Page 68 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1858646566676869707172 ... LastLast
Results 1,006 to 1,020 of 1120

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    28.3% doesn’t equal less than 1/4.
    Sure, it’s not much more than 1/4, but that is false reporting.

Foreign markets are becoming larger players, especially China. This is a fact the entire industry has known for at least the last few years (most likely longer than that).
    I kind of suspect Avengers: End Game will be closer to 28.3% than to the 33.1% that Avengers: Infinity War got. If we want to knock Aquaman for making less domestic than foreign.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    The BO share for the studios from China is only 25%. That's much less than what they get in the USA where it's 50% or more. So the USA is still the preeminent market by virtue of that fact.
    This is the real issue. But Aquaman did really well In America too so dont matter much here. But yea like a transformers movie where it's making all its money in China is a problem. Because you have take into account what you just said. I didnt know it was 25% but I knew it was low

Retired

If you look at the box office for most big special effects action movies (since China has come into the picture), usually the international box office is twice the domestic box office. AQUAMAN isn't a special case and any critic that makes this argument is fidddling.

I remember when WONDER WOMAN was in theatres and it didn't follow this pattern, being about half and half, and the pundits were saying that was unusual--as if there was something wrong with WW because it happened to perform better domestic than international.

It doesn't take Bernie the Brain to figure out what's going on. By simple logic, you might believe most movies should have a bigger international box office than domestic because the USA has less than 5% of the world's population. But the truth is all American English language films perform better in the USA than outside of it, per capita. It's just that some are able to increase their foreign appeal and some aren't. That doesn't reflect badly on any of the movies.

Astonishing Member

Some countries are probably a bit biased having a female lead in an action movie as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    That's pretty much how it is with most comic book movies and action movies these days. Yes Aquaman made 71% overseas. But Avengers: Age of Ultron and Avengers: Infinity War made 67% overseas. Venom made 75% overseas.
    Ant-Man and the Wasp 65%. Thor: Ragnarok 65%. Spider-Man Homecoming 62%. The only recent exceptions are Black Panther and Wonder Woman where is was around 50-50. Campea is a DC hater so he tends to find ways to
    dump on DC as much as possible. So even when DC succeeds he tries to find ways to make it look like they didn't do that good.
    Um, what? He loves Man of Steel and likes both BvS and Justice League. He's a big DC fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Some countries are probably a bit biased having a female lead in an action movie as well.
    For sure or a black person. black Panther is one of the biggest domestic movie of all time and only made 100m in China. The posters for the movie In China left his mask on while the non China ones showed Bosemans face. I remember a critic review from China that made national new because it said BP was "Too Black"

Saw the film a little over a week ago and it was a perfectly fun blockbuster romp. Cool visuals, very cool action and not much in the way of dialogue or a story. Very basic introduction. I would like to have seen more personal development of the characters considering the run-time of the film (like Orm) but hopefully we can get a more personal story with the Atlanteans in the sequel. Momoa and the rest of the cast did well with their roles as all seemed to have fun with it.

I thought it may have been a nice touch to show the Atlanteans physiology/biology as a bit more unique. Sort of like in Throne of Atlantis where the JL points out the underwater attackers had gills on their necks. Unless I missed that they did.

One interesting comparison with Wonder Woman is that Diana appears to be vulnerable to bullets whereas Arthur's skin is bulletproof (though they can still "move" him backwards). Sort of strange considering they're comparable in power (with Diana being more powerful) yet Diana is more vulnerable.

I feel like the Kingdom of the Trench sequence (from boat to whirlpool thingie that would led to the secret realm) was among the most intense and frightening sequences in all of comic book movies ever.

James Wan's horror background shone through here.

I really hope that the inevitable sequel explores them much more, like maybe that they can actually be "cured", and/or that modern Atlanteans like Mera can still devolve into one of them under the exact wrong circumstances.

Maybe Black Manta can use the Trench somehow in the sequel.

The way I've always understood it, Arthur's muscles are so densely packed a bullet could potentially pierce the skin but nothing else. In other words his MUSCLES are bullet proof, while his skin which covers his muscles, while highly durable, is not. This means he'll FEEL the bullet from a gunshot, and it'll hurt. So gunfire won't kill him but it could slow him down or potentially knock him out (i.e. the trauma/pain of feeling every bullet from a shower of machine gun fire) so he either avoids bullets altogether or uses a makeshift shield like in the sub scene.

