Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    Thanks for the responses folks. They are all very interesting and much appreciated.

I'll certainly stick with the series, I'm a bit stubborn that way. The only reservation that I have relates to 'The Lazarus Contract'. Is that worth investing in? Technically, it's the next story in the series but seems to be the point where things go south. Will I miss anything crucial if I just skip it?

I've been making an effort to reacquaint myself with an area of DC that I've neglected for some time now.
    Honestly, I wouldn't recommend forcing yourself to read it if you're not interested. You could just wait until June, when the title gets a new artist, new direction, and a roster shakeup. As evidenced by his Aquaman, Dan Abnett has shown that he can quickly turn a book around with the right artist and direction.

The book has seemed to meander a bit since the Deathstroke arc, but overall I still enjoy it, and I enjoy Paul Pelletier's art quite a bit. I'm just a fan of this first generation of grown up former sidekicks, and the book would have to be terrible for me to drop it. But it's pretty good, all things considered.

I actually thought the book was hitting its stride towards the middle. I didn't care for the reintroduction of Wally (I knew they had to do it, but that whole arc was a disaster), but when it was finally out of the way it was at least decent. It just got worse over time. It's clear when Abnett doesn't know what to do he just falls back on melodrama, but more and more of it kept seeping into the book, and with how "off" his characterizations have been for each member of the team (he only got Roy right, and like others have pointed it out, it's probably because he only really cares about him) it just felt like I was watching a trainwreck unfold.

I'm not too optimistic about the new direction, but at least it has some direction, so maybe Abnett will do better with a goal in mind.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I've been sticking with it solely for my Wally West fix, but honestly it is just plain boring.
    I find I have to pull out the previous month's issue to remind myself of the story.
    They're together for no reason.
    They say because they're family, but those ties are never shown. There's an assumption readers know these characters enough to go with the premise, but it proves a major hurdle that was never jumped.
    In the end, it makes no difference as the book is cancelled now.
    Save your money and find another title!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I've been sticking with it solely for my Wally West fix, but honestly it is just plain boring.
    I find I have to pull out the previous month's issue to remind myself of the story.
    They're together for no reason.
    They say because they're family, but those ties are never shown. There's an assumption readers know these characters enough to go with the premise, but it proves a major hurdle that was never jumped.
    In the end, it makes no difference as the book is cancelled now.
    Save your money and find another title!
    It's not cancelled, it's starting back up with the same numbering after the No Justice story, just with a purpose and a mostly different cast.

I've thought it was an ok book, not one of Abnett's finest moments by a long shot and some fairly plain art until Pelletier came on board. There are still some major holes in the characters that need to be fixed. I do wish that DC would have gotten a different writer to move the book forward though.

He need's to go his writing suck's and he doesn't know these characters.