Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Cool to hear.

I was never into art. I briefly learnt basic sketching from a tutor. I don't remember why i did not continue. I was really young. I used to draw some sketches when i was in school. For my pleasure. I say they were all poor. I remember drawing Superman once. I may post that drawing somewhere when i find it. It was a poor drawing. I remember that i saw it years later and could say its bad. But its good anyway. When you do something with love and care you remember that. That is what really matters, unless its your job. But i guess, its more important to have that love, when its your job.
    Ha, you know what? I wouldn't presume to know. I started doing professional art when I was seventeen. And I was one really stupid ass teenager; arrogant to a fault, completely convinced of my artistic instinct. I butted heads with employers a lot. Lost at least one job that I can remember. Probably one of the reasons I stopped drawing; it stopped being fun.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I agree on all of this. We are proud of what Adkal did. Its painful to hear of this suffering. I haven't known anyone who has suffered this personally. But its harsh reality. My heart goes out to her too. Its sad to hear from JasonTodd. My deepest sympathies.
    I hope you never know anyone who has gone through that. I was close to a few of the women, very close to one of them. It is......not pleasant. Hell, it's horrific; one of the worst things I think someone can experience and the fallout is f**king scary.

But if I'm being honest? Helping that one woman process and deal and go through the whole thing was probably one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed or been a part of. And the woman I knew has become the most incredible person I have ever met.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I hope you never know anyone who has gone through that. I was close to a few of the women, very close to one of them. It is......not pleasant. Hell, it's horrific; one of the worst things I think someone can experience and the fallout is f**king scary.
    It's really not pleasant to watch someone you know fall completely apart and to start questioning their self-worth it the point they are convinced they were to blame for being attacked. It's also not very pleasant to watch them have PTSD flashbacks out of the blue because something triggered them.

But if I'm being honest? Helping that one woman process and deal and go through the whole thing was probably one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed or been a part of. And the woman I knew has become the most incredible person I have ever met.
    Me too. Watching my cousin work through it was one of the most inspirational and inspiring things I've ever seen in my life as was the way the family and the love of her life rallied around her. I knew she was healing when she walked down the aisle to be married to the man who stood by her all during her recovery even when she wanted nothing to do with him.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Well, you can all get another Superman moment to add to your lists. It's been rough going for me lately and reading this thread really cheered me up when I needed it. So great job guys! Our love of Superman made it happen too!

I always try to live by the "what would Superman do?" mentality as many others here do. I've helped stuck motorists on the highway. Most recently, a guy driving in front of me hit a deer with his truck. I stopped to make sure he was ok and see if he needed a lift anywhere. Fortunately he was fine and his truck was built like a tank. So not much damage. I give homeless people cash or food I have on me. I also volunteer at the local food bank to help the less fortunate. If someone needs help, I stop to help them out.

I've also posted in a few threads on here that my office at work was entirely decorated with Superman. It was due to both my love of Superman and as a way to break the ice and get people to relax. It didn't matter who they were or what their age was, no one could walk past my office without stopping with a huge grin and talk Superman with me. It was a great way to meet people and get to know them.

I also was standing in line at a package delivery place when my phone rang. My ringtone is the theme from Superman: The Movie. As the Superman theme plays through the store, the woman in line behind me leans forwards and says "That's the best ringtone I've ever heard". She had a big smile on her face. So that was a fun moment.

Quote Originally Posted by manduck37 View Post
    Well, you can all get another Superman moment to add to your lists. It's been rough going for me lately and reading this thread really cheered me up when I needed it. So great job guys! Our love of Superman made it happen too!

I always try to live by the "what would Superman do?" mentality as many others here do. I've helped stuck motorists on the highway. Most recently, a guy driving in front of me hit a deer with his truck. I stopped to make sure he was ok and see if he needed a lift anywhere. Fortunately he was fine and his truck was built like a tank. So not much damage. I give homeless people cash or food I have on me. I also volunteer at the local food bank to help the less fortunate. If someone needs help, I stop to help them out.

I've also posted in a few threads on here that my office at work was entirely decorated with Superman. It was due to both my love of Superman and as a way to break the ice and get people to relax. It didn't matter who they were or what their age was, no one could walk past my office without stopping with a huge grin and talk Superman with me. It was a great way to meet people and get to know them.

I also was standing in line at a package delivery place when my phone rang. My ringtone is the theme from Superman: The Movie. As the Superman theme plays through the store, the woman in line behind me leans forwards and says "That's the best ringtone I've ever heard". She had a big smile on her face. So that was a fun moment.
    Thanks for sharing. I remember about your office space. You are doing great.

I must say its a good way of thinking. 'What will Superman do?' I tend to be more reactive. 'Superman would not do this' or 'Superman would do this' occasionally. I have done this when giving money to the poor for example. I have sometimes thought of doing something good like this and stopping myself from following through with the thought. One can always find excuses. I am busy is a frequent one. You all have inspired me. I can go a bit further. Extend myself just a bit.

>puts another notch on the belt<

Sorry to hear you've had a rough go of it lately man. Hope it gets better sooner rather than later. And I'm glad this thread was able to brighten your day.

I do this sort of thing too when the opportunity presents itself. I also make it a point to shake the hands of veterans whenever I see them, especially the older guys who probably served in Korea and didn't get a proper welcome home back in the day. Whether I support a war or not is immaterial; these men and women put their lives on the line to serve their nation and they have no control over where they're shipped or why they fight.

People love Superman. I believe its actually our natural disposition to love Superman.

My wife has used the John Williams score a few times. I tend to go with the "victory song" from Final Fantasy, just to go against type. Everyone who knows me knows my love for Superman, so using the ringtone just seems.....stereotypical.

