Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

double post
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 04-13-2018 at 11:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    (This is one of those threads where the responses cry out for a 'like' button )

I have had some crazy experiences over the years. Here are a few (but they're not fun (there have been fun ones but I can't think of them right now), so if you want me to remove them I will):
    Remove them? Are you kidding? These are the kinds of stories I was hoping people would have! Helping a pregnant woman through her delivery, lending aid to the injured, you don't get any more "Superman" than that!

My hat is off to you, good sir!

.....guys seriously tried to rob a comic book store? Damn, way to aim low. How much money did they think they'd find there?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    The only way it could be better (for some, not all), is 'i dated someone who dated Christopher Reeve'. Nice of you to share it with us.
    [BSmode] Yeah, yeah, that's it. And she dated him first and then me because I was an upgrade. [/BSmodeoff].
    Power with Girl is better.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

The other day I was standing in the line at a convenience store and there was a kid in the line ahead of me. He was buying some stuff and he standing there counting out dimes and pennies to pay for it but didn't have enough to cover for the items he wanted. I told the clerk to just add his stuff to my own. I then told the kid to not worry about it and to keep his money for something else later. His face broke out into a smile that lit up his eyes and he said "Thank you, so much."

When I was in elementary school I had a friend who was hit on their way to school by a semi whose driver turns out was drunk. She and I had been good friends for a long time and she as a fairly popular girl in school with lots of friends. She suffered severe brain damage in addition to her physical injuries. She literally had to relearn everything and I helped her with things from time to time because that is what friends should do. She was able to return to school a year later but she wasn't the same and as soon as people realized it all the people who claimed to be her friends abandoned her. Even her own sister started treating her differently and acted like a jerk toward her all the time. I was her only support and the only one willing to take the time to stick by her. One day I'd had enough of it and gathered them all together on the school playground and told them to stop being jerks at her just because she wasn't who she had been. Then I turned to her sister and said "especially you. She's your sister and a part of your family and she deserves respect the same as anyone else." After that some people stopped being jerks at her and even started help her out when she needed it.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That soap opera was LOVE OF LIFE. My mother watched it religiously—she even had a little ritual where she would make a pot of tea and sip her tea as she watched the show. This was always her special time in the day to pause from the house work and have time for herself.

When I was little, pre school, she would send me outside to play, so I wouldn’t bother her. But as I grew up, I got to know the characters and the stories. In the summers and on holidays, I’d often watch LOL, so I well knew Christopher Reeve, as Benny, from that show.

I like the Alvin Schwartz novel/memoir, AN UNLIKELY PROPHET, where he makes a case for Superman being real and involved in our lives. Someone should have done a movie adaptation of that.
    I love AN UNLIKELY PROPHET. It's a must for any Superman fan.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I wish I had something super cool to share, but other than trying to always do the right thing and sometimes asking myself the question " what would Supes do?" In certain situations, I really can't name anything specific in terms of say confronting bullies and helping birth babies.

My mom once made me a crochet Superman cape for me when I was 4 or 5. She told me I was unimpressed with the little red Velcro thing that came with the Superman underoos I owned and thus she knitted me a full size cape. It was bigger than me! It was awesome for what it was but her version of the yellow S left a lot to be desired! LOL
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I wish I had something super cool to share, but other than trying to always do the right thing and sometimes asking myself the question " what would Supes do?" In certain situations, I really can't name anything specific in terms of say confronting bullies and helping birth babies.

My mom once made me a crochet Superman cape for me when I was 4 or 5. She told me I was unimpressed with the little red Velcro thing that came with the Superman underoos I owned and thus she knitted me a full size cape. It was bigger than me! It was awesome for what it was but her version of the yellow S left a lot to be desired! LOL
    I had a long red cape that was just an old sheet that I used to tie around my neck to play "Superman". It was really long and dragged the floor. The cat we had at the time loved to hide under it when I was wearing it and I would oftentimes find her curled up asleep on it too. My grandma eventually made me a more suitably sized Super cape (along with a Batman and a Robin one) but I still preferred the old one even though it was nowhere near the right shade of red and had no "S" symbol of any sort on it.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    The other day I was standing in the line at a convenience store and there was a kid in the line ahead of me. He was buying some stuff and he standing there counting out dimes and pennies to pay for it but didn't have enough to cover for the items he wanted. I told the clerk to just add his stuff to my own. I then told the kid to not worry about it and to keep his money for something else later. His face broke out into a smile that lit up his eyes and he said "Thank you, so much."
    Heh, I just bought lunch for a State trooper the other day while my daughter and I were grabbing Subway. The cops around here have been good to my family, and are a step above the cut you know? And dude looked like he'd had a long shift so I figured I'd drop an extra five bucks on his meal. It's good for my little girl to see charity like that you know?

