Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Actually all this talk about elementary school reminds me of something that happened the summer before my senior year. It's not something that I did but something that the guy who would have been valedictorian of our graduating class did.

He and family were camping during the last few days of summer. His sister had gone into the river to swim when the current pulled her under and she resurfaced to shout for help before being pulled under again. He jumped into the river himself and saved her life but drowned in the process when the current became to strong and pulled him under. They found him the next morning downriver. I remember how it effected everyone that year and how the girl who would have been salutatorian cried when she have her speech at graduation because he wasn't there to give it. They'd been really close friends for years and had grown up together. They had even dated for a bit in high school.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Are you and Ascended the same person? LOL!
    No! Why does everyone keep asking us that? lol

I remain ever hopeful that I will indeed end up liking the new run but we'll see. There have been far to many times in the past where books have looked and sounded good but ended up disappointing me. It's made me more cautious these days.
    Caution is always the right choice when it comes to modern day Superman. I'm cautiously optimistic, but still cautious. All we can do is give it an honest shot, and if it doesn't work for us, stop reading. I think its imperative that fans not fall for the collector's mindset and support a product even when it's subpar. That just tells DC they can half-ass things and people will still buy it.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No! Why does everyone keep asking us that? lol
    No idea.

Caution is always the right choice when it comes to modern day Superman. I'm cautiously optimistic, but still cautious. All we can do is give it an honest shot, and if it doesn't work for us, stop reading. I think its imperative that fans not fall for the collector's mindset and support a product even when it's subpar. That just tells DC they can half-ass things and people will still buy it.
    I agree particularly with the bolded. Honestly that's a real problem and I do think that it does send the wrong message to comic companies. When I don't like something then I simply don't buy it even if I like the character and I just don't understand the people who will buy anything with the favorite character in it even if it is subpar work.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

So, in the process of soundly ignoring homework I should've finished last week, I've decided that we spend far too much time debating and arguing different things about the canon of Superman, and I thought maybe we needed a thread where we could kick back and share some of the moments in our lives that were touched, in whatever way, by the influence of this character we all love.

It can be anything. If you pulled a stranger out of a fire because you thought "What would Superman do?" go right ahead and brag about that sh*t, you deserve to! If you gave a homeless person your last twenty dollar bill, you bask in the glory of your selfless charity! If you listen to the John Williams score every day at the gym, and that gave you the inspiration to keep going, we wanna hear. If you have the cape Dean Cain's stunt double wore, and it is hung proudly in your living room, share a photo! Whatever!

Nothing is too minor, too silly. Humble-brags are welcome. Just share a highlight from your life that connects, in some way, to Superman.

I have two to share, real quick, just to get us going (if anyone is interested in the first place and this thread isn't just my over-taxed mind being dumb).

As a wedding gift, my wife gave me a Superman collector's card autographed by Chris Reeves, from a set that came out with the first movie. It belonged to her father. It's a very touching gift for a couple reasons; her father was a well respected member of law enforcement, known all across my State, and the guy has high standards for his youngest daughter. He also has five kids (including my wife), so the fact that this card ended up in my possession always seemed a sign of approval (which is cool, even though I've never sought it). Secondly, beyond Superman I'm just a huge fan of Reeves himself; the guy was simply amazing, and what he did for stem cell research was a feat worthy of Superman. So having his autograph at all, on anything, is pretty cool.

My second thing is; I had a chance to sleep with my very own "Lois Lane".....and turned it down because of Superman. I was waiting tables at this tourist town restaurant, and one of my tables was this really attractive brunette who was so involved in her laptop and phone she barely paid enough attention to order food, and was actually kinda rude. Later in my shift she came back, without the computer, ordered a drink and we started talking. Her name wasn't Lois, but she was a reporter out of New York working on a story. She "needed" a place to stay the night and gave me her number for when I got outta work.....and I never called, because I had just started dating the woman who would eventually become my wife. Because that's what Superman would do. But sh*t, it was tempting.
    WOW - what a fantastic idea for a thread! I probably have a million of 'em, so I may just pepper the thread here and there. Ascended, those are great shares, too. (and awesome ones from everyone else, as well!)

So many good experiences. Here are two:
    One time, WAAY before I ever owned one, I was 8 or 9 and saw a Superman arcade machine. I never thought I'd see one again, so I had my dad video record the screen while I proceeded to spend $5.25 in quarters to beat it. Now, I'm putting the parts together to completely refurbish my own original/full-size Superman arcade cabinet.