~ Black Panther.

Whoops, double post.

Nothing to see here. Move along.....move along.....
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-17-2018 at 07:49 PM.

~ Black Panther.

When I lived in Cayman I used to help out at various charities - mainly for kids but also for the elderly and I would sometimes lend a hand with the abused women charity (away from charity walks and baking (yes, I bake now and then ) - and my affection for Superman was quite well-known. One of the families I used to spend time with... the kids gave me a present:

FB_IMG_1524041881308.jpg

I was stunned.

Sorry to hear you've had a rough go of it lately man. Hope it gets better sooner rather than later. And I'm glad this thread was able to brighten your day.
    Ditto - although I do apologise for some of the grim stuff I shared earlier (but, as we all know, Superman doesn't shy away from grim ).

People love Superman. I believe its actually our natural disposition to love Superman.
    Despite what all the naysayers say, deep down they know they want him in their corner.

My wife has used the John Williams score a few times. I tend to go with the "victory song" from Final Fantasy, just to go against type. Everyone who knows me knows my love for Superman, so using the ringtone just seems.....stereotypical.
    I had the score 'tapped out' so rather than the ringtone it was the vibration sequence.

Thanks for the well wishes everyone! Nothing I can't handle. After all, Superman never gives up. Things seem to be heading in the right direction. I hope more people share their Superman experiences. This is great stuff. I'm hoping people post some of their experiences going out to get Action Comics 1000 today.

I agree, I think people are naturally disposed to like Superman no matter what they say. He's been around for 80 years and is one of the most recognized and loved pop culture icons. Clearly there is something special about him.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Ditto - although I do apologise for some of the grim stuff I shared earlier (but, as we all know, Superman doesn't shy away from grim ).
    No apologizing!

It's when life gets real messy that we really need to stand up for each other; and sharing stories means sometimes those stories will be a little messy.

If anyone gets upset by anyone's story, we can cross that bridge when we come to it but until then, all I'm seeing here are people trying to do right by others and helping out in troubled times. Nothing to be upset about; all I see is some inspiring sh*t right here.

~ Black Panther.

I'm hoping people post some of their experiences going out to get Action Comics 1000 today.
    Well, I was at work and my wife made the trip. She picked out the Steve Rude variant cover (she knows me well).

So.....that's my Action 1K story. Hell, I haven't even read it yet (way too much homework!).

Our LCS had a midnight release party that we didnt attend (we're working students with kids! Who stays up to midnight and actually *goes* places?) so when my wife got there this morning the place was pretty quiet. Not sure how many copies they had left, but they had at least a few; she got to pick between the Rude cover, Jurgens, and someone else she didn't recognize.

.....they did give her 50% off a Harley trade she's been eyeballing for a while (I'm pretty sure they ordered it just for her actually)

~ Black Panther.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

There were midnight release parties here as well but I wasn't able to go either. I did go out this morning and actually pick up a physical copy of it though, which isn't a normal thing for me anymore seeing as how I get my comics digitally these days. I ended up with the Allred variant cover which was my second choice. They were out of the Rude cover, which was the one I really wanted but I wasn't able to get to any other shop today so I guess I'll be out of luck there. At least my digital copy came with the variants so I can at least see all of them even if I only own one.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Cool to hear.

I was never into art. I briefly learnt basic sketching from a tutor. I don't remember why i did not continue. I was really young. I used to draw some sketches when i was in school. For my pleasure. I say they were all poor. I remember drawing Superman once. I may post that drawing somewhere when i find it. It was a poor drawing. I remember that i saw it years later and could say its bad. But its good anyway. When you do something with love and care you remember that. That is what really matters, unless its your job. But i guess, its more important to have that love, when its your job.
    Thanks.

Now that you mention it, I forgot where mine was. The trophy is kept in the family cabinet of course, but I haven't seen the drawing in years. My mom is usually the one who keeps it, but I'm not sure. It's been so long.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    That's a cool story.
    Thank you!

Good. Glad I didn't overdo it.

Ah, good man! I've helped a few stranded motorists in my day as well. I think my favorite story was when I was in high school. A couple cars went off icy roads and into the ditch (small town, we had ditches on the sides of our roads). No one was hurt or anything; it was just a inconvenience (New England, am I right?). I got out of the bus and helped push a pickup truck back onto the street. The bus left without me, I got soaked, and I ended up being late for class. But some cute girls on the bus saw me being all helpful and manly, so teen-me definitely saw it as a win.

I'm telling you guys, the glasses thing? It would totally work.

Not gonna beat facial recognition technology or anything, but for the average dude on the street? They're not gonna glance at Clark Kent twice.
    That's fantastic! I also live in a small town (mostly rural area) and we often have cars and trucks going off into ditches. Reminds me of a time when I was in a college and there was a flash flood that filled up a large ditch on a hilly road I was traveling to visit a friend in another town. I saw a truck halfway submerged in the ditch and pulled over to ask if the driver needed help. She said she was okay, but I was willing to go in and help her out of the vehicle. I think she was more afraid of a stranger than being in the truck. As for the glasses thing, this has happened to me too. I'm in radio part time and usually don't wear glasses and dress very casually. I had to work a fundraiser with a 20s theme and wore a black suit. I was still waiting on my contacts to come in the mail, so I had to wear my black-rimmed glasses. I also slicked my hair back for the 20s theme and was not recognized immediately by people I'd known for years. Granted, I didn't seem them everyday, but it's amazing what a change of clothes and glasses can do to change how you're seen by people you know. I also had my gray fedora, though I didn't wear it inside. It was a full Clark Kent evening!