When I was in elementary school I had a friend who was hit on their way to school by a semi whose driver turns out was drunk. She and I had been good friends for a long time and she as a fairly popular girl in school with lots of friends. She suffered severe brain damage in addition to her physical injuries. She literally had to relearn everything and I helped her with things from time to time because that is what friends should do. She was able to return to school a year later but she wasn't the same and as soon as people realized it all the people who claimed to be her friends abandoned her. Even her own sister started treating her differently and acted like a jerk toward her all the time. I was her only support and the only one willing to take the time to stick by her. One day I'd had enough of it and gathered them all together on the school playground and told them to stop being jerks at her just because she wasn't who she had been. Then I turned to her sister and said "especially you. She's your sister and a part of your family and she deserves respect the same as anyone else." After that some people stopped being jerks at her and even started help her out when she needed it.
    Damn. That is some straight up All-Star level Supermaning right there. Good for you! And my condolences to your friend for her accident. That must've been very hard on her (and you too!). Good to hear you stuck by her, and stood up for her. And even better to hear that some other people listened.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

Well, we can't all help strangers bring life into the world or perform emergency medical services.

If you ask yourself "What would Superman do in this situation?" and then do the right thing because of that, then that's perfectly within the parameters of this thread, and is worthy of mentioning! Like I said, there's no wrong or bad answers here. If the best you got is dropping some loose change in a Salvation Army bucket, then you brag about that sh*t here too!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    Which film was that?
    ?? What film was what?

Do you mean the Kevin Bacon thing? There's this game called "Six Steps to Kevin Bacon." The point of the game is to take an actor, and mention someone that actor has acted with, then mention an actor that other actor has acted with, until you reach Kevin Bacon. So you might say "Patrick Stewart was in (movie 1) with Whoopi Goldberg, who was in (movie 2) with Nic Cage, who was in (movie 3) with Brad Pitt, who was in (movie 4) with Kevin Bacon." The goal is to reach Kevin Bacon in six movies or less.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    ? Damn. That is some straight up All-Star level Supermaning right there. Good for you! And my condolences to your friend for her accident. That must've been very hard on her (and you too!). Good to hear you stuck by her, and stood up for her. And even better to hear that some other people listened.
    It was hard on everyone actually, even on the students at the school especially the ones who happened to be walking with her that day. She was a well liked and kind person who'd never done any harm and here some SOB hits her on her way to school one morning changing her life forever. It wasn't fair and she was very lucky to have survived at all. I remember the entire school sending her get well cards and presents at the time and there were even several events put together by the her church, the PTA and school district to help her family cover her medical expenses. Our class hosted a softball game with ticket sales going into her fund. We're still good friends to this day and she's still the same kind person she was then, she just needs people around her to help her out once in a while is all. She never married but she has a good support group of friends and co-workers who are always willing to help her out or to take her places she needs to go.

I'm glad her life seems to have turned out okay. And I'm certain she appreciates everything you did (and certainly still do) for her.

You're good people, JasonTodd428. I don't care what the other posters say about you.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I'm glad her life seems to have turned out okay. And I'm certain she appreciates everything you did (and certainly still do) for her.

You're good people, JasonTodd428. I don't care what the other posters say about you.
    You're good people too, Ascended. I know I can be pretty blunt but I try not to be intentionally mean about it and I try not to be intentionally dismissive of people's opinion's either. I'm just very passionate about most things so sometimes I can and do make missteps here and there.

You're good people, sir.

LOL, and I said the same thing as Ascended again. I swear I didn't see it when I posted it, I'm not doing it on purpose.

Anywho, if I wasn't rooting like hell that you end up liking the new Superman run before so you don't have to go without a fix for a while, I am now.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

You're good people too, Ascended. I know I can be pretty blunt but I try not to be intentionally mean about it and I try not to be intentionally dismissive of people's opinion's either. I'm just very passionate about most things so sometimes I can and do make missteps here and there.
    Oh I was just messing around man. No one says anything bad about you (that I know of, anyway).

And I can be as blunt as anyone, but like you I (rarely) intend to be mean or dismissive.

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You're good people, sir.

LOL, and I said the same thing as Ascended again. I swear I didn't see it when I posted it, I'm not doing it on purpose.

Anywho, if I wasn't rooting like hell that you end up liking the new Superman run before so you don't have to go without a fix for a while, I am now.
    Are you and Ascended the same person? LOL!

Someone had to say something so I did. No one else was going to and the way they were treating her was awful. She was having enough trouble just adjusting to being back at school and was already frustrated when things that used to be easy for her weren't anymore. It didn't magically solve everything for her of course but it did eventually lead to her having a core group that she was able to be herself around without fear of being rejected because of her physical and mental issues. And that lead her to being able to make it through school until graduation and to realize that this accident didn't have to be the end of anything.

I remain ever hopeful that I will indeed end up liking the new run but we'll see. There have been far to many times in the past where books have looked and sounded good but ended up disappointing me. It's made me more cautious these days.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 04-13-2018 at 03:43 PM.