Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    . . . Then I went to my local Barnes and Noble and picked up the first book in three cozy series.

Assaulted Caramel (The Amish Candy Shop Mysteries by Amanda Flower
    Murder By The Book (The Beyond The Page Bookstore Mysteries by Lauren Elliott)
    My Mom owns/read Murder By the Book and also read the second one in that series, Prologue to Murder. Today I ordered the third book for her, Murder In the First Edition. I also have been getting her books from Lorna Barrett's Booktown Mystery series.

Extraordinary Member

…Does writing a book count?

I wrote a Robin Hood book in the style of a crime noir from one of his badguy’s perspectives, and self-published it on Amazon. Like, I’ve got noir-like twists, a femme fatale love interest, and even some mild mysteries.C417BAC6-A7C5-45CF-834A-D896D8F8F67D.jpg
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    My Mom owns/read Murder By the Book and also read the second one in that series, Prologue to Murder. Today I ordered the third book for her, Murder In the First Edition. I also have been getting her books from Lorna Barrett's Booktown Mystery series.
    I've read all the Booktown mysteries. They are great.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

I haven't had to actually BUY my last four books.

I got two books sent to me from the magazine to review.

I got another book sent to me by the author because she loved my review of her first book.

And the fourth one is being sent to me by another author.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Got delivery today of:
    Boomerang Dice: The Complete BLACK MASK Cases of Johnny Hi Gear by Stewart Stirling
    (published by Steeger Books)

I was able to buy a trade paperback edition of the Vicki Delany mystery novel Tea & Treachery a few days before it's June 29th release.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I was able to buy a trade paperback edition of the Vicki Delany mystery novel Tea & Treachery a few days before it's June 29th release.
    I was able to take out the hardcover version for my Mom after I found it at an area library.
    I believe the second book, Murder in a Teacup, is suppose to be released in hardcover late next month.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I was able to take out the hardcover version for my Mom after I found it at an area library.
    I believe the second book, Murder in a Teacup, is suppose to be released in hardcover late next month.
    Yeah, I think that's correct. It's on my list but I have to read this one first.

Got delivery today of

The Mike Hammer Collection Vol. 2

I picked up the new Archer Mayor novel Marked Man tonight.

AAAA1st32.jpg

Currently reading The Case of the Terrified Typist by Erle Stanley Gardner <A Perry Mason Mystery> and just put in an order tonight for The Case of the Gilded Lily.

I already own / read The Case of the Dubious Bridegroom; The Case of the Lonely Heiress ; The Case of the Lazy Lover; and The Case of the Green-Eyed Sister, so that means I'll have all six of the Perry Mason books that Mysterious Press recently (last year) issued in conjunction with the HBO Perry Mason series from last year.

Crime (albeit true crime even more than fictional) was my dads favourite reading, so I read quite a few crime books towards end of his life, as I got books for him, and figured I might as well read some of them myself. Not read that much crime since, though it’s a genre I do like.

Just glancing through this thread..first impressions: not surprised how often Ed McBain gets mentioned, probably the best writer of American short, fast, punchy American procedurals I came across.

But fairly surprised at total absence of English crime writers (apart from Conan Doyle)…maybe it’s a cultural thing but for me they do typically feel different to most American crime, but equally enjoyable.

Ones that I think are really good include Peter Lovesey, Reginald Hill, Colin Dexter, Peter James, and Dick Francis (though maybe Dick might “count” more as a thriller writer?).

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    . . . fairly surprised at total absence of English crime writers (apart from Conan Doyle)…maybe it’s a cultural thing but for me they do typically feel different to most American crime, but equally enjoyable.
    I've read some English crime/mystery books in the past (both those written by English authors and books set in England / Great Britain though I don't know if the authors were themselves British or not), but my preference these days has been for books written by American writers and set in the 20th century but prior to the age of the modern / personal computer and cell phones.

Then again, I still miss when pay phones could easily be found here in the U.S.
    Can't recall when I last saw a working one.

Currently reading
    The Complete Cases of Mike Blair
    (The Dime Detective Library)
    by Hank Searls

and received delivery today of
    The Complete Cases of The Blue Barrel, Volume 1
    (The Dime Detective Library)
    by William E. Barrett

Barnes & Noble has an (online only) offer of 25% off on pre-ordered books that ends today.

So, for myself I went and ordered:

Headed for a Hearse by Jonathan Latimer
    (originally published in 1935 / reissue from Penzler Publishers due out February 22nd)

and

The Case of the Shoplifter’s Shoe (A Perry Mason Mystery) by Erle Stanley Gardner
    (originally published in 1938 / reissue from Penzler Publishers due out April 5th)

For my Mom I pre-ordered The Crime that Binds by Laurie Cass, the next book in the Bookmobile Cat Mystery series, but that isn't due out until October 4th.