Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I am by no means a big Legion fan, but wouldn't a Rebirth-style approach to continuity benefit this particular franchise quite a bit. Have the ripple effects Dr. Manhattan's time shenanigans merge all the various Legions into one that combines all the best elements while ignoring all the past mistakes.

None of the various versions of the LSH are without serious problems, but perhaps the strengths of them all can be wrapped up into one version with the broad strokes of the Legion's history and roster, but with all the new characters and improvements rolled in.
    I think that would be an excellent idea. It seems to me that Legion of Three Worlds already tried to do this, but I don't know if it actually accomplished its goal very well. And the lackluster follow up series didn't help a ton either.

But even if a Legion Rebirth got the continuity smoothed out, I still think they need to adjust their approach to the whole thing. "Space teens in the future" is a great concept, but very often it just ends up feeling like another space-based superhero title and the real interesting stuff that could be explored ends up ignored or just used as background.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

use the retrobooth with all the members from the differents timeline just line in the infinitus saga in the justice league united title,

From there use different location to put part of the team ...

weber world
    Takron-galtos
    Legion world

ect ect

then do a arc with the team of takron- then another arc on legion world ect.

Every fan of every timeline will have what they want everybody is happy
    Last edited by joebleau; 05-03-2018 at 02:49 PM.

Extraordinary Member

I posted this in the wrong thread so I'm re-posting it here (where I meant to originally)

I wish they would go back to the Levitz/Giffen era but tweak a few things. And I realize I'm in the minority on this, but as much as I loved Levitz's run, I would change a few things:

1) Colossal Boy would've never married Yera. No matter how naïve (dumb) she was, she deceived the Legion by impersonating a member for months. Gim should've been furious with her and she should've served some kind of legal punishment for her actions.

2) Karate Kid would've never died. Have him defeat Nemesis Kid without killing him. However, Projectra does kill him as before because of what he's done to home planet. She then takes Orando out of the universe because of what happened to her people, leaving Val behind. She could still come back as Sensor Girl later, but after her identity is revealed, Val would have serious issues taking her back.

3) Saturn Girl and Lightning Lad never had the twins. I know this was a key issue of Darkseid's (lame) curse, but the twins tied them down. If any legionnaire would've had children, it should've been retired Duo Damsel and Bouncing Boy. This would make more sense IMO.

4) Finally, the three original members would've never resigned. No offense to Lightning Lass, Magnetic Lad, or Tellus but they were poor replacements for the irreplaceable original three. LLd, Cos, and Saturn Girl should ALWAYS be members of the LSH.

Last edited by caj; 04-30-2018 at 01:35 PM.

I would like them to start at the very beginning and slowly build the team back to the mammoth size it was before. Give me a futuristic take on a society 1000 years in the future, it is 1000 right? I forget, and not just "fancier clothes and flying cars, but everything seems 2018 (Or whatever year.) You need a sci-fi writer to really go deep into this.

They should always take their influences from a Superboy (Though I prefer it be Clark, I don't know if I care anymore.) Or maybe I would update this and make it the original 3 take some influences from Diana, Clark and Bruce. Not by names and powers. But I think it would be an interesting parallel to explore with Diana, Bruce Clark and Imra, Garth and Rokk. How does the original Trinity's legacies influence the new Trinity's?

Give us new and interesting takes on their powers, and their society. Teen Clark and Kara would be fun for an adventure or two, even having Diana and Bruce show up. But it should be such a rare occurrence and not easy to happen.

Mon-El should be Clark's direct heir, I like the story of Clark's Big Brother and wouldn't want that changed.. They don't need Superboy for any extended length of time in the future.
    Last edited by richalex; 04-30-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    Richard Alexander

Quote Originally Posted by richalex View Post
    I would like them to start at the very beginning and slowly build the team back to the mammoth size it was before. Give me a futuristic take on a society 1000 years in the future, it is 1000 right? I forget, and not just "fancier clothes and flying cars, but everything seems 2018 (Or whatever year.) You need a sci-fi writer to really go deep into this.

They should always take their influences from a Superboy (Though I prefer it be Clark, I don't know if I care anymore.) Or maybe I would update this and make it the original 3 take some influences from Diana, Clark and Bruce. Not by names and powers. But I think it would be an interesting parallel to explore with Diana, Bruce Clark and Imra, Garth and Rokk. How does the original Trinity's legacies influence the new Trinity's?

Give us new and interesting takes on their powers, and their society. Teen Clark and Kara would be fun for an adventure or two, even having Diana and Bruce show up. But it should be such a rare occurrence and not easy to happen.

Mon-El should be Clark's direct heir, I like the story of Clark's Big Brother and wouldn't want that changed.. They don't need Superboy for any extended length of time in the future.
    One of the reasons I was disappointed Hickman didn't work out for the LSH was the graphic design he could have brought to the book. He could have made the book look more like a book of the future. with more than just signs in Interlac.

A sci-fi writer would be an incredible asset. A look at different worlds with different life forms and different attitudes is what would make this book. It seems silly to just deal with powers and fights with villains when there's so much more to be covered. Like Star Trek, but even more so. there's no special effects budget in comic books.

I agree that the book needs a writer versed in sci-fi.

