Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Preview: Amazing Spider-Man#798

https://www.cbr.com/amazing-spider-man-798-preview/

MJ's not on the recap page profiles, so she might not appear this issue

Love how Peter has to play errand boy for Spidey when Norman pops up

Jameson trying to untie himself reminds me of the time Chameleon kidnapped him.

I'm hoping JJ will not meet his demise... Him knowing about Pete has been such an interesting development!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Bat View Post
    I'm hoping JJ will not meet his demise... Him knowing about Pete has been such an interesting development!
    Doubtful. Chances are if Anti Venom doesn't save the day in the end, I see Triple J helping Peter in the end and making the ultimate win. I see Jonah making the save the same way osborn made the save at the end of Secret invasion.

That's what I'm hoping for!

Quote Originally Posted by xpyred View Post
    Doubtful. Chances are if Anti Venom doesn't save the day in the end, I see Triple J helping Peter in the end and making the ultimate win. I see Jonah making the save the same way osborn made the save at the end of Secret invasion.
    Wouldn't that be karma. Hoisted by his own petard!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So once again Peter has an entire staff of people helping him out. I'm sensing a theme here .

I still don't really get why Norman couldn't have just put on a Goblin costume and Glider and come after Spider-Man again even if he was supposedly "cured" of the Goblin serum. I don't think Slott did a good job of differentating between Hush!Norman and Goblin Serum Norman to where there would be that dramatic a difference before he had the Carnage Symbiote take care of the nanites.

It's kind of neat to see Jonah getting his own "lifting of the weights" moment .

So who's going to bail Spidey out this issue? Will it be:

A. Robbie Robertson

B. Phil Urich

C. Agent Anti-Venom

D. J. Jonah Jameson

E. A random New York civilian

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    So once again Peter has an entire staff of people helping him out. I'm sensing a theme here .
    Yeah that was weird, seems like Slott still wants to keep this theme even though it ain't fitting this time around. Then again Slott made Peter into an editor who keeps going on the field...

I still don't really get why Norman couldn't have just put on a Goblin costume and Glider and come after Spider-Man again even if he was supposedly "cured" of the Goblin serum. I don't think Slott did a good job of differentating between Hush!Norman and Goblin Serum Norman to where there would be that dramatic a difference before he had the Carnage Symbiote take care of the nanites.
    Well, in that story arc which Spidey invades another country to go after Norman, he did try to weaken Spidey more to just be able to kill him, instead of playing around like he tends to, could've done better, but it was alright.

And I assume that Norman wants to have the Goblin power to be able to fight Spidey, that and the crazyness of course, since he really missed that.

So who's going to bail Spidey out this issue? Will it be:

A. Robbie Robertson

B. Phil Urich

C. Agent Anti-Venom

D. J. Jonah Jameson

E. A random New York civilian
    Anti Venom most likely, and random New York civilians will mention how awesome he is while he does it

BANNED

spoilers:
    Well...Norman turned out to be the Red Goblin after all.

Jameson is found and retrieved by Flash.

Normie and Stanley's nanny tranquilizes Harry, Mark and Liz and abducts the children, while Red Goblin offers Peter a "devil's bargain"...quit being Spider-Man or he will pick off all of Peter's loved ones. Peter takes off his costume and uses it as a "white flag" to comply with Osborn's wishes, but Peter then tells himself that it's only Spider-Man that's going away...he's going to take Osborn down as Peter Parker
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-04-2018 at 08:29 AM.

The Detective Man The Dying Detective's Avatar

Seems like Dan Slott decided to ramp things up to end his run this time.
    "Excellent!" I cried. "Elementary," said he

spoilers:
    #798 was pretty good.