One great memory (in hindsight) was in Metropolis for the Superman Celebration, about '91 or so (I was 11 if it was). They called a tornado warning, so we drove back to the hotel - I got out, but the wind was so strong, my mother and grandmother couldn't get out of the car - so I pulled the doors open. You could actually see the tornado off in the distance, and it was crazy windy. With me (of course) being in a Superman suit (not my latest one, but I used to live in that thing down there, lol) and my cape whipping around... totally reminded me of the Fleischer cartoons, and I had that in my head as I pulled like crazy to get the doors open. Thankfully, the tornado never got close, but that was both freaky and cool at the same time. Earlier that weekend when we got to our hotel, an older man said "oh, hello Superman!" and he looked familiar but I couldn't place it, but still it really made my day. Then we saw him at the panel that year... it was Kirk Alyn.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    when we got to our hotel, an older man said "oh, hello Superman!" and he looked familiar but I couldn't place it, but still it really made my day. Then we saw him at the panel that year... it was Kirk Alyn.
    Thanks for the kind words, as always!

And those are great stories. Kirk Alyn huh? Nice! I've met a lot of famous people but never one connected to Superman. And certainly no one with that kind of pedigree.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

WOW - what a fantastic idea for a thread! I probably have a million of 'em, so I may just pepper the thread here and there. Ascended, those are great shares, too. (and awesome ones from everyone else, as well!)

One time, WAAY before I ever owned one, I was 8 or 9 and saw a Superman arcade machine. I never thought I'd see one again, so I had my dad video record the screen while I proceeded to spend $5.25 in quarters to beat it. Now, I'm putting the parts together to completely refurbish my own original/full-size Superman arcade cabinet.

One great memory (in hindsight) was in Metropolis for the Superman Celebration, about '91 or so (I was 11 if it was). They called a tornado warning, so we drove back to the hotel - I got out, but the wind was so strong, my mother and grandmother couldn't get out of the car - so I pulled the doors open. You could actually see the tornado off in the distance, and it was crazy windy. With me (of course) being in a Superman suit (not my latest one, but I used to live in that thing down there, lol) and my cape whipping around... totally reminded me of the Fleischer cartoons, and I had that in my head as I pulled like crazy to get the doors open. Thankfully, the tornado never got close, but that was both freaky and cool at the same time. Earlier that weekend when we got to our hotel, an older man said "oh, hello Superman!" and he looked familiar but I couldn't place it, but still it really made my day. Then we saw him at the panel that year... it was Kirk Alyn.
    Those are great stories, JAK. The only Superman connected person I've ever met was Michael Rosenbaum of Lex Luther fame. He is still my favorite Lex Luther.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 04-13-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks for the kind words, as always!

And those are great stories. Kirk Alyn huh? Nice! I've met a lot of famous people but never one connected to Superman. And certainly no one with that kind of pedigree.
    Those are great stories, JAK. The only Superman connected person I've ever met was Michael Rosenbaum of Lex Luther fame. He is still my favorite Lex Luther.

Well, one of these years, you both need to come to Metropolis, Illinois for the Superman Celebration - you'll meet a TON. (https://www.supermancelebration.net/celebrity-guests/) Second weekend in June, every year. Free Q&As, and even most autographs don't cost.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

When I was eight I got a 50th anniversary belt even though his 50th was still two years away at the time. I still have the buckle. Christmas of that same year I got a huge DC coloring book which is the first time I ever heard about things like Earth 2 and Superman's cosmic zoo.
    Assassinate Putin!

Well, one of these years, you both need to come to Metropolis, Illinois for the Superman Celebration - you'll meet a TON. (https://www.supermancelebration.net/celebrity-guests/) Second weekend in June, every year. Free Q&As, and even most autographs don't cost.
    I've always wanted to go to that.

Does Erica Durance ever show up? I might have to leave my wife home, Durance is my "freebie" lol

Just kidding, for those who didn't realize. I wouldn't leave my wife at home!

~ Black Panther.

I've been to Superman Celebration several times and I enjoyed my time there. It's been a while since I've had the time to get back there though. There have been various family issues that have kept me close to home these last several years and I've needed to make some major house repairs on top of that that have likewise kept me from even going to many conventions. I'm hoping to get back there at some point but right now I'm not exactly sure when that will be.

The other day I was standing in the line at a convenience store and there was a kid in the line ahead of me. He was buying some stuff and he standing there counting out dimes and pennies to pay for it but didn't have enough to cover for the items he wanted. I told the clerk to just add his stuff to my own. I then told the kid to not worry about it and to keep his money for something else later. His face broke out into a smile that lit up his eyes and he said "Thank you, so much."

When I was in elementary school I had a friend who was hit on their way to school by a semi whose driver turns out was drunk. She and I had been good friends for a long time and she as a fairly popular girl in school with lots of friends. She suffered severe brain damage in addition to her physical injuries. She literally had to relearn everything and I helped her with things from time to time because that is what friends should do. She was able to return to school a year later but she wasn't the same and as soon as people realized it all the people who claimed to be her friends abandoned her. Even her own sister started treating her differently and acted like a jerk toward her all the time. I was her only support and the only one willing to take the time to stick by her. One day I'd had enough of it and gathered them all together on the school playground and told them to stop being jerks at her just because she wasn't who she had been. Then I turned to her sister and said "especially you. She's your sister and a part of your family and she deserves respect the same as anyone else." After that some people stopped being jerks at her and even started help her out when she needed it.
    Deepest respects to you. These are some inspiring stories. Sad to hear all of this happened to your friend. Both of you are really fortunate to be friends like this.

