Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Default Can a standalone Snoke and Ben Solo interquel film work now?

Been thinking about the chances of something like this, something which can cover part of the period leading up to the current sequel trilogy and the First Order's rise, give us an idea of who Snoke is, Ben's full fall to the dark side, more chance to develop Hux and Phasma's roles leading up to Episode VII and VIII... but the problem now is that it sounds like Mark Hamill, the guy you would definitely need to make this movie work, even more than Harrison or the late Carrie Fisher, sounds like he wouldn't be keen on coming back. So would that kibosh a film like that ever getting made to reveal the stuff going on in that period?

I figure that Rian Johnson will be doing his trilogy as a Legacy style piece with a good generation or two after Rey's time with the newest force users, and the Game of Thrones guys trilogy will almost certainly be an Old Republic tale set some good time before Phantom Menace, so it would be down to someone else to direct it, but I'd like to see it happen.

They might just hand it off to a novel writer. That was kind of the case with Claudia Gray's Bloodlines, which takes place 5 years before TFA, and deals with Leia's political career falling apart due to her being outed as Vader's daughter (Something which she never told Ben, which might've pushed him deeper to the dark side). The incident also tips Leia off that there is a real danger of the Empire returning, so she sets up the resistance.

The novel was, in part, developed in consulting with Rian Johnson; The novel, like the Canto Bight/DJ sequence in the film, deals in part with how the shady 'grey' areas of the Star Wars galaxy helped the First Order out.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Bloodline_(novel)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Snoke was a garbage villain. So much potential wasted.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Serpico Jones View Post
    Snoke was a garbage villain. So much potential wasted.
    If he was a garbage villain then there was no potential to waste.

I don't think so, no. Snoke was a red herring for Kylo Ren, and his story, the story that matters, is being told here in this current saga. This is his rise to power.

Knowing that, the question might come about of, why spend three films building up this kid to elite villain status when things are just ending at IX? Well, I don't think it is ending. I don't think we'll get a defeated First Order or Ren in IX. Quite the opposite, I think IX will be the culmination of Ren into the galaxy's current ultimate scourge, and the movie will end with him alive and well. The way the heroes win will be by splitting the difference. They will have rebuilt after the heavy losses of VIII and The Resistence/First Order will be equal power houses splitting the galaxy.

At least that's what I think.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 04-11-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Funny thing is, although Leia blames Snoke for Ben's turn in TFA, I don't think Luke mentions Snoke at all in TLJ.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Funny thing is, although Leia blames Snoke for Ben's turn in TFA, I don't think Luke mentions Snoke at all in TLJ.
    It wouldn't have added new information.

And The Last Jedi doesn't contradict how Ben got turned. Sure, Luke pushed him over the edge, but Luke said thathe it was already too late, that he had already been turned before then.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think so, no. Snoke was a red herring for Kylo Ren, and his story, the story that matters, is being told here in this current saga. This is his rise to power.

Knowing that, the question might come about of, why spend three films building up this kid to elite villain status when things are just ending at IX? Well, I don't think it is ending. I don't think we'll get a defeated First Order or Ren in IX. Quite the opposite, I think IX will be the culmination of Ren into the galaxy's current ultimate scourge, and the movie will end with him alive and well. The way the heroes win will be by splitting the difference. They will have rebuilt after the heavy losses of VIII and The Resistence/First Order will be equal power houses splitting the galaxy.

At least that's what I think.
    Agreed. There’s no way they get rid of Adam Driver.

I find it interesting that other people think IX won't end with Kylo getting killed, but survive.

I wonder if they'll kill Rey?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Nah, I think Rey will be fine as well. Bear in mind that while I think Kylo survives the trilogy, that doesn't mean I think the trilogy ends on a sad note. I think it will be a victory for the Resistance, just not a definitive end of the war the likes of VI. It'll be left open that this conflict is ongoing, with the major win being that the Resistance/Republic is back on their feet in a big way to match the First Order.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

I think the only way episode IX doesn't end with Kylo pushing up daisies is if it's not actually a trilogy but a quadrology (or there's an entire sequel trilogy of episodes X-XII).

Considering the model Disney is going with, I think the chances of a little more open-ended way of looking at ending things is quite plausible. But at the same time I'm not in the production room, these are just my personal feelings. Just as many convincing arguments out their to dispute the idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    it's not actually a trilogy but a quadrology (or there's an entire sequel trilogy of episodes X-XII).
    That's a pretty awful idea. I mean, you can make those movies, (X-XII) but this was billed as a trilogy, and it needs to end as a trilogy.

Star Wars is trilogies. They already have two other trilogy series in the works, so I don't see them extending this to 4. They might do a follow up trilogy, but IX needs to be an ending.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    That's a pretty awful idea. I mean, you can make those movies, (X-XII) but this was billed as a trilogy, and it needs to end as a trilogy.

Star Wars is trilogies. They already have two other trilogy series in the works, so I don't see them extending this to 4. They might do a follow up trilogy, but IX needs to be an ending.
    Yeah, I don't think that is realistic at all, but I don't see another way for Kylo Ren to not die.

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

Seems like more of a thing for the tie in books.