Default What Wonder Woman stories would you rather be reading?

Not to yuck on anyone's yum (and more power to you if you are enjoying it), but readers seem to be (I'll be diplomatic) divided over Robinson's run and some of it's elements or the handling of some of the characters and characterizations; Jason, Darkseid, Grail, Steve, the Female Furies, etc.

So, if you had your way, what parts of the Wonder mythos, characters, and concepts (in relation to their relationship with Diana) would you rather be reading about or set up in the Rebirth DCU?

Are there any storylines or character relationships that haven't been explored that you'd like to see on the page? Are there Wonder concepts you'd like to see get Rebirthed and do you have characters and a storyline or plot in mind to excavate them?

If you had the "reins of the kanga" so to speak, which direction(s) would you head Diana in next in terms of character interactions and stories?

I'd go back and redo Jason.

I know, I know. He's not exactly the most welcome member of the Wonder Family right now, but if done right, he could be a very good supporting character.

He could be the naive, yet eager to make his sister proud of him, brother that wants to do good, but screws up (in different fashion from how he has). Toss the suit, toss the extra powers (or lessen his overall abilities to make them balance out), and have him be tied to his namesake, by tracking down the Golden Fleece on a quest with Diana. Sent by their mother, with Diana supervising Jason, but having to let Jason do the major things himself. But that would be down the line.

Rucka did a great job with "Rebirthing" Diana and the Amazons (toodles, New52 sex pirates, you won't be missed), but fell rather flat with Steve. The guy needs more personality to him.

But overall, keep Diana in character. Having her opt to literally beat the answers out of a couple of Darkseid's Furies, when her lasso would have worked, with far less hassle and made far more sense for her character.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

I know, I know. He's not exactly the most welcome member of the Wonder Family right now, but if done right, he could be a very good supporting character.

He could be the naive, yet eager to make his sister proud of him, brother that wants to do good, but screws up (in different fashion from how he has). Toss the suit, toss the extra powers (or lessen his overall abilities to make them balance out), and have him be tied to his namesake, by tracking down the Golden Fleece on a quest with Diana. Sent by their mother, with Diana supervising Jason, but having to let Jason do the major things himself. But that would be down the line.

Rucka did a great job with "Rebirthing" Diana and the Amazons (toodles, New52 sex pirates, you won't be missed), but fell rather flat with Steve. The guy needs more personality to him.

But overall, keep Diana in character. Having her opt to literally beat the answers out of a couple of Darkseid's Furies, when her lasso would have worked, with far less hassle and made far more sense for her character.
    Make him gay or at least bi. It would help him to stand out a bit at least.

I personally would like a Circe story in the same vein as the Strange/Doom: Triumph and Torment book.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Utilize Ares more as a mastermind. I don't want him to be just a starter epic boss but then gone for a long time. The world is constantly at war, so use him as the man behind the man. Bring back Eris, Duke of Deception, Earl of Greed, and so on. Bring back the whole family.

As for Jason, he can keep the costume but change the name. There's too many Jason in DCU. Jason Todd, Jason Bard, Jason Blood, and since Greek mythology exists, Jason and The Argonaut already exist too.

Bring back the Kapatelis as Diana's mentor and little sister. Let Diana be introduced first to Steve and Etta, but have her stay at the Kapatelis home. At least wait if you want to make her the Silver Swan.

I kinda like Myndi Mayer too.

I want Dr. Psycho back to represent the sexist and misogynist men in the world. They still exist in the real world, so he should be a perpetual enemy too.

Keep Cliff Chiang's design on some of the gods, like Artemis, Eros, Apollo, Dyonisus, and Poseidon. They're really creative. Make them have the classic look on Olympus, but wear their urban look while on the human world.

So I basically want a mix of everything I like
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 04-13-2018 at 11:50 AM.

I have no idea on how marketable this is.

1. Make sure you get a smattering of "domestic" stories, ie stories that focus on Diana solving non-superhero issues and interacting with both superheroes and non-superheroes as a friend. That will give a stronger feel for her personality, her relations, and give the action-oriented stories greater emotional resonance. (I believe the Clark Kent persona greatly contributed to Superman's popularity and strength as a character.) Likewise, I think Diana should be shown making friends and emotional connections in any type of story. That's one of the main strengths of the film, though it is harder to do in comics form.

2. Diana's two main supporting characters should be Steve Trevor and Etta Candy: they're her Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen, or Alfred and Robin. Both should be developed as persons first, with interests, goals, and personalities that both are reasonably well-rounded but also contrasts with Diana.

3. Severely limit the supporting men other than Steve Trevor. Look at Jason: it appears the writers prefer to make him the focus on the stories. Likewise drop the Zeus connection as Diana's father: Perez's vision of Diana's origin with blessings from six Olympian gods was extremely well-thought-out and gives a clear understanding of Diana's powers. Right now Diana's origins gets diluted with extra characters and men around her of Amazon origin.

