Page 67 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1757636465666768697071 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,005 of 1120

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    OK, we now have some more box office results for Aquaman. Now, you may not have heard this, but Aquaman has surpassed a billion dollars at the global box office.

Other news:
    - We have China Actuals as of Jan 13: It stands at $293,094,544. Aquaman will undoubtedly cross the $300 million mark in China and will probably do it before Friday. It appears that Venom has ended its 2-month exhibition window as of last weekend Jan 6, so Venom's China total ends at $272,243,405.

- The biggest superhero movie in China was Avengers: Infinity War, which ended at $359,543,153. I don't know if Aquaman has another $60 million of juice left in the China box office, but just the fact that Aquaman and Avengers can be mentioned in the same breath in that country is pretty amazing.

- Aquaman has surpassed the unadjusted domestic gross of the first DCEU movie, Man of Steel. MOS ended its domestic run with $291,045,518 after 98 days & Aquaman has $291,638,247 after 26 days (Tues, Jan 15). When adjusted to today's average ticket price, MOS's domestic rises to $311,261,700. Aquaman should have no trouble topping this as well. I'm thinking, given that Aquaman should also remain in theaters for 98 days, that over the next 70+ days, it should have no trouble exceeding the domestic takes of both Suicide Squad ($325mm) and Batman v Superman ($330mm). Aquaman would need $338 million to top their adjusted domestic hauls.

- I can't see Aquaman getting any higher than $350 domestic, so Wonder Woman's record of about $420 million domestic should remain comfortably intact.
    What Wonder Woman record?

Edit. Oh nvm as the highest DCEU domestic total. Duh my bad

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    WB wasn't happy with the film's performance.
    Ya because they probably thought it was gonna do a billion and over spent on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    That's unfortunate. It's so true to the original and such a good movie, not the kind of movie we usually talk about much here or go crazy over but a very good movie in my opinion.
    Ya that's one more they over spent on 230+ million is silly for that kinda movie it's ok tho it will probably do really good on DVD/blueray/strming.

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    Ya that's one more they over spent on 230+ million is silly for that kinda movie it's ok tho it will probably do really good on DVD/blueray/strming.
    When you think about it, they toned down a lot of the effects so it would seem compatible with the original movie. The animation scenes were great at seamlessly making real people interact with animation (something the original movie couldn't do because the effects didn't exist to do it seamlessly) but they toned down the animation to resemble what it was back in 1964. And the scenes of Mary flying were likewise kept at a basic level as to not be a hugely obvious difference from the original movie which, amazingly, did some decent scenes of people flying.

But they could have just slightly beefed up the special effects from the original movie and it still would have worked, partly because the main audience is children and people taking children to see it and because, with the nature of the movie, you don't need hundred million dollar special effects for it to work.
    Power with Girl is better.

Retired

Haven't seen MARY POPPINS RETURNS yet. Does Emily Blunt sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in it? That's all I want to know. To me, MARY POPPINS is that song, that saved my blooming life and made me fall in love with words. I had the 45 (still do) and learned to sing the entire song. Because I was afraid to speak when I was just a lad, my father gave my nose a tweak and told me I was bad, but then one day I learned the word that saved my aching nose, the biggest word you ever heard, and this is how it goes. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, even though the sound of it may seem something quite atrocious, if you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

According to an article on CBR's front page, James Wan had Zach Snyder consult with him to remove Joss Whedon's influence on the Aquaman character:

https://www.cbr.com/aquaman-wan-snyd...ustice-league/

http://fireandwaterpodcast.com/podcast/fire-water-223/

Man of Steel and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice director Zack Snyder may have had a larger role in Aquaman than initially believed.

Actor Neil Daly, who oversaw test screenings for Justice League and James Wan's Aquaman, claimed in a recent podcast episode of Fire and Water that Snyder had a role in helping Wan distance Jason Momoa's portrayal of the character from his earlier appearance in Justice League under Joss Whedon's direction.

"We could have gotten a whole movie about Aquaman basically fawning over Mera the whole time and making all kinds of dirty jokes and things like that and they really had to get away from that, which is all what Whedon had done, so Snyder had a little bit of an influence on Aquaman," Daly explained. "James Wan was showing Zack Snyder - against the studio's wishes - cuts of the movie and early test screenings and storyboards to make sure that they're on the same page with what he originally wanted and Snyder gave his blessing of approval, bringing it back to what he wanted all along."