?? What film was what?

Do you mean the Kevin Bacon thing? There's this game called "Six Steps to Kevin Bacon." The point of the game is to take an actor, and mention someone that actor has acted with, then mention an actor that other actor has acted with, until you reach Kevin Bacon. So you might say "Patrick Stewart was in (movie 1) with Whoopi Goldberg, who was in (movie 2) with Nic Cage, who was in (movie 3) with Brad Pitt, who was in (movie 4) with Kevin Bacon." The goal is to reach Kevin Bacon in six movies or less.
    That's a fun game. I mistook it for a film. Lol.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-13-2018 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Deepest respects to you. These are some inspiring stories. Sad to hear all of this happened to your friend. Both of you are really fortunate to be friends like this.
    Yeah we are. She's told me several times how thankful she was for my standing up for her back then and treating her the same as I had before her accident.

Whoah! Hello Superman! Are you sure you are only 'formerly Superman'? That kind of bravery when 11! At least i know you were Superboy.

Real cool stories. Looking forward to stories from you and others. When you are a Superman fan from such a young age there has to be a number of stories.

Sometime ago i jokingly called Assam a granddaughter of Superman. Looks like the joke's on me. I always forget this guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaktimaan

Shaktimaan was 'inspired' by Superman. If you take away the source of powers and some additional abilities he is a Superman rip-off. And he was like a God to kids like us. When it came out i was around 6. And kids of such ages all over the nation went crazy for him. The show used to air once a week. And after every episode they would air a segment of length of a couple of minutes. Call it a 'PSA for a tv series' for kids. On that segment, Shaktimaan would hang out with kids and teach something good. About health. Good habits. Small but important things. Like not reading when lying down, importance of correct posture, etc. I can't remember any of them. Or if something i actually learnt and applied in practice. But i tried though. And some of those might have slipped in.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    When I was eight I got a 50th anniversary belt even though his 50th was still two years away at the time. I still have the buckle. Christmas of that same year I got a huge DC coloring book which is the first time I ever heard about things like Earth 2 and Superman's cosmic zoo.
    Don't loose that buckle. 100th will bring the next belt.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-13-2018 at 10:50 PM.

I've always wanted to go to that.

Does Erica Durance ever show up? I might have to leave my wife home, Durance is my "freebie" lol

Just kidding, for those who didn't realize. I wouldn't leave my wife at home!
    lol - Erica was invited twice, I believe, and cancelled each time. A shame, too, as we would've loved to meet her. But honestly, it's such a good group of fans down there that it wouldn't matter who the guests were. The all-night Super-discussions with other fans is the best part. We don't get a lot of sleep, believe me. And it really feels like family. It's just very special, and I can't recommend it enough.

I've been to Superman Celebration several times and I enjoyed my time there. It's been a while since I've had the time to get back there though. There have been various family issues that have kept me close to home these last several years and I've needed to make some major house repairs on top of that that have likewise kept me from even going to many conventions. I'm hoping to get back there at some point but right now I'm not exactly sure when that will be.
    Oh, very cool! When was your last year? I went from '88-'98 and picked back up again with (my now-wife, then-girlfriend) Ronda when she suggested it in '07. I'm sorry you haven't been able to make it back, and do hope you get the chance to. I hear you on the house repairs/renovations - i've been reading up and watching YouTube to find out just how much I can do myself for exactly the reason of how costly it can be. if you haven't been to a ReStore (by Habitat for Humanity) I highly recommend it. It's helped a lot. Not sure how much it'd help what you're wanting to do, but wanted to mention it in case it could help.
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    (This is one of those threads where the responses cry out for a 'like' button )

I have had some crazy experiences over the years. Here are a few (but they're not fun (there have been fun ones but I can't think of them right now), so if you want me to remove them I will):

- there was a heavily pregnant woman sitting on the bus stop bench (I was waiting for the bus (on my way to a job interview, pre-mobile phone)) and her waters broke and I ended up accompanying her to the hospital... and the delivery room... and the delivery (for a while I was convinced my fingers were broken)). She gave birth to a healthy baby girl;

- was in a comic book store just before closing. A couple of guys came in - they stole some money and a couple of books... and stabbed the guy behind the counter and left. Blood everywhere, I attended to him while waiting for the emergency services to arrive. Had many strange looks on my way home that night - I didn't realise I was covered in blood until I got home and my Mum saw me

- a postal van clipped the wheel of a bike and pulled it under (the bike owner was not riding at the time, he was standing next to me and the bike was next to him). I somehow jumped over the bike (it all happened so fast) but he got pulled under and his leg snapped, with the bone tearing through the muscle and ripping his leg round. I wrapped his leg with my jacket and pulled tight. Luckily, an ambulance was at the petrol station and they were immediately on site...
    Are you sure you ARE not Superman?1