Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Default Superman #1 & Action Comics #1001 July Solicitations

SUPERMAN #1
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    art and cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO
    variant cover by ADAM HUGHES
    variant cover by DAVID MACK
    A bold new chapter for the greatest superhero of all time begins here as the superstar team of writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Ivan Reis begin their run on the all-new SUPERMAN! The fallout from the Man of Steel miniseries has Clark Kent looking at the world through new eyes...with new ideas about what Superman could and should do for the city of Metropolis and the planet Earth. His first job? Getting the planet back out of the Phantom Zone!
    ON SALE 07.11.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

ACTION COMICS #1,001
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    art and cover by PATRICK GLEASON
    variant cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL
    variant cover by DAVID MACK
    Acclaimed writer Brian Michael Bendis’ new chapter for the Man of Steel and the world of tomorrow begins here! The devastating repercussions from the Man of Steel miniseries still reverberate as Metropolis enters a new age! The Daily Planet teeters on the brink of disaster! A new criminal element has made its way onto the streets of Superman’s hometown! The longest- running superhero comic of all time explodes off the page with art by fan favorite Patrick Gleason.
    ON SALE 07.25.18
    $3.99 US | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T

Default Superman #1 and Action Comics 1001 solicitations

Nice covers!

So Reis *is* drawing the belt at an angle! This makes me happy. Over in the costume discussion thread I've talked about texture work, and what Reis has going on here is pretty decent. Not quite on the level I'd want to see, but getting closer. Very pleased.

And it looks like the cuffs are already being downplayed. I suspect they'll be completely gone fairly quickly.

And that Gleason cover? That's some damn fine work right there, very energetic, and I love how he did the silhouette of the Daily Planet.

The text is.....interesting. Getting the planet out of the Phantom Zone? Did Clark finally get the tech from For Tomorrow working properly? I wonder if Bendis will do a call-back to that story to explain where the technology came from? Azzarello's run is well remembered (if not fondly) and I'd like to think Bendis would at least pay that much attention to continuity. I mean, all I want to see is just a reference. Clark saying something like "The first time I tried this, it didn't go so well and it took a year to undo the damage." That's all I'd need.
    Last edited by Ascended; 04-13-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Trapping the whole planet inside the Phantom Zone is my kind of Bonkers

I think Reis knows that the trunks are outdated and is drawing them that way because it adds a sleekness to them. It’s makes the trunks look cool again (the last time they were cool were when they extended down the thigh like short shorts).

So Superman’s first arc deals with the Earth getting stuck in the Phantom Zone, should be a fun story. Action Comics is what I’m really interested in though, even if it doesn’t have a whole lot of information.

It seems like the villains of Man of Steel are meant to represent both books. Both villains go after Superman and Metropolis in Man of Steel and then they split off to Superman and Action Comics.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Action very much conveys what Bendis has been explaining. I'm a bit disappointed that Reis went with the option of a generic cover but I'll try to get the Hughes variant if it's different

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

These look great!

The entire freaking planet Earth in the Phantom Zone? Call me intrigued.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I wonder if the Phantom Zone thing happens in Man of Steel. Color me intrigued though. Let's do this!
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

BANNED

I think Lois and Jon end up stranded in the Phantom Zone for a while, which explains why everyone at the Planet would be talking about her and Clark being worried. What better way to show how brave Lois is than to put her and her kid in that situation?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    I think Lois and Jon end up stranded in the Phantom Zone for a while, which explains why everyone at the Planet would be talking about her and Clark being worried. What better way to show how brave Lois is than to put her and her kid in that situation?
    If they were in that bad of a situation in the MoS mini, i doubt Clark would still be at the daily planet and living life on Earth normally. They probably are somewhere off planet, but I'm doubtful of a place like the phantom zone.

I think I am going to give Bendis' Action and Superman a try. The idea of the world being trapped in the Phantom Zone interests me.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    If they were in that bad of a situation in the MoS mini, i doubt Clark would still be at the daily planet and living life on Earth normally. They probably are somewhere off planet, but I'm doubtful of a place like the phantom zone.
    Wouldn't that yield the same results? Clark staying behind to get the Earth out of the Phantom Zone I can understand, but afterwards he'd be searching space for them rather than pursue stories.

Y'know, with Zod and company gone it'll be interesting to see what dangers in the Phantom Zone will be used here. Is Xa-Du still there?

BANNED

The question is WHY the earth was put in the phantom zone

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Pretty much an ideal pitch for a new #1 as far as I'm concerned - Superman's rethinking the way he does things in a hopefully substantive way, and also by the way in the meantime he has to save the world from GHOST HELL. Can't say the same for the covers though, Superman's boring and Action's a little much - though I love seeing the apple, and a flip-phone like his New 52 self before him (of all the continuity elements to survive...) - so I'll probably aim for the variants, the Mack ones if I can get both.
    Buh-bye