Snyder, who served as executive producer on Aquaman, cast Momoa for his DC Extended Universe debut in 2016's Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice. Later, the filmmaker cast Amber Heard as Mera and Willem Dafoe as Vulko to appear in Justice League before leaving the production to deal with a family tragedy. Snyder was replaced by Whedon, who extensively rewrote and reshot the film and cut Dafoe's appearance entirely.

I know that Zach Snyder is not a favorite of a lot of fans to say the least, and even though I really liked Snyder's 2 DCEU movies, I can understand why. However, Joss Whedon was so awful on Justice League (his Batman was particularly atrocious) that I'm glad that James Wan saw the need not to follow up on Whedon's take on Arthur.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 01-17-2019 at 04:36 PM.

I didnt see Arthur of having much of a character in Justice League anyway. He was a Bro and he was still a bro in Aquaman. The yelling and jumping on batmobile that personality still there. Outside of the loner surfer bro vibe he didnt have any character to fix.

John campia was talking about aquamans box office and said only less then a quarter of it's box office was in America! It was almost all overseas! Isn't that crazy! Almost all of it's billion box office was overseas! Not the first time this has been like this but it shows the power of china and the world box office. If shazam catches on worldwide dc could have another huge hit on their hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I didnt see Arthur of having much of a character in Justice League anyway. He was a Bro and he was still a bro in Aquaman. The yelling and jumping on batmobile that personality still there. Outside of the loner surfer bro vibe he didnt have any character to fix.
    Same. I don't see much difference.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Same. I don't see much difference.
    They changed it enough that I liked him this time.

It's the brave and the bold aquaman merged with the 90s jla aquaman more or less. I liked him in jl so I was fine with him here.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Haven't seen MARY POPPINS RETURNS yet. Does Emily Blunt sing "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" in it? That's all I want to know. To me, MARY POPPINS is that song, that saved my blooming life and made me fall in love with words. I had the 45 (still do) and learned to sing the entire song. Because I was afraid to speak when I was just a lad, my father gave my nose a tweak and told me I was bad, but then one day I learned the word that saved my aching nose, the biggest word you ever heard, and this is how it goes. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious, even though the sound of it may seem something quite atrocious, if you say it loud enough you'll always sound precocious. Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.
    To answer your question: No. They don't repeat any of the songs from the original. However (and I'm no expert), I am told by a friend of mine that every song in the new one is a parallel to a song from the original.

I bought a copy of the original for my best friend's little girl, who just turned nine, and one for myself. She didn't watch it before I took her to see "Mary Poppins Returns" but as soon as she got home, she immediately watched the original. The fact that one was made in 1964 and the other in 2018 was irrelevant. She just took them as two parts of the same story.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    John campia was talking about aquamans box office and said only less then a quarter of it's box office was in America! It was almost all overseas! Isn't that crazy! Almost all of it's billion box office was overseas! Not the first time this has been like this but it shows the power of china and the world box office. If shazam catches on worldwide dc could have another huge hit on their hands.
    That's pretty much how it is with most comic book movies and action movies these days. Yes Aquaman made 71% overseas. But Avengers: Age of Ultron and Avengers: Infinity War made 67% overseas. Venom made 75% overseas.
    Ant-Man and the Wasp 65%. Thor: Ragnarok 65%. Spider-Man Homecoming 62%. The only recent exceptions are Black Panther and Wonder Woman where is was around 50-50. Campea is a DC hater so he tends to find ways to
    dump on DC as much as possible. So even when DC succeeds he tries to find ways to make it look like they didn't do that good.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

28.3% doesn’t equal less than 1/4.
    Sure, it’s not much more than 1/4, but that is false reporting.

Foreign markets are becoming larger players, especially China. This is a fact the entire industry has known for at least the last few years (most likely longer than that).

Astonishing Member

The BO share for the studios from China is only 25%. That's much less than what they get in the USA where it's 50% or more. So the USA is still the preeminent market by virtue of that fact.