Page 71 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172737475 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 1120

So the Oscar noms officially came out today.

I think I remember that Wan knew they were getting snubbed on the technical awards in advance, but still ... those were some stellar F/X, man ...

surprised Aquaman got snubbed on special effects but it wasn't going to get anything else
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    So the Oscar noms officially came out today.

I think I remember that Wan knew they were getting snubbed on the technical awards in advance, but still ... those were some stellar F/X, man ...
    If people voted instead of insiders I might say maybe people dont understand how much of technical achievement making those underwater scenes was. I mean the CGI animals and people ranged from eh to Good. The fact there were so much CGI and it wasnt awful is a achievement but the underwater scene iono if people really understand how hard that must have been. I mean the the hair must have been CGI and would be a huge thing to pull off convincingly. Cant wait to watch some behind the scene stuff to see exactly how they did everything.

Iono Maybe its cause the movie came out late in the year or maybe people got hung up on Morrisons plastic face CGI or some of the lesser animals iono. Doesnt make sense cause Black Panther had spots of bad CGI too and got a nom in the category. But you would think people in the business would understand what an achievement pulling off those underwater scene would.

All that said Thanks to whoever Dinsey had work on Thanos I feel confident Infinity wars gonna win regardless if aquaman got the nom or not(Though they did use animatronics for Thanos at parts aswell so not completely CGI). People who dont really think to deep into it are probaly more impressed with A better photorealistic character then the enormous amount if work that had to go into doing those underwater scenes.

And while I think Black Panther should win regardless I feel like Aquaman shoulda got a costume design Nomination aswell. We got comic accurate Aquaman characters and I loved it. Even the Atlantian soliders looked cool.

Also Wan is the Horror and fast and furious guy while someone like Ryan Coogler is a Oscar sweetheart so I'm sure Black Panther got some extra love because the Oscar crowds loves Coogler. Who knows but as a Black Panther fan boy I will say it's not fair BP got a Visual effect nom but Aquaman didnt. It's a disservice to the people who worked on Aquaman.

Retired

Wan knew about it last month, because before they make the final nomination list there's a longer list of films submitted to the Academy for consideration and they narrow down that list to just those nominated. AQUAMAN wasn't on the long list, so it was already impossible for it to get a nomination.

Coming out late in the year doesn't matter, since a lot of Oscar potential movies come out late in the year just to qualify. And there's some movies that were nominated that haven't had a wide release yet--they've only appeared in a few theatres, enough to qualify as a 2018 release.

I suppose that if I were a professional who worked on rendering computer images all day for motion pictures, then I could see little flaws in the imaging for different movies. But I'm not--and I don't want to be that analytical. If the effect does the job then that's good enough for me.

I would hope that AQUAMAN might get some trophies at the Academy's Science and Techincal Awards. It looks to me like they were doing a lot of new things that had never been done before in movies on that scale, so they should get some credit for inventing those techniques.

But SUPERMAN the Donner movie got cheated out of a lot of awards. Geoffrey Unsworth didn't even get nominated for his cinematography which is a crime. But at least it got a Special Achievement Award. They invented a lot of technology for that movie and should have gotten more recognition in the craft awards.

So what are the reachable milestones left for AQUAMAN financially? The movie's been out in the States for a month now, displaying great "legs" in terms of earning power.

Think it can crack $340.0M domestic?

Where do you see it's final worldwide take landing on? How much past $1.0B?

Still haven't seen Aquaman yet. I'm planning to go this coming weekend though.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

So what are the reachable milestones left for AQUAMAN financially? The movie's been out in the States for a month now, displaying great "legs" in terms of earning power.

Think it can crack $340.0M domestic?

Where do you see it's final worldwide take landing on? How much past $1.0B?

I think Aquaman has reached so many milestones at this point, that there are only a couple left.

In addition to being the number 1 DCEU movie worldwide, Aquaman is also the highest grossing Warner Bros. movie in China in its history.

Aquaman is also Warner Bros. highest grossing 2018 domestic release. Even if we just count the money Aquaman actually made in 2018, it's still the number 2 Warners 2018 film after A Star Is Born even though Aquaman was only in release for 10 days in 2018.

The two miletones I can think of that are still reachable are:

(1) As of today, Jan 23, Aquaman has made $1,068,253,910 worldwide. Warners highest grossing CBM WW is Dark Knight Rises at $1,084,939,099. This means that Aquaman only needs about $17 million to be number one. This will definitely happen -- maybe by next Sunday.

