Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011
    D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zeeguy91 View Post
    But that's exactly the thing. DC hasn't been respecting the past. That's what has fans so upset. People don't care if Cyborg is on the League now, but they want his Titans history back as part of his backstory. So, yes, move forward but there's a balance to be struck between that and respecting the past. After all, even though Green Lantern has gone back to being a middling seller and they've moved past the emotional spectrum, all of the elements from Johns's run haven't been erased from continuity and it would be foolish for them to do so because a future writer can mine those elements for stories.

The Titans used to be in the upper echelons of that hierarchy and they're still one of the most recognizable superhero teams in the DCU. That's why DC editorial needs to treat these characters as if they're independent of the League's orbit and not erase their most iconic, character-defining stories from the timeline. You'd think that'd be obvious.
    Restoration of their history isn't going to magically fix abysmal and oftentimes repetitive stories though and frankly even when the history was there things still weren't working well. Writer's need to stop relying on nostalgia with the Titans and until they do we'll keep getting the same old stories rehashed.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    Restoration of their history isn't going to magically fix abysmal and oftentimes repetitive stories though and frankly even when the history was there things still weren't working well. Writer's need to stop relying on nostalgia with the Titans and until they do we'll keep getting the same old stories rehashed.
    I know it won't magically fix everything. But the things wrong with the Titans stem from DC editorial viewing them as just the "junior Justice League." So, deleting their history that cemented them as an independent team only has a deleterious effect on the franchise. And any new additions that a writer would bring to the franchise would be bolstered by classic foundations. For example, any new villains for the Titans would benefit from being new additions to an already existing and well-defined rogues gallery, as opposed to being the sole villains in said gallery in a franchise that's starting from the ground up.
    Last edited by Green Goblin of Sector 2814; 04-16-2018 at 07:02 PM.

I know it won't magically fix everything. But the things wrong with the Titans stem from DC editorial viewing them as just the "junior Justice League." So, deleting their history that cemented them as an independent team only has a deleterious effect on the franchise. And any new additions that a writer would bring to the franchise would be bolstered by classic foundations. For example, any new villains for the Titans would benefit from being new additions to an already existing and well-defined rogues gallery, as opposed to being the sole villains in said gallery in a franchise that's starting from the ground up.
    To be fair I don't think that's the only problem the franchise has.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by RepHope View Post
    Especially regarding these two dead horses.
    Oh my god. I know right? Anyone remember one of the reunion attempts that had art by some Image/Top Cow artist.....Joe Bennett, or something? Early-mid 00's maybe? I was hyped for that book. And the first arc was Trigon. And I was done with issue 2. I've read that story far too many times already. Just totally killed it for me.

But that's exactly the thing. DC hasn't been respecting the past. That's what has fans so upset. People don't care if Cyborg is on the League now, but they want his Titans history back as part of his backstory. So, yes, move forward but there's a balance to be struck between that and respecting the past. After all, even though Green Lantern has gone back to being a middling seller and they've moved past the emotional spectrum, all of the elements from Johns's run haven't been erased from continuity and it would be foolish for them to do so because a future writer can mine those elements for stories.
    Hell yes. On this we totally agree. You respect the past, but you build from it, you don't wallow in it. DC either ignores it completely, or wallows in it.

The Titans used to be in the upper echelons of that hierarchy and they're still one of the most recognizable superhero teams in the DCU. That's why DC editorial needs to treat these characters as if they're independent of the League's orbit and not erase their most iconic, character-defining stories from the timeline. You'd think that'd be obvious.
    I know! You would!

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    I agree with that. Titans desperately needs some freshness to it and it also needs a steady, guiding hand to rebuild the franchise by setting up a firm foundation that later writers can then build on. As an example: Jurgens and Tomasi have done exactly that with Superman during Rebirth giving Bendis a firm foundation to build his run on. DC needs to find a writer for Titans that can do the same.
    Holy crap. You know what the brand needs? It needs a new Geoff Johns. Someone who can come in, pick out the truly essential elements, and build a deeper layer with them, while (mostly) respecting the past. Johns works magic fixing broken franchises (most of the time), and as we've said, his was the only truly successful run we've seen in a long time. I'm not saying Johns himself should return. I think I'd rather he didn't (he's likely said what he has to say, right?). But someone *like* him, who can tease out those important bits and do new things with them.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Oh my god. I know right? Anyone remember one of the reunion attempts that had art by some Image/Top Cow artist.....Joe Bennett, or something? Early-mid 00's maybe? I was hyped for that book. And the first arc was Trigon. And I was done with issue 2. I've read that story far too many times already. Just totally killed it for me.

Hell yes. On this we totally agree. You respect the past, but you build from it, you don't wallow in it. DC either ignores it completely, or wallows in it.

I know! You would!

Holy crap. You know what the brand needs? It needs a new Geoff Johns. Someone who can come in, pick out the truly essential elements, and build a deeper layer with them, while (mostly) respecting the past. Johns works magic fixing broken franchises (most of the time), and as we've said, his was the only truly successful run we've seen in a long time. I'm not saying Johns himself should return. I think I'd rather he didn't (he's likely said what he has to say, right?). But someone *like* him, who can tease out those important bits and do new things with them.
    Exactly. Someone who can come in and fix the broken mess this franchise has become and who won't wallow in the past of the Titans in order to rebuild it. It is possible to acknowledge and respect that past without resorting to wallowing in it and wallowing in it is a problem the book has always had IMHO.