Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I would say I have read most of the Rex Stout stories.
    I love the A&E tv series from the early 2000's. Sadly lasted only 2 seasons.

I still seem to remember the even shorter-lived 1981 series that starred William Conrad as Wolfe (with Lee Horsley as Archie Goodwin).

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I still seem to remember the even shorter-lived 1981 series that starred William Conrad as Wolfe (with Lee Horsley as Archie Goodwin).
    I remember that one myself, though the later show was superior, IMO.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Just pre-ordered the new Rory Clements book, the third Tom Wilde book. Really looking forward to it
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

Went to a new/used bookstore today and bought some paperbacks:

The Adventures of Ellery Queen
    (orig. published 1934; 1971 Signet / New American Library)

In the Best Families by Rex Stout <Nero Wolfe>
    (orig. published 1950; 1995 Bantam "Crime Line")

Three at Wolfe's Door by Rex Stout <Nero Wolfe>
    (orig. published 1960; 1995 Bantam "Crime Line")

Just ordered

The French Powder Mystery by "Ellery Queen"
    (Frederic Dannay and Manfred B. Lee)

First published back in 1930 / this version was published in 2015.

Received delivery today of:

A Right to Die by Rex Stout <"A Nero Wolfe Mystery">
    (orig. published 1964; 1994 Bantam "Crime Line")

and, for something completely different:

Murder Past Due by Miranda James
    <A Cat in the Stacks Mystery>
    As a cozy and cat lover, I'm a big fan of The Cat in the Stacks series. I also wish I could find more of the Simon-Kirby-Jones stories (about a gay vampire) by the same author under his real name (I think), Dean James.
    For dog lovers, Spencer Quinn writes the Chet and Bernie mysteries, narrated by Chet, a police-dog-training-school flunkout.

Other favorites: Donna Andrews' Meg Langslow stories; Nancy Atherton's Aunt Dimity tales; and several series by Susan Wittig Albert.

-
    Last edited by Anodyne; 01-19-2019 at 11:40 AM. Reason: My computer froze mid-post
    Beverly Allen, the Bee--with honey and stinger.

"If humans have souls, then clones will have them, too."--Arthur Caplan

Quote Originally Posted by Anodyne View Post
    As a cozy and cat lover, I'm a big fan of The Cat in the Stacks series.
    My Mom is currently reading the "Black Cat Bookshop Mystery Series" by Ali Brandon.

I think she's up to the fifth one now:

When she's done with the 6th (and last) one, I'm going to try and start her on the "Bookmobile Cat Mystery Series" by Laurie Cass (as long as the library can find a copy of it).

As to that other part of your post,
    As a cozy and cat lover, I'm a big fan of The Cat in the Stacks series. I also wish I could find more of the Simon-Kirby-Jones stories by the same author under his real name (I think), Dean James.
    You appear to be correct.
    Miranda James is the pseudonym of Dean James, a seventh-generation Mississippian recently returned home after over thirty years in Texas. A mystery fan since the age of ten, he wrote his first novel at the ripe old age of twelve. The only copy of The Mystery of the Willow Key vanished years ago, but since it was highly derivative of the Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden mystery series, that’s probably a good thing . . .
    http://catinthestacks.com/bio.html

The article also mentions he has written under other names as well.
    . . . His first novel, Cruel as the Grave (Silver Dagger Mysteries) was published in 2000. Since then he has published eighteen more novels, writing under his own name and the pseudonyms Jimmie Ruth Evans and Honor Hartman . . .

I went to a book signing tonight for author Joanna Schaffhausen and picked up her two thrillers The Vanishing Season and No Mercy.

AAAABook8.jpg
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

As a cozy and cat lover, I'm a big fan of The Cat in the Stacks series.
    I've seen that an eleventh one in that series is suppose to be out in July of this year: The Pawful Truth.

I've taken a slight break in reading books recently (focusing instead in getting caught up on some long-running comic book series I had not bought when originally released), but I've been borrowing plenty of Cozy Mystery series from area libraries for my Mom.

Among her most recent reads,

* the "Ashton Corners Book Club" series by Ericka Chase

* the "Blue Ridge Library Mystery" series by Victoria Gilbert

* and she's currently working her way through the "Maine Clambake Mystery" series by Barbara Ross

She's now reading Fogged Inn, the 4th book in the series.

* and she's currently working her way through the "Maine Clambake Mystery" series by Barbara Ross

She's now reading Fogged Inn, the 4th book in the series.
    I've got, but haven't yet read, the first two books in this series. I met the author at a signing and they are both signed.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    . . . and she's currently working her way through the "Maine Clambake Mystery" series by Barbara Ross
    I've got, but haven't yet read, the first two books in this series. I met the author at a signing and they are both signed.
    The curious thing about this series is that, according to goodreads.com, there are two short stories (novellas?) for the "Maine Clambake Mystery" series are in books written by Leslie Meier as part of Meier's "Lucy Stone" mystery series.

Lee Hollis' "The Hayley Powell Food and Cocktails Mystery Series" is also represented in those books.
    (So those two series may be next in what I'm looking for my Mom, depending on what she thinks of the short stories.)

Those short story things are part and parcel of the mystery world it would seem.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Those short story things are part and parcel of the mystery world it would seem.
    I've been getting various mystery series from the libraries for my Mom for about a year now, and this was the first time I've been aware of them like this. (I have found some that are short stories all by the same author in a book, but this is the first time I've found more than one story credited to different author names in a book where the book is listed under a specific author and not the name of an editor who collected those stories.)