Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Age of Heroes - Same as the Old One

Of all the titles thus far of the so-called “New Age of Heroes” I only read the first issue of Terrifics.

I doubt I’ll buy any more, though.

I find OMAC to be a more fun Hulk-style book than Damage will ever be.

Silencer. Not sure what to make of the concept.

Challengers might have potential. We’ll see.

Brimstone. Just another Hellspawned anti-hero.

Can’t say I care much for any of the others.

If this is supposed to be the New Age of Heroes, they ought to do better.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

I love the Terrifics & I just read the Immortal Men which was great I just hope that Jim Lee has finished the next five issues with hopes issue 6 comes out by Christmas. From what I have seen with the New Age I like and think it has great potential but I just wish DC would have made a better effort with the 52's Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE & Stormwatch (Love to have the original concept) making them an United Nations sanctioned Superhero team.
    Last edited by Captain Britain of Earth 20; 04-12-2018 at 03:34 PM.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I'm actually interested in The Unexpected because it seems like it will be more 'Defenders' than anything Marvel's done in, like, forever.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I wouldn't call Brimstone an antihero yet. We know next to nothing about how it'll be approached in future issues, expect that it is supposed to be an horror-themed series, so I don't think that concepts of hero and antihero truly apply here.

The Silencer is quite fun to read, but also interesting, in how it expands Leviathan's scope, and develop Honor Guest (the main character) normal life, and why it is so important to her. In that sense, this series is a sort of "anti-Punisher" in that Honor kills to keep her family, not in revenge for its loss.

I haven't read OMAC (I probably really should) but I must say that i'm kind of tired by Brother Eye at that point (I mean, how many times as he been used in the last few years now ? Future End, Batmen Eternal, Injustice, Future Tim, I'm probably forgetting some...) and so far Damage did a good job depicting the power of a Hulk-like character with an interesting twist on the man and monster Relationship.

Spectacular Member

Waiting for all the series to have 1st issues out before I sample and decide which ones I pull or trade wait, only have space to pull 1 though since I'm trying to decrease my pull list to a target number by June. Out of all of them, the only one I'm not interested in is Damage. Silencer too at first but heard good things and I like the idea of her being a suburban mom.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Making a choice is kind of hard but New Challengers is a six issues mini, and so far, I really think that The Silencer needs all the help it can get, especially considering that Romita is leaving and Viktor Bogdanovic is coming over, and his art is really awesome (if really different). For instance, my avatar is The Silencer by Bogdanovic in black and white, if someone want a sample of what's to come.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Making a choice is kind of hard but New Challengers is a six issues mini, and so far, I really think that The Silencer needs all the help it can get, especially considering that Romita is leaving and Viktor Bogdanovic is coming over, and his art is really awesome (if really different). For instance, my avatar is The Silencer by Bogdanovic in black and white, if someone want a sample of what's to come.
    Yeah New Challengers being a mini is definitely a plus for me.

Looked up Viktor Bogdanovic, I'm digging it. Not into Romita's style personally.

I love Lemire from his Green Arrow/Moon Knight/Descender/Royal City/Black Hammer. Seems like out of all the books, The Terrifics is probably in the least danger if I decide to trade wait it though.
    Floppies as of November: Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman, Catwoman, The Green Lantern, Black Panther, Dead Man Logan, Domino, Exiles, Iceman, Immortal Hulk
    Digital as of November: Daughters of the Dragon, Iron Fist: Phantom Limb, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage.

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    Yeah New Challengers being a mini is definitely a plus for me.

Looked up Viktor Bogdanovic, I'm digging it. Not into Romita's style personally.

I love Lemire from his Green Arrow/Moon Knight/Descender/Royal City/Black Hammer. Seems like out of all the books, The Terrifics is probably in the least danger if I decide to trade wait it though.

Will you say the same come August?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    Will you say the same come August?
    What’s in August?

Quote Originally Posted by nickytesla96 View Post
    What’s in August?
    The Fantastic Four return.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rod G View Post
    The Fantastic Four return.
    Oh truee. Marketing it so much as a book to fill the void of the FF is probably gonna bite them. Same with marketting the line as artist-driven even though artists are leaving after an arc.

Still think Terrifics would be in a better position than the other Dark Matter books.

Fantastic Member

I don’t know about sales but I feel Damage, Sideways, and Terrifics are safest based on their content. I fear for Brimstone, even though I loved the first issue and is maybe my favorite so far. It just doesn’t seem like a small town horror book is going to get the same attention as a rift-creating, dimension-hopping Spider-Man esque teenage superhero whose powers originated as the result of metal in Sideways. Don’t get me wrong, I’m quite enjoying Sideways, it just seems easier to market than Brimstone or Silencer.

I'm interested in some of these titles, but as I said in another thread, I don't believe for a second that any of these new characters will be around in five years, so I refuse to get invested, financially or otherwise.

As for Silencer: She's probably the one I'm interested in the most. But that's largely because the concept reminds me somewhat of Kate Spencer, inasmuch that she's both a parent and a vigilante who's not afraid to break a few of the standard superhero "rules." That said, though, I'd rather just read a new Manhunter book.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

With the whole New 52 and than Rebirth and than Metal and soon Button conclusion and follow up
    I find it difficult and not worth following anything D C does month to month.
    If something good comes out of this and word of mouth is good, than I will try a trade or more some time
    in the future.

I think it is funny people always complain DC only cares about Batman yet when they give us a new line of books with no Batman people refuse to even try them. And we have people like tc who admit they haven't even read the books passing them off in a negative manner it is almost like he wants to dislike the books. Nothing scares a comic book fan more than the word change they would rather read the same story with the same characters than even think about trying a new book and complain about anything new that comes along. So I can see how a new line of books starring new and original characters would turn off a lot of comic book fans. But I for one will embrace change and give all these books a try and the ones I have tried so far have not disappointed.