4. At the same time, limit Diana's interaction with the gods. I'm not against them turning up in her stories, but I think there have been a surfeit of what I call high-mythical stories, and they easily turn into deus ex machinas, which limit the agency given to Diana. She becomes their agent more than a hero.

6. When you turn to the Olympian gods, make sure they're not monolithic. Even when they are allies, they should likely quarrel and disagree with each other. Or put them in oppositition to each other, like an adventure where Diana has to solve or mediate a dispute where the gods are on opposite sides.

7. I like Circe and Dr Psycho as asymmetrical enemies to Diana. Veronica Cale feels a bit too much as a distaff counterpart to Lex Luthor, and could probably be tweaked a bit to be made more interesting. Modern Cheetah is interesting as a sort of dark mirror of Wonder Woman and with a personal connection to Diana. And then you have Ares as a Big Bad to use at times. You can also look into using the other gods as antagonists at times (note: I don't see Hades as a good enemy, he's more of an obstacle in certain situations), or as problematic allies. Giganta is rather uninteresting, she mostly feels as muscle for the other enemies.

Incredible Member

I want DC to commit to rooting Diana to a sense of place other than Themyscira and to do something other than superhero-ing that the changing roster of writers must inhabit until it manages to take a life of it's own and becomes a touchstone of her identity.

Superman has this in Metropolis, The Daily Planet and, to an equally important but different degree, in Smallville.

Batman has this in Gotham, the Batcave & the Bat-family, and to equally important but different degree, in Arkham Asylum.

These places are accessible to other characters in the DCU. These places have taken on an iconic quality and are part of the heroes legacies

Diana has...Themyscira, which is definitely not easily accessible to the rest of the DCU. A few stabs have been made at that - Perez removing the mystic barrier, only for Loebs to immediately send the island to another dimension; Jimenez had it become an intergalactic conference center/library/refuge, which Rucka kicked to Earth, but then the Nu52 wiped that all away again. Sure, I love the island and the amazons, but Diana needs a sense of place in the outside world.

This isn't just a post-crisis problem. I'm reminded of the pre-crisis Sekowsy-Kanigher-Harris-Conway-Thomas years. Does she live in DC, or is she now in New York? Hey, let's move her to Houston! Nah, let's take her back to New York. NO - really, she belongs in DC! Gah.

But it's also a post-crisis problem. The most stability Diana's had was Perez, and she did stay in Boston with Loebs. Then Gateway City. Then New York. Then DC. Then London. Now Virginia Shoreline.

Of all these, I think the idea of Gateway City has the most potential. The architecture, feel, and culture can all be created. It can be seen as Wonder Woman's city. She can have touchstones in the community that she interacts with regularly. Other heroes can emerge from there. Heck, other heroes can visit her there, whereas now she's always the visitor.

I want Diana to have a home away from home, and I want the city itself to become a supporting character in her book.

Diana needs to fire Robinson and get a new writer on her book that
    will remove all the loafers and ingrates.

Mighty Member

1. Well-Defined Character: I wish Wonder Woman had more of a purpose. I never really get a sense of who Diana is in stories because it always seems as though she is transitioning into something. She doesn't have a day job or much of a life. She rarely ever really gives a reason for doing what she does either. It's as if she just stumbles onto problems to fix as opposed to having a mission or goal that she wants to do.

2. Villains: I would also like for her non- mythological/public domain villains to be more fleshed out and to have more power. As strong as Diana is most of them don't seem to be a match for her. I think only Veronica has been able to really make some noise in the last few years while villains like Cheetah and Silver Swan don't seem to be able to really hold there own.

3. World Building: I like the idea of Gateway City being her home away from home because itd be something familiar since she always seems to be on the go in her stories. I think giving her some space in the DC Universe besides random countries that never get mentioned again would help her out alot. Especially as a diplomat, she'd need some of the DC Universe that is specific to just her and her world.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

My ideal Wonder Woman book would feature a supporting cast of Steve, Etta, Donna, Cassie, and Hessia with Hipolyta, Artemist, and Nubia appearing from time to time. Nemesis would also guest-star occasionally(he and Diana having dated during a period when Diana and Steve broke things off). Regular antagonists would include Cheetah, Giganta, Dr. Poison, Veronica Cale, Dr. Cyber, Dr. Psycho, Queen Clea, Kung, Osira, Angle Man, Red Panzer, Baron Blitzkreig, Silver Swan, and Zara. Other villains would appear too but I'd like the aforementioned ones to be those that give Diana the most trouble. Diana would live in Gateway City(a suburb of Washington D.C.) and be a Civil Rights teacher at the Holiday Girls College.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    1. Well-Defined Character: I wish Wonder Woman had more of a purpose. I never really get a sense of who Diana is in stories because it always seems as though she is transitioning into something. She doesn't have a day job or much of a life. She rarely ever really gives a reason for doing what she does either. It's as if she just stumbles onto problems to fix as opposed to having a mission or goal that she wants to do.

2. Villains: I would also like for her non- mythological/public domain villains to be more fleshed out and to have more power. As strong as Diana is most of them don't seem to be a match for her. I think only Veronica has been able to really make some noise in the last few years while villains like Cheetah and Silver Swan don't seem to be able to really hold there own.

