Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trapping Juggernaut in Cement: Should it even work?

Okay, we all know about that Issue where spiderman beats Juggernaut by trapping him in Concrete and he remains there for months. It never really stuck to my kind, but I just saw Deadpool use a similar tactic against juggernaut and it started to bug me.

Should a tactic like that work? I mean, juggernaut is someone who should be able to easily flex his muscles and shatter the concrete he's trapped in. This is someone who shakes mountains with his punches, should he be so easily contained in something like concrete.

His fellow 100 tonner, Thor has easily freed himself from bindings of secondary adamantium by flexing his muscles. Wouldn't a tactic like that easily work for Juggernaut?

Yes.

It's what's called a low showing.

Edit I mean no it wouldn't work.
    Last edited by Ptrvc; 04-11-2018 at 02:03 PM.

Mighty Member

The issue though is that it was WET concrete. How long did it take to dry and harden? Until it did I can see someone having a hard time doing anything even as a Class 100 guy.

I know in the movies, Juggernaut needs to be able to generate momentum for his powers to work. Is that true in the comics?
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I know in the movies, Juggernaut needs to be able to generate momentum for his powers to work. Is that true in the comics?
    Nope, so much so he's threatening by just walking, think of Rhino on steroids.

Anyways, as said above, it was wet concrete, and Spidey specificaly says he's like a man in quicksand:

I'm not really sure if that should really work though, even if he keeps sinking, couldn't he just move his arms and legs and swin out of it? Unless he's that stupid, which he probably is considering that he reached the bottom and didn't just jump out, and instead decided to walk for miles to open a way lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Nope, so much so he's threatening by just walking, think of Rhino on steroids.

Anyways, as said above, it was wet concrete, and Spidey specificaly says he's like a man in quicksand:

I'm not really sure if that should really work though, even if he keeps sinking, couldn't he just move his arms and legs and swin out of it? Unless he's that stupid, which he probably is considering that he reached the bottom and didn't just jump out, and instead decided to walk for miles to open a way lol.
    But what good would dogging down have done? The wet cement would just have flowed down around him. So all he's done is sink deeper.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I think he could break out. I could see it at least taking a bit more time and slow him down.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I think he could break out. I could see it at least taking a bit more time and slow him down.
    Which is what Spidey said. This was just to give folks like SHIELD time to figure some way to hold him.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    But what good would dogging down have done? The wet cement would just have flowed down around him. So all he's done is sink deeper.
    I was just thinking that with his strength he could be able to move in the cement like water, since it's watery enough for him to be sinking like that, but hey, I might be saying bullshit, I'm not a cement expert lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I was just thinking that with his strength he could be able to move in the cement like water, since it's watery enough for him to be sinking like that, but hey, I might be saying bullshit, I'm not a cement expert lol.
    I understand what you're saying. But the rule is - muscle doesn't float. That's why swimmers look different to weight lifters. Marko's strength doesn't make him more buoyant.

He should have been able to thunderclap the cement away, or walk along the bottom, or any number of things. But Spider-Man is an A-lister, and Juggs is not, so...

I understand what you're saying. But the rule is - muscle doesn't float. That's why swimmers look different to weight lifters. Marko's strength doesn't make him more buoyant.
    But couldn't he use his super strength to proper himself upwards? That's what I mean when I mention it.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    He should have been able to thunderclap the cement away, or walk along the bottom, or any number of things. But Spider-Man is an A-lister, and Juggs is not, so...
    Well, he did walk along the bottom, for weeks or months actualy lol, thunderclapping would only make him sink faster too.

Though it was weird for him to choose to do that, when he debutted he was in a similar situation, but with a much smaller hole, all he did was reach a wall, make holes on them and climb up, sure one can say that he avoided doing that to not fight whatever super team may have arrived, but Juggernaut doesn't seem like someone who'd be afraid of that, I also wonder why he didn't just jump in both situations lol.

Extraordinary Member

Wet concrete has a density of about two and half times that of water. And as a standard rule, moving in water is about 8 times as difficult as moving through air [both of which are fluids]. Using that math moving through the concrete is about 20 times as difficult as moving through air.

So, if Juggernaut were trying to jump off the bottom, to get to the surface from 40 feet down would be like him trying to jump 800 feet straight up. The Hulk could do it easily, but I've never seen Juggernaut do something like that.

As for the thunderclap - yeah, it might work. But his hands would be coming together with 20 times less force, which means one twentieth or 5% of his usual effect. I know Marko is strong but even he is going to see diminished returns in that scenario. A forty foot cube of cement would have a mass of about 6,600 American tones. The force required to displace that with a thunderclap of his hands is, I think, beyond him.
    Last edited by brettc1; 04-13-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Unless he's that stupid,
    Pretty much this. Juggernaut is not a smart person.

Wet concrete has a density of about two and half times that of water. And as a standard rule, moving in water is about 8 times as difficult as moving through air [both of which are fluids]. Using that math moving through the concrete is about 20 times as difficult as moving through air.

So, if Juggernaut were trying to jump off the bottom, to get to the surface from 40 feet down would be like him trying to jump 800 feet straight up. The Hulk could do it easily, but I've never seen Juggernaut do something like that.

As for the thunderclap - yeah, it might work. But his hands would be coming together with 20 times less force, which means one twentieth or 5% of his usual effect. I know Marko is strong but even he is going to see diminished returns in that scenario. A forty foot cube of cement would have a mass of about 6,600 American tones. The force required to displace that with a thunderclap of his hands is, I think, beyond him.
    Honestly I would view Juggernaut as a better jumper than Hulk, because of his power. His base level strength is said to be greater than calm hulk who can jump miles, Juggernaut can jump just as far, and has his momentum powers to increase it.

Juggernaut also weights over 900 lbs, he should be able to easily sink to the bottom and walk out. Jumping out should be no issue.