Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Default Will a "Secret War" bring the Fantastic Four and Doctor Doom to the MCU?

Earlier this week in an interview with the French site Linternaute the Russo brothers were asked about the future of Marvel films. Joe Russo gave them this reply "IF that Fox deal goes through with Disney, there's a lot more characters to work with all of a sudden. It would be interesting to do something like Secret Wars". What remains to be seen is which Secret War(s) might that be? I doubt either would be given a completely faithful translation to film but it would be one way to get the FF cast into the films. I'm just excited that they're even thinking about bringing a Secret War (s) to the screen.

Extraordinary Member

I can see them doing something like with Hickman's Secret War. That was the best and I will defend it to the death.

Shou-Lao The Bitch Dragon Iron Fist's Avatar

Well they've established the multi-verse with dr strange, they could focus more on it in the sequel and use that to set up Secret Wars.

But a proper reality altering event would be better for getting mutants in rather than anything else. FF could organically surface and Dr Doom could be ruling an isolatist country like Wakanda.

Of course when I hear about Secret Wars my first thoughts are for the FF Doom and Galactus. And Owen too! And I have both versions in mind too!

I would like to see something like that on screen, and it's quite obvious that it could help merging the various Marvel movies universes. But to be done a bit well there should be before at least one good FF movie. They can introduce the FF directly in a SW movie - it could work - but Doom or Galactus (And Owen!) would need a little bit more of building...

Ok... I still have the fantasy to see them well-done on screen - Kirby style... I'm not against a Celestials movie either! Lol

(Fun to see a link to a French site btw!)
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Incredible Member

I've being wishing for 'secret war's for ages...... But need FF and xmen......

Maybe he's not actually talking about using Secret Wars as a way to introduce X-Men and/or FF, but rather than, after they're already there, it would be cool to do it, like they're doing Infinity War with Thanos right now.

It could be that the current MCU is the Ultimate Universe Of The comics, (after all, Nick Fury is African American in the movies), and the FF and X-Men are in the 616 like the comics. Doing a Secret Wars like Hickman could cross over characters from both MCU and the 616 and dump the FF/X-Men in the MCU?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    It could be that the current MCU is the Ultimate Universe Of The comics, (after all, Nick Fury is African American in the movies), and the FF and X-Men are in the 616 like the comics. Doing a Secret Wars like Hickman could cross over characters from both MCU and the 616 and dump the FF/X-Men in the MCU?
    I like this idea because it could explain a lot, like why we've seen no mutants in the MCU. Wanda and Pietro powers were the result of Baron Strucker's experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Maybe he's not actually talking about using Secret Wars as a way to introduce X-Men and/or FF, but rather than, after they're already there, it would be cool to do it, like they're doing Infinity War with Thanos right now.
    As much as I like this idea also, I would think Reed should at least should have made an appearance by now. But we can always go back to suggestions made by other posters like Reed's first venture into the Negative Zone goes awry and the FF has been stranded there for a while. A couple of things I thought they could do is use two other plots as the reason why they've not been seen.

Doom's Time Platform: We first see it in FF #5 and Doom sends the Fantastic Four back in time to find Blackbeard's treasure. Only in this version, Doom goes with them and leaves an assistant behind to monitor the device. It turns out this assistant is the treacherous Hauptmann that tried to maroon him back in time along with Iron Man in Iron Man #149

Liddleville: I've been an advocate that this story could be used as the intro for all 5 characters once again. In both cases, I want to get around yet another depiction of the Fantastic Four's origin. In Byrne's "Terror in a Tiny Town", each had nightmares about their origin. Their memories have been manipulated by Doom to believe tha Liddleville is the only life they've known. But Doom become trapped in Liddleville himself.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    Of course when I hear about Secret Wars my first thoughts are for the FF Doom and Galactus. And Owen too! And I have both versions in mind too!

I would like to see something like that on screen, and it's quite obvious that it could help merging the various Marvel movies universes. But to be done a bit well there should be before at least one good FF movie. They can introduce the FF directly in a SW movie - it could work - but Doom or Galactus (And Owen!) would need a little bit more of building...