3. World Building: I like the idea of Gateway City being her home away from home because itd be something familiar since she always seems to be on the go in her stories. I think giving her some space in the DC Universe besides random countries that never get mentioned again would help her out alot. Especially as a diplomat, she'd need some of the DC Universe that is specific to just her and her world.
    I like that she is a hero because she wants to make a difference. She is not moved by tragedy or an accident to become a hero. She decided by herself, she is just who she is and doesn't care about getting other people's approval. That is one of the things that makes her appealing to me.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

Why try to rework Jason? If you need another male support character, why not bring back Kane Milohai. He's diverse and seems to be the only god in the DC universe that is good.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I have no idea on how marketable this is.

1. Make sure you get a smattering of "domestic" stories, ie stories that focus on Diana solving non-superhero issues and interacting with both superheroes and non-superheroes as a friend. That will give a stronger feel for her personality, her relations, and give the action-oriented stories greater emotional resonance. (I believe the Clark Kent persona greatly contributed to Superman's popularity and strength as a character.) Likewise, I think Diana should be shown making friends and emotional connections in any type of story. That's one of the main strengths of the film, though it is harder to do in comics form.

2. Diana's two main supporting characters should be Steve Trevor and Etta Candy: they're her Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen, or Alfred and Robin. Both should be developed as persons first, with interests, goals, and personalities that both are reasonably well-rounded but also contrasts with Diana.

3. Severely limit the supporting men other than Steve Trevor. Look at Jason: it appears the writers prefer to make him the focus on the stories. Likewise drop the Zeus connection as Diana's father: Perez's vision of Diana's origin with blessings from six Olympian gods was extremely well-thought-out and gives a clear understanding of Diana's powers. Right now Diana's origins gets diluted with extra characters and men around her of Amazon origin.

4. At the same time, limit Diana's interaction with the gods. I'm not against them turning up in her stories, but I think there have been a surfeit of what I call high-mythical stories, and they easily turn into deus ex machinas, which limit the agency given to Diana. She becomes their agent more than a hero.

6. When you turn to the Olympian gods, make sure they're not monolithic. Even when they are allies, they should likely quarrel and disagree with each other. Or put them in oppositition to each other, like an adventure where Diana has to solve or mediate a dispute where the gods are on opposite sides.

7. I like Circe and Dr Psycho as asymmetrical enemies to Diana. Veronica Cale feels a bit too much as a distaff counterpart to Lex Luthor, and could probably be tweaked a bit to be made more interesting. Modern Cheetah is interesting as a sort of dark mirror of Wonder Woman and with a personal connection to Diana. And then you have Ares as a Big Bad to use at times. You can also look into using the other gods as antagonists at times (note: I don't see Hades as a good enemy, he's more of an obstacle in certain situations), or as problematic allies. Giganta is rather uninteresting, she mostly feels as muscle for the other enemies.
    I get the reasoning for this, but doesn't this kind of show how limited Wonder Woman is in her companions. I understand that males are the majority in pretty much everything, but it's pretty rare for a male sidekick of a major female superhero occurs. There are a lot of people who were raised under a maternal viewpoint so it could be an interesting subject to tackle as many people could relate to it. Won't it seem weird if the males were segregated from being apart of her mythos.

Quote Originally Posted by Shockingjustice View Post
    I get the reasoning for this, but doesn't this kind of show how limited Wonder Woman is in her companions. I understand that males are the majority in pretty much everything, but it's pretty rare for a male sidekick of a major female superhero occurs. There are a lot of people who were raised under a maternal viewpoint so it could be an interesting subject to tackle as many people could relate to it. Won't it seem weird if the males were segregated from being apart of her mythos.
    Why would it be a limit? Steve Trevor, Hippolyta, Philippus, Artemis, Etta Candy, Helena and Cassie Sandsmark, Donna Troy, and Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis should be more than enough for a core cast.

I'm not against including men in her stories, but so many writers have shown that they are incapable of writing Wonder Woman stories that aren't about the men, that some line has to be drawn. A new Wonder Woman writer should not be allowed to write about the men around Diana until they have first shown that they can write the women around Diana.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Why would it be a limit? Steve Trevor, Hippolyta, Philippus, Artemis, Etta Candy, Helena and Cassie Sandsmark, Donna Troy, and Julia and Vanessa Kapatelis should be more than enough for a core cast.

I'm not against including men in her stories, but so many writers have shown that they are incapable of writing Wonder Woman stories that aren't about the men, that some line has to be drawn. A new Wonder Woman writer should not be allowed to write about the men around Diana until they have first shown that they can write the women around Diana.
    How about writers proving that they can write Diana first? The new run started with another,who is WW type of arc. With a WW that feels inexperienced and weak. So i have to ask. How much some of these writers like gww actually know about Diana. Since they need to start their runs with Diana doubting herself so easily, struggling with things a veteran that has experience with her powers shouldn't struggle with, even after spending years being a hero and fighting evil.