Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Bring back the Handbook

I would love a updated Handbook of the MU .With the fresh start and the back to basics in the mu now would be a good time for it. What do you think

I'd be for it. I have all of the 80s handbooks.

I am a huge fan of the handbooks from the 80's. Later versions IMO were never quite as cool, though I'm a sucker for a good handbook and bought them anyways.

Updated Handbooks for me too!

But I want more like the originals where they describe in detail about powers, how high, how fast, etc.

The newer power grids were ok, but everyone seems to mostly be at the same level. The original handbooks gave more exact numbers so you could tell who was stronger than whom, etc.

Those with mental powers also need better and clearer entries with more details as to what they can do. This is another group that can seem like one character is identical to another.

I agree. Would love to see an updated handbook.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Me too!

But I want more like the originals where they describe in detail about powers, how high, how fast, etc.

The newer power grids were ok, but everyone seems to mostly be at the same level. The original handbooks gave more exact numbers so you could tell who was stronger than whom, etc.

Those with mental powers also need better and clearer entries with more details as to what they can do. This is another group that can seem like one character is identical to another.
    Yeah, the power grids are just stupid. Instead of giving a guy a 4 in strength or whatever, just say he can lift 50 tons or whatever the number is. Or if they do a grid, give an in-depth written explanation along with it. Relying solely on the grids almost seem lazy to me.

I loved the Alien Races parts in those handbooks.
    It showed how rich the MU was.

I second (or third, or fourth, or fifth) this.

The way they've done the handbooks in recent years have been nothing short of confusing, with thorough investigating needed just to figure out who appears in which.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

Much of this information can be found on Marvel Wiki, which makes it hard to justify selling something like the handbook these days.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

This should be a no brainier. I don't think I've ever encountered anyone who didn't appreciate the handbooks. I've got every one of them, even the Conan handbook.

Bring them back, Marvel, including the Book of the Dead and the Weapons and Paraphernalia books.
    Read my free superhero webcomic, The Ill!

http://theill.thecomicseries.com/comics/540/

Can't see why I'd want to buy something that I can find online and will be out of date in a couple years.

I've seen some of the handbooks or stuff like them (the Messiah War trade included one for the relevant characters) and honestly I don't think they were anything great in the first place. 99 - 100% of the material is just regurgitated from the original source material. Great handbooks would be something like the Star Wars reference books, which actually add stuff. New illustrations, new information, stuff that goes deeper into the world rather than just repeating something already known. If Marvel was to produce reference materials like that, that could be something great, but I honestly don't see how the old style of Handbooks are worth emulating, much less having a place anymore.

(Mileage will always vary. After all, I suppose someone could levy the same charges I made against the Handbooks against the Star Trek encyclopedias and chronologies I love.)
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    Much of this information can be found on Marvel Wiki, which makes it hard to justify selling something like the handbook these days.
    Good point. However, wikias are fan edited.

I recall people saying the quality in Handbooks declined with the Master Edition in the 90's. Anyone know why that is?

Based on the Handbook stuff I read from the 80's, it went into great detail about the character in question. Seems odd that it wouldn't be just as good with the Master Edition.

I’ve browsed them a few times..of course..but never been remotely tempted to buy one.

But a large part of me wishes the “stats” on powers were published in a definitive source (either handbook or internet database) and were taken more “seriously”.

By “seriously” I mean if character A’s stats are much higher than character B, that if the two fight A wins unless there is a really obvious reason for B winning.

Don’t have B winning because he/she is “plucky”...that counts for a lot if powers are in same range, it means naff all if A is ten times faster and stronger. And don’t have B produce a new power in middle of fight...that got tiresome about 50 years ago.

The trouble is marvel has so many heroes now they would have to keep them one page only unlike the early handbooks. With that said dreamwave transformers profile book took over 300 transformers and fit them into 8 64 page issues just fine. They had one or two pages only for each transformer but told in one page their stats, history, and weakness/ flaws. The neat thing about it was some of the profiles were hosted by other transformers telling what they thought of them. Optimus prime, kup, ultra magnus, megatron, shockwave and starscream hosted some of the profiles and even hinted at future stories in them. It made the profiles feel like part of the story plus the whole series was bookended with a comic page that tied into the profiles!