Ok... I still have the fantasy to see them well-done on screen - Kirby style... I'm not against a Celestials movie either! Lol

(Fun to see a link to a French site btw!)
    Maybe you can translate if there's anything else worth reporting!

I think I would prefer Hickman's Secret War being used to some extent and I expect there will be comparisons like I've seen already to Game of Thrones.

There's also been some speculation that the next phase in Marvel Movies will involve Secret Invasion, which I'm not as fond of but it would be a means of introducing the Skulls, which if done right could be a scary kind of xenomorph like in Alien. The difference being that a Skrull would be able to assume the form of the person being used as their "incubator". Hickman did something similar early in his FF run only with the Negative Zone cult. Heck, maybe that Hickman Annihilation Wave story would make a good intro for the Fantastic Four.

I think Secret Wars is great because we knew the heroes first and introducing the FF and X-Men in it is the wrong way to go. I personally don't care that the FF aren't the first heroes in the MCU and they can easily be introduced at any time.

The reason that we haven't heard about Reed in MCU until his introduction could be because he hadn't done anything of note yet. He's brilliant, but on such a level that people can't conceive his ideas so he struggles to get funding for his experiments. That could play into the accident that gives the FF their powers, instead of trying to beat "the commies" it's more personal and about Reed rushing to prove himself with the first chance he got.

The one thing I hope never happens is them being from the 60s. It plays into the idea that the FF are old fashioned and don't work in the modern era, making them from the 60s only reinforces that misconception.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Nothing more to translate than what I saw in your post, Iron Maiden.

Crimz, I'm not that sure that 60s FF would mean that they're old fashioned if it's done really well. And it could be classy : reminding to all the theater viewers where Marvel comes from. I won't fight for that idea btw!
    - To Tammy and the Blue Rose !

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Crimz View Post
    The one thing I hope never happens is them being from the 60s. It plays into the idea that the FF are old fashioned and don't work in the modern era, making them from the 60s only reinforces that misconception.

Yeah, the FF are only the first superheroes in the Marvel universe in terms of them laying the groundwork for what Marvel is now but even in the 616 comics the Fantastic Four are not 'first' superheroes in-universe if one takes into consideration the Timely characters that got incorporated into the Marvel universe like Captain America and The original Human Torch, and of course Namor - all debuted decades before the FF existed.

So it really doesn't matter whether the FF come into existence after The Avengers or not as those characters are not. I get that people want the cinematic universe to mirror that of comics in which the FF are the foundation of the universe but it really doesn't have to be for the film-verse.

But its not like placing Steve Rogers in modern times and have him become Captain America after the Spider-Man and Avengers have existed(and changing the setting from WWII to Iraq). They can easily get away with making a modern day film.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 04-15-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

I could envisage the F4 being the lead up to this. A rebooted F4 are experimenting with multiversal travel. Their experiments go wrong and they end up in a parallel world. You could even do this as a modern twist on family. One of the F4 is conducting the experiments because he/she lost their family and it is rebuilt by multiversal travel. A little like Spider-Men II.

So grief driven Sue and a single surviving child Franklin are trying to come to terms with how a freak occurance robbed them of two family members. They go on a multiversal adventure as a form of therapy but end up with a family. Doom is a villain that controls one world and hatches a plan to conquer the multiverse in a sequel and his plans go awry destroying the multiverse hence Secret Wars. Along the way all manner of movie tie-ins are shown.

I'm not a fan of MCU, so I'd rather wait for...MCU MK.2 for them to show up.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

I want a take on 1984's Secret Wars to happen but honestly I think it's the kind of thing which needs to be saved for a end of phase event once both the X-Men and FF are established and allow them to finally team up with the Avengers and Guardians (whatever state they're in by then). But for the FF themselves, have time travel be the bring in. Adult Franklin and Valeria in the present running the Future Foundation and apparently the only ones aware that their parents the Fantastic Four and Doom were a thing in the 60's. FF including kid Franklin and Valeria arrive in the present along with Doom, who retakes his old nation Latveria and becomes the new big bad for the MCU, with him forming a masterplan which leads into Galactus, Silver Surfer and Battleworld.