After those preview pages, Norman shows the that he brought the head of the tritium statue with a detonator. Flash uses an Alchemax scanner to find the tritium, ends up finding Phil's body and JJ, then Flash calls Liz and tells her Norman is back, the babysitter shoots Harry, Liz and Mark with tranquilizer darts and takes the children away. Back to the fight between Spidey and Norman, the other characters are leaving that floor (For some reason it took them all almost 10 minutes to leave one floor), the bomb is about to go off, Spidey puts a bunch of webbing on it and himself, it explodes that floor, Norman has been impaled by the explosion but then reveals he has the Carnage symbiote, Spidey knowing he has no change to defeat him, tries to run away, to get fire or sonics then find him later with a tracer he left on Norman (Which he should know that Norman would find it because of the Carnage symbiote), Norman can somehow make Carnage Bombs which can track and bite (Lol), one which explodes in Spidey and he falls in some building. Norman then makes a "Devil's bargain", for Peter to stop being Spider-Man, threatening to kill everyone even remotely close to Peter if he sees Spider-Man again, Spidey complies, hangs his shirt and burns it, but Peter says in the narration boxes that Peter Parker will be the one to take down Norman.

I chuckled at the pun Norman made about being "Green" when he bridged Gwen .

This seems like one of those stories which Slott instead of making Peter be someone who needs to be saved, is instead a badass who can handle ****, at least, that's what the last page is implying that's going to happen, hopefuly he doesn't overdo it and makes the battle look plausible.
    end of spoilers

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    spoilers:
    Well...Norman turned out to be the Red Goblin after all.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Nah man, MJ is just using Norman to test drive the Carnage symbiote + Goblin formula and see how that fares against Spidey
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 04-04-2018 at 08:31 AM.

spoilers:
    What I found interesting, other than the new hint toward OMD, that is the whole "Devil's Bargain" that Norman says, is the ironic coincidence that the comic kind of slightly references Spider-Girl/MC2 by having Peter's right leg by damaged in a battle with Norman Osborn. I doubt it was an intentional nod, nor do I think it'll be as permanent as what happened with MC2's Peter, but it was an interesting if likely unintentional callback nonetheless.
    end of spoilers

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    spoilers:
    #798 was pretty good.

After those preview pages, Norman shows the that he brought the head of the tritium statue with a detonator. Flash uses an Alchemax scanner to find the tritium, ends up finding Phil's body and JJ, then Flash calls Liz and tells her Norman is back, the babysitter shoots Harry, Liz and Mark with tranquilizer darts and takes the children away. Back to the fight between Spidey and Norman, the other characters are leaving that floor (For some reason it took them all almost 10 minutes to leave one floor), the bomb is about to go off, Spidey puts a bunch of webbing on it and himself, it explodes that floor, Norman has been impaled by the explosion but then reveals he has the Carnage symbiote, Spidey knowing he has no change to defeat him, tries to run away, to get fire or sonics then find him later with a tracer he left on Norman (Which he should know that Norman would find it because of the Carnage symbiote), Norman can somehow make Carnage Bombs which can track and bite (Lol), one which explodes in Spidey and he falls in some building. Norman then makes a "Devil's bargain", for Peter to stop being Spider-Man, threatening to kill everyone even remotely close to Peter if he sees Spider-Man again, Spidey complies, hangs his shirt and burns it, but Peter says in the narration boxes that Peter Parker will be the one to take down Norman.

I chuckled at the pun Norman made about being "Green" when he bridged Gwen .

This seems like one of those stories which Slott instead of making Peter be someone who needs to be saved, is instead a badass who can handle ****, at least, that's what the last page is implying that's going to happen, hopefuly he doesn't overdo it and makes the battle look plausible.
    end of spoilers

Edit:

spoilers:
    Nah man, MJ is just using Norman to test drive the Carnage symbiote + Goblin formula and see how that fares against Spidey
    end of spoilers
    As for Peter not needing to be saved, we still have to read the next three issues.

spoilers:
    Oh No, Peter can't be Spidey, whatever shall he do...

end of spoilers

Me IRL

Quote Originally Posted by rward777 View Post
    As for Peter not needing to be saved, we still have to read the next three issues.
    I know, I'm just hoping that isn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by leokearon View Post
    spoilers:
    Oh No, Peter can't be Spidey, whatever shall he do...

end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    Hah, yeah. Now that I think of it, it'd be funny if Kaine or Ben just happened to go to NY and Norman thinks either are Peter and start to kill his family and loved ones
    end of spoilers