(2) Wonder Woman's domestic DCEU record of $412 million will not be touched, but Aquaman's other reachable milestone is that he can be the number 2 DCEU domestic release. Right now, number 2 is BvS at $330 million. Aquaman's domestic is now $307,853,910. So, Aquaman only needs $23 million to match it in terms of unadjusted grosses. Aquaman would need about $338 million to match it when grosses are adjusted to today's average ticket price, but I think Aquaman can still do this.

Aquaman will likely be in theaters at least 98 days, and right now it's only been in theaters 33 days (to Jan 22). With 68 more days to go, I think Aquaman can pull in at least another $30 million. I'm thinking it could end somewhere between $340-350 million domestic.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    I think Aquaman has reached so many milestones at this point, that there are only a couple left.

In addition to being the number 1 DCEU movie worldwide, Aquaman is also the highest grossing Warner Bros. movie in China in its history.

Aquaman is also Warner Bros. highest grossing 2018 domestic release. Even if we just count the money Aquaman actually made in 2018, it's still the number 2 Warners 2018 film after A Star Is Born even though Aquaman was only in release for 10 days in 2018.

The two miletones I can think of that are still reachable are:

(1) As of today, Jan 23, Aquaman has made $1,068,253,910 worldwide. Warners highest grossing CBM WW is Dark Knight Rises at $1,084,939,099. This means that Aquaman only needs about $17 million to be number one. This will definitely happen -- maybe by next Sunday.

(2) Wonder Woman's domestic DCEU record of $412 million will not be touched, but Aquaman's other reachable milestone is that he can be the number 2 DCEU domestic release. Right now, number 2 is BvS at $330 million. Aquaman's domestic is now $307,853,910. So, Aquaman only needs $23 million to match it in terms of unadjusted grosses. Aquaman would need about $338 million to match it when grosses are adjusted to today's average ticket price, but I think Aquaman can still do this.

Aquaman will likely be in theaters at least 98 days, and right now it's only been in theaters 33 days (to Jan 22). With 68 more days to go, I think Aquaman can pull in at least another $30 million. I'm thinking it could end somewhere between $340-350 million domestic.
    Wow, great info!

Just curious, if you had to make an educated guess, how much money would AQUAMAN have to make worldwide to equal THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, after adjusting for inflation?

Wow, great info!

Just curious, if you had to make an educated guess, how much money would AQUAMAN have to make worldwide to equal THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, after adjusting for inflation?
    Well, adjusting worldwide is not as easy as adjusting for domestic because each country's ticket prices increase at a different rate. Also, there would be exchange rate considerations. We typically use Box Office Mojo for box office data, and they don't have any mechanism to adjust international box office results, only domestic. So, we may never know what DKR's worldwide would be adjusted to 2019.

What I can say is that it kind of doesn't matter because Aquaman's international take is significantly higher than DKR ($760 million vs. $637 million), and even adjusted, Aquaman is still likely higher. It's the domestic take that Dark Knight Rises was far superior to Aquaman's. DKR topped out at $448 million (adjusts to about $520 million), and Aquaman can't catch that.

In fact, even adjusting domestic is something that needs to be watched closely because average ticket price for a year can change within a year. For example, my number for BvS's adjusted domestic has already changed since I looked at it last week.

Average ticket price for 2019 has been revised upwards by Mojo to $9.03 as of now, which makes BvS's $330 million now worth $345 million rather than the $338 million in my previous post.

So, now Aquaman really does have to get close to $350 million to surpass BvS when adjusted. However, the good news is that most news outlets won't report that. As soon as Aquaman crosses $330 million, they'll report that it has surpassed BvS. Only some may put the "unadjusted" qualifier in.

Also for worldwide, consider that Aquaman hasn't even opened in Japan and some other countries yet. That will add another $20 to $50 million worldwide.

Retired

Even though they get a larger percentage of the domestic box office, I think doing well in China means more to WB right now, because cracking that market is where the future lies. So to do so well in China and to be allowed to play so long in those theatres opens the doors for other Warner movies. They already know how to do a big box office domestic movie, but the prognosticators will be studying the example of AQUAMAN for years to come when they try to divine what movies will perform best in the Middle Kingdom.

Aquaman has officially become the top box office DC movie worldwide ever with a $1.090 billion box office, topping The Dark Knight Rises at $1.085 billion.

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Aquaman has officially become the top box office DC movie worldwide ever with a $1.090 billion box office, topping The Dark Knight Rises at $1.085 billion.
    Opens in Japan in a couple weeks as well, likely for another $10-$20 million (Japan isn't big about CBMs in general).

Aquaman and Wan deserve the success.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Batman is just never, ever going to live this down.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.