It should feel like a Star Trek/Star Wars/Battlestar Galactica/Robotech comic but with a cast of characters with powers.
    It shouldn't fell like a Justice League/Teen Titans/Avengers comic that's just set in a detached future.

What I'd like to see is a 'Fresh Start' (sorry Marvel), with the team coming back together after something causes them to disband.
    Bring back the fan-favorite characters first (which may or may not be the Trinity), a few new members, some new costumes, and have them slowly rebuild the team.
    Over the course of this, they could re-introduce concepts like Interlac, the Science Police and the various worlds so new readers can grasp the world view, while at the same time, introduce new ideas and characters to put a fresh coat of paint on it.

A relaunch of a formerly top-selling title like New Teen Titans, X-Men or Legion doesn't always have to be a reboot. There are ways to keep the continuity intact, give new readers an opportunity to hop on board and move forward without requiring a bachelor's degree in their history.
    While I think accessibility is a good thing to attract new readers, every book reaches that 'impenetrable moment' eventually.
    And some books get stronger by simply lasting a long time and developing a fanbase, such as Walking Dead or Hellboy.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    One of the reasons I was disappointed Hickman didn't work out for the LSH was the graphic design he could have brought to the book. He could have made the book look more like a book of the future. with more than just signs in Interlac.

A sci-fi writer would be an incredible asset. A look at different worlds with different life forms and different attitudes is what would make this book. It seems silly to just deal with powers and fights with villains when there's so much more to be covered. Like Star Trek, but even more so. there's no special effects budget in comic books.
    That's a very cool idea and one that I think would work. My only wish is that the characters' personalities stay the same. Don't re-work the Legionnaires to the point they're unrecognizable. But the world around them would be fascinating if it were more sci-fi.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post

I pray he may still work out when it is all said and done he is perfect for the property. I pray DC doesn't lose the opportunity because of mismanagement.

This pretty much sums up what I'd like to see...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post

This pretty much sums up what I'd like to see...
    That looks amazing. Was this a real book?

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    That looks amazing. Was this a real book?
    No, it was a mock-up I threw together a while back.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    No, it was a mock-up I threw together a while back.
    Incredible work. I was almost drooling looking at it. What a great idea for a Legion story.

Incredible work. I was almost drooling looking at it. What a great idea for a Legion story.
    Thanks.
    It would essentially tie Superman back into the Legion mythos, keep everything from pre-5YL canon, while simultaneously introducing new readers to the world by having Superman investigate who they were, what happened to them and have him act as the catalyst in bringing the team back together.
    And at the same time, DC would release a TPB of Who's Who in the Legion of Superheroes #1-7, that would also collect Adventure Comics #247, Secret Origins #25 and select material from the Mayfair DC RPG's two-volume Legion Sourcebook for those that would want to delve deeper into their history.

Retired

If DC were to release a new monthly LSH comic, how would you like it to be written? Choose as many options as you want or add your own.

A) start the team over from scratch and have it closely resemble the original team's history
    B) start the team over from scratch and re-write it's history. Perhaps with all new characters
    C) include deceased heroes such as Triplicate Girl, Invisible Kid I, Ferro Lad, Chemical King, Karate Kid, etc...
    D) continue where Crisis On Infinite Earths left off
    E) continue where Zero Hour left off
    F) pick up right where Paul Levitz's most current Legion left off
    G) pick up where Superman and The Legion left off
    H) something else
    I) all of the above

I’d like it if there were two Legion titles. But this has been tried before and right now the success of even one book is in doubt.

However, in my dreams, one title would be THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES IN THE 32nd CENTURY. This would be a next generation approach. In the background, past Legion lore would exist with the Levitz Legion being the primary source, but other versions being possible.

Maybe if that book did well, it would generate a second book—either ADVENTURE COMICS or TALES OF THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. This would be an anthology where multiple creative teams could contribute stories regardless of continuity. But some arcs might flesh out the history for the other book.

In one of the early ARCHIVES there was an intro that explained John Forte’s wonky perspective as being the result of our seeing something so futuristic we can’t understand it—and so Forte’s art conveys that lack of comprehension.

This is my take on why continuity doesn’t make sense for us—with our linear thinking—but this multiple choice reality is the way of things in the future.

In short, everyone consumes their own version of space-time in the future. In broad strokes, different planets select their own continuity. And on some planets, like Earth, several versions compete for popular consumption.

This is the primary commodity in the 30th - 32nd centuries and the real source of wealth for R.J. Brande and Leland McCauley III. Creating stargates and suns is just to facilitate that continuity manufacturing end which demands so much reality bending power.

A while ago on the thread I mentioned that I'd want to see some carry-over from the present in a Legion book. Perhaps Diana is still alive and ruling Themyscria, maybe there's still a Bat person swinging around Neo-Gotham, or the book uses a teenaged Clark Kent having his adventures in the future, whatever.

But the Terrifics has also made me realize that the Legion needs some roots in the past, too. The new Phantom Girl, who's supposed to be a ancestor to the Legion member, isn't a bad idea. Of course those characters would have family members in the 21st century who could be worked in. I'm not a big fan of the "Legion team stuck in the past" thing, but maybe if one or two of them ended up in the present day permanently it wouldn't be the worst thing ever.

Just more connective tissue to tie the Legion to the rest of the DCU, you know?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.