Diana on the other hand seems to be specifically vulnerable to piercing weapons but blunt weapons barely stall her. Unlike Arthur bullets can actually KILL Diana, but unlike Diana Arthur's tolerance for blunt force trauma is lower. Ex: how well do you think Arthur would have fared if it was him and Superman in that head-butting "contest" in Justice League instead of Diana?

The only thing I'm unsure about is even if someone successfully shoots Diana (as in she didn't block the bullet), doesn't she have a healing factor? Not Hulk level regeneration healing factor but if treated in time she should be able to fully recover in days. Unless I missed a scene/exposition in the movies that contradicts this. Here we were shown on screen Arthur does not have a healing factor and in fact needed healing aids from Mera after his fight with Manta. I think he still heals faster than a normal human but still not superhumanly fast like [probably] Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    The way I've always understood it, Arthur's muscles are so densely packed a bullet could potentially pierce the skin but nothing else. In other words his MUSCLES are bullet proof, while his skin which covers his muscles, while highly durable, is not. This means he'll FEEL the bullet from a gunshot, and it'll hurt. So gunfire won't kill him but it could slow him down or potentially knock him out (i.e. the trauma/pain of feeling every bullet from a shower of machine gun fire) so he either avoids bullets altogether or uses a makeshift shield like in the sub scene.

Diana on the other hand seems to be specifically vulnerable to piercing weapons but blunt weapons barely stall her. Unlike Arthur bullets can actually KILL Diana, but unlike Diana Arthur's tolerance for blunt force trauma is lower. Ex: how well do you think Arthur would have fared if it was him and Superman in that head-butting "contest" in Justice League instead of Diana?

The only thing I'm unsure about is even if someone successfully shoots Diana (as in she didn't block the bullet), doesn't she have a healing factor? Not Hulk level regeneration healing factor but if treated in time she should be able to fully recover in days. Unless I missed a scene/exposition in the movies that contradicts this. Here we were shown on screen Arthur does not have a healing factor and in fact needed healing aids from Mera after his fight with Manta. I think he still heals faster than a normal human but still not superhumanly fast like [probably] Wonder Woman.
    I don't know about the movie version of Wonder Woman. But in the TV version of Wonder Woman she intentionally took a bullet to the shoulder and feigned injury, but after that in private with Wonder Girl she just laughed it off that it didn't hurt her.

Retired

It's because Arthur has to endure the tons of underwater pressure. If his body can withstand that, then he should be able to take severe blows to the body.

One thing I learned recently is that sea creatures get the bends just like people. If they are brought up from depth too rapidly, the nitrogen bubbles in their blood expand too quickly and give them decompression sickness, ultimately resulting in death. I heard this on the news in relation to catch and release fishing. Sea life brought up to the surface are not safe if released immediatly back into the sea.

Extraordinary Member Divine Spark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    For sure or a black person. black Panther is one of the biggest domestic movie of all time and only made 100m in China. The posters for the movie In China left his mask on while the non China ones showed Bosemans face. I remember a critic review from China that made national new because it said BP was "Too Black"
    Which is weird because that posted showed his eyes to where you can tell he was black.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Which is weird because that posted showed his eyes to where you can tell he was black.
    I think that they knew they need to alter the marketing but they also diidnt want to be seen as pandering to racism. So maybe took minor steps. Or maybe they thought people would think its makeup around the eyes like batman

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's because Arthur has to endure the tons of underwater pressure. If his body can withstand that, then he should be able to take severe blows to the body.

One thing I learned recently is that sea creatures get the bends just like people. If they are brought up from depth too rapidly, the nitrogen bubbles in their blood expand too quickly and give them decompression sickness, ultimately resulting in death. I heard this on the news in relation to catch and release fishing. Sea life brought up to the surface are not safe if released immediatly back into the sea.
    Oh yah, I used to deep sea fish for cod. If you brought them up from the bottom they were pretty much dead. Not pretty.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    Um, what? He loves Man of Steel and likes both BvS and Justice League. He's a big DC fan.
    Not from any videos by Campea that I have watched. He craps all over the CW shows. Especially Supergirl and their Superman. He did a huge rant against the Elseworlds crossover and Superman.
    And he was predicting Aquaman would fail. Until it didn't.