporting cast, a fantastic balance between sci-fi action and slice of life drama, one of the best villains in the GL mythos and one Hell of a finale. I loved it.

By contrast, Seeley got me to drop the book after eight issues and I only stuck around that long because of the characters and the occasional really nice moment. On the whole, while not the worst comic ever by any stretch, everything that made his predecessor's run so good is gone here. Simon and Jess are both less interesting, he got rid of the supporting cast, all of the fun and energy of the book was sapped away, the plotting is sloppy and predictable and yes, it's quite annoying that he looks to be setting up Simon and Jess as a couple (although it is LESS annoying than JL writers who don't get her character at all pairing her up at random). Singularity Jain was easily the highlight of the run from what I read.
    Last edited by Assam; 04-09-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Always Rakzo

Pretty damn good. More natural dialogue, more interesting ideas, better character development and much, MUCH better sense of humour that doesn't hurt my brain. Pretty much all the contrary of the previous run.

I'm hoping that we're getting a long run here.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    Now able to look at it as a whole, Humphries' run, while inconsistent at times, was still probably the second best Rebirth run, only beaten out by Luen-Yang's New Super-Man. Brilliant and well-explored lead characters, a nice supporting cast, a fantastic balance between sci-fi action and slice of life drama, one of the best villains in the GL mythos and one Hell of a finale. I loved it.

By contrast, Seeley got me to drop the book after eight issues and I only stuck around that long because of the characters and the occasional really nice moment. On the whole, while not the worst comic ever by any stretch, everything that made his predecessor's run so good is gone here. Simon and Jess are both less interesting, he got rid of the supporting cast, all of the fun and energy of the book was sapped away, the plotting is sloppy and predictable and yes, it's quite annoying that he looks to be setting up Simon and Jess as a couple (although it is LESS annoying that JL writers who don't get her character at all pairing her up at random). Singularity Jain was easily the highlight of the run from what I read.
    I think you're on the money because those are my thoughts exactly! When Seeley took over, the series felt so dull, and incredibly boring. Simon and Jessica don't sound like how they did during Humphries run and Humphries had a ton of cool things going around when he was writer. Such as the Phantom Lantern arc.

It's funny though when Seeley took over GL from Humphries he removed all of his supporting characters and when Humphries took over Nightwing from Seeley, he got rid of all his supporting characters (except for Detective Svoboda)

Mighty Member

I think it's terrible. Sometimes you can tell when someone is having a ball writing something. I don't get that from Seeley. He should just stick to Hack/Slash. I miss Humphries.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Black View Post
    I think it's terrible. Sometimes you can tell when someone is having a ball writing something. I don't get that from Seeley. He should just stick to Hack/Slash. I miss Humphries.
    I sort of got that from his Nightwing, which he clearly wasn't as excited about as Grayson. If a writer isn't that passionate about it, they don't produce their best work. I liked the handful of issues of this I read, but I didn't feel bad dropping it when I had to cut way back (including to fit other titles by him on my pull list). Imaginary Fiends and Brilliant Trash are better options for this writer currently. I'd be fine if he left this title and went over to Wonder Woman.

I liked what I saw of Jess in this, but I'm not super into either of them to begin with, so I'm not even inclined to spend money I don't have and read the Humphries run. Who didn't exactly knock it out of the park over on Nightwing, from the sounds of things.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I'm enjoying it, nothing special, but I have no problems and I like Seeley exploring things other writers could be scared to because of fan backlash.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I sort of got that from his Nightwing, which he clearly wasn't as excited about as Grayson. If a writer isn't that passionate about it, they don't produce their best work. I liked the handful of issues of this I read, but I didn't feel bad dropping it when I had to cut way back (including to fit other titles by him on my pull list). Imaginary Fiends and Brilliant Trash are better options for this writer currently. I'd be fine if he left this title and went over to Wonder Woman.

I liked what I saw of Jess in this, but I'm not super into either of them to begin with, so I'm not even inclined to spend money I don't have and read the Humphries run. Who didn't exactly knock it out of the park over on Nightwing, from the sounds of things.
    This is weird because I loved Seeley`s Nightwing but Humphries took over and I dropped it. It was pretty meh.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Maybe they both switched books to tank them lmfao
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I like how Humphries developed Simon's family more and the interaction between the characters were gold. Humphries still had gas in the tank to keep going. I also miss Robson Rocha art.
    volthoom-takes-control-of-jessica-cruzs-green-lantern-ring-1.jpg

I thought Jess and Baz were more charming in Humphrey's run. They feel like cold quip machines in Seeley's. And the stories he tells are incredibly meh compared to the Phantom Lantern arc. Still, I held on and only dropped the book when Seeley started teasing romance between Baz and Jess. I feel conflicted because I don't want their book to get canceled but it's just so boring. I'll have to get my Jess fix from Justice League Odyssey.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HandofPrometheus View Post
    I like how Humphries developed Simon's family more and the interaction between the characters were gold. Humphries still had gas in the tank to keep going. I also miss Robson Rocha art.
    volthoom-takes-control-of-jessica-cruzs-green-lantern-ring-1.jpg
    An Earth Lantern having a support cast is incredibly rare nowadays, as is an Earth Lantern spending any amount of time on Earth! I'm not a fan of the Simon and Jessica romance angle, it feels cliched for male/female law enforcement partners to end up together romantically, especially after starting out not getting along.

Incredible Member

I really liked Seeley´s Nightwing run and Humphries´Green Lanterns run. But after they exchanged series, well, I find both series really boring. That´s sad because I like Jessica and Dick is one of my favorite characters.

Astonishing Member

It's been decent enough so far but nothing to really fawn over yet.

I'm sure I should care about the villain of this run so far (Singularity Jane) but she hasn't been written interesting enough yet.

As for jettisoning the supporting cast I don't know about that. Jessica's sister literally just made a return appearance and it hasn't been all that long story wise to really see them as missing.

a step down from humphries, and i say that as a seeley fan. humphries just had a good thing going. i felt i just read the most recent green lanterns arc (inhuman trafficking?) in the youngblood relaunch over at image.