Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

EDIT: Oops.

Just realised that the thread is *FUN* Superman moments.

That story was not fun...
    Last edited by _Feely_; 04-21-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    Thank you!

That's fantastic! I also live in a small town (mostly rural area) and we often have cars and trucks going off into ditches. Reminds me of a time when I was in a college and there was a flash flood that filled up a large ditch on a hilly road I was traveling to visit a friend in another town. I saw a truck halfway submerged in the ditch and pulled over to ask if the driver needed help. She said she was okay, but I was willing to go in and help her out of the vehicle. I think she was more afraid of a stranger than being in the truck. As for the glasses thing, this has happened to me too. I'm in radio part time and usually don't wear glasses and dress very casually. I had to work a fundraiser with a 20s theme and wore a black suit. I was still waiting on my contacts to come in the mail, so I had to wear my black-rimmed glasses. I also slicked my hair back for the 20s theme and was not recognized immediately by people I'd known for years. Granted, I didn't seem them everyday, but it's amazing what a change of clothes and glasses can do to change how you're seen by people you know. I also had my gray fedora, though I didn't wear it inside. It was a full Clark Kent evening!
    It's sad how people are more afraid of strangers than tangible danger now. I used to hitchhike a lot, and when I was driving I'd pick hitchers up whenever I could. Never had a problem with any of them. After the wife and kids I stopped doing it as much but also, more people were refusing rides. Which, yknow, scary world and all, I totally get it. But it's still a little sad how much trust in each other we all seem to have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by _Feely_ View Post
    EDIT: Oops.

Just realised that the thread is *FUN* Superman moments.

That story was not fun...
    It's okay. We've had a number of very sad stories here. It's cool. As long as Superman inspired you in some way, feel free to share! Even if it's sad. All tales of how this fictional character influenced your life (in whatever small or even big way) are welcome.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    It's sad how people are more afraid of strangers than tangible danger now. I used to hitchhike a lot, and when I was driving I'd pick hitchers up whenever I could. Never had a problem with any of them. After the wife and kids I stopped doing it as much but also, more people were refusing rides. Which, yknow, scary world and all, I totally get it. But it's still a little sad how much trust in each other we all seem to have lost.
    It's very sad, especially here in the South where we pride ourselves on helping each other out. I understood that a woman would probably just want to wait in her vehicle for someone she trusted to arrive, but she had to be pretty scared sitting in a half-submerged truck as the rain just kept falling. I'd have gladly waited with her and was going to tell her so, but she seemed panicked enough when I asked if she needed help.

Another fun moment of helping drivers in distress was back in my college days. A car was stranded in the turn lane on the Atchafalya Basin bridge, which is a 20-mile bridge over mostly marsh and swamp land. I was visiting friends in the area and saw the car and drivers in need. I had a friend of mine with me and we both made a U-turn on his one-way side of the bridge to get right behind the other car and get help. The shoulder is maybe 8 feet wide and people have been clipped and badly injured getting out of their cars. The four passengers in this little Honda Accord were so grateful we stopped and said they had friends on the way. They were from New York and were spending the summer driving through the country, two girls and two guys. The girls were insanely beautiful and that was one of the reasons I was willing to risk my then 18-year old neck to assist. Now that I'm married, I have to keep rescuing beautiful women to a minimum...

Whelp, I don't think I'll get the job I interviewed for yesterday.

Turned up late because a woman fell down the stairs at the tube station and broke her leg, and I was waiting with her for the medics to arrive. Missed a couple of trains so ended up late.

Oh well

In other news: doing a Tough Mudder on Saturday and my workload has been so nasty that I've barely done any training but it's for a good cause and one, I think, Clark would certainly support.

Quote Originally Posted by adkal View Post
    Whelp, I don't think I'll get the job I interviewed for yesterday.

Turned up late because a woman fell down the stairs at the tube station and broke her leg, and I was waiting with her for the medics to arrive. Missed a couple of trains so ended up late.

Oh well

In other news: doing a Tough Mudder on Saturday and my workload has been so nasty that I've barely done any training but it's for a good cause and one, I think, Clark would certainly support.
    You should've spun it as supporting CSR! Corporate social responsibility is a big thing now.

An employee who stops and helps his fellow man (and perhaps mentions how excellent his employer's products are in the process) is some of the best free advertising you could ask for, and would certainly be a boon to the company's long-term interests.

But in all seriousness, sorry to hear you probably won't get the job.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    That soap opera was LOVE OF LIFE. My mother watched it religiously—she even had a little ritual where she would make a pot of tea and sip her tea as she watched the show. This was always her special time in the day to pause from the house work and have time for herself.
    Wow, the "Love of Life" I hear that pipe organ music now My Grandmother watch this and "The Guiding Light" that, I remember being on radio, and my grandma at the time, being overjoyed when that show switch over to TV along with "Search for Tomorrow" and "The Secret Storm" and then sowe my Mom's favorite "Peyton Place" because she like Lana Turner in the movie, and now was a night time TV drama - oh joy
    ================================================== ================================================== =====

A REAL or, Surreal Life Moment:
    The reason I went into broadcasting was, I wanted to sound like Superman (Bud Coyller), and I was totally fascinated with The Adventures of Superman series announcer(s) (Radio) Jackson Beck, and on (TV) it was Bill Kennedy! I always thought growing up, that the timbre in thier voices sounded so; rich, regal and powerful! And, like any other lunitic kid, from the age of five on, I'd go around the house practicing that...along with the blanket around the neck, drawing an "S" on the "T" shirt, etc.. and you all know the rest of that .... however...

Flash forward some 12 years later, and fresh out of the DM School of broadcasting with my FC-Commercial Radio Operator License in hand, getting my first paid professional job doing nights and overnights, and on my very first day, after pulling and queueing my records to talk up, I go to sit down and I TOTALLY MISSED the stool seat, landing on my "you know what" with a "thud" and mic open.....

To this day, I have NO IDEA how I missed that seat.NONE, ZILCH!

A Surreal Life Moment!