Page 14 of 75 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617182464 ... LastLast

I think when all is said and done, Aquaman will turn out to be a good solid movie.

The take on those who saw it that the movie is "good, not great" is not a bad thing. Unfortunately, when people hear "good, not great," somehow in their minds "good" gets interpreted as "average" or "meh," but in actuality good is good and should leave people feeling optimistic.

The reality is that this is probably the most we could have hoped for because the fact is that Aquaman himself is a "good, not great" comics character. He's not the joke that people who only know him from Superfriends make him out to be, but he's never been Superman/Batman/Spider-Man in terms of story quality or importance either.

The other comments I posted above about the movie being "funnier, brighter, more colorful and more adventurous" than Wonder Woman is also good to hear.

If the movie does Ant-Man/Wasp business (over $200 million domestic), I'm sure Warners will look at this as a success and a validation of their new direction.

I don't care what other random people thought about the movie they watched... I'm excited based on the trailer and James Wan's reputation as a filmmaker. This looks like an adventure with heart, romance, epic action, and cool and inventive visuals we haven't seen in live action before. I'll make up my mind when I watch it myself like I usually do.

John says the early reactions are not true due to papers they have to sign and the story is fake.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    John says the early reactions are not true due to papers they have to sign and the story is fake.
    I hope it's true, but John isn't known for fact-based commentary - he says what he feels, which is ok - but NDAs have rarely silenced people from commenting anonymously. Indeed, it tends to embolden many people to share secret and privileged information.

Mary poppins new trailer is getting really good buzz. Trouble for aquaman?

Last edited by Gaastra; 09-18-2018 at 06:28 PM.

Retired

I wasn't that much into the POPPINS trailer until near the end when they showed Dick Van Dyke--then I got verklempt. But I don't know if younger people would have the same reaction. I still plan on seeing AQUAMAN as soon as it appears on screen--but I may have to make time for MARY POPPINS RETURNS.

However, as much as I loved MARY POPPINS back in the day, it doesn't really hold up. I have affection for it because it had so much meaning for me as a kid, but its tricks don't work on me now. And this movie doesn't seem like it's going to be that effective, either. But I want to see Dick Van Dyke and Angela Lansbury.

BANNED

Mary poppins new trailer is getting really good buzz. Trouble for aquaman?

Mary Poppins has been trouble for Assistance for months. Big mistake not moving the release date. Disney is showing complete confidence in MP, and WB is showing no confidence at all in AM. Basically throwing him under the bus.
    Last edited by AJBopp; 09-18-2018 at 07:11 PM.

Mary poppins trailer 3rd highest trending on youtube beating out captain marvel!

Mary poppins trailer 3rd highest trending on youtube beating out captain marvel!
    In all honesty between Mary Poppins and Bumblebee with its G1 designs are my top two films for that weekend I'm going to see Aquaman week 2 of release.

Retired

It's too risky with DC movies to wait even a day. Chances are audience reactions and spoilers will be impossible to avoid--and the reactions for and against every DC moive are so strong, it's hard to filter that out when watching a movie. That's why I have to see AQUAMAN asap. With DC movies, either I see them on opening day or I end up watching them months/years later on video (if ever).

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It's too risky with DC movies to wait even a day. Chances are audience reactions and spoilers will be impossible to avoid--and the reactions for and against every DC moive are so strong, it's hard to filter that out when watching a movie. That's why I have to see AQUAMAN asap. With DC movies, either I see them on opening day or I end up watching them months/years later on video (if ever).
    My thing is I've been waiting to see this on screen for 30 years http://news.tfw2005.com/wp-content/u...railer-068.jpg

And as the kids would say Dick Van Dyke in that Mary Poppins trailer hit me in the feels.
    Last edited by Jokerz79; 09-19-2018 at 06:53 PM.

Incredible Member

I honestly feel like Shazam is getting more attention instead of this movie. And that kinda rubs me the wrong way because WB very well could have waited on this trailer so all the attention was about aquaman. Don’t get me wrong the Shazam trailer was incredible but it seems in my opinion DC is more focused on Shazam and their new slate and are like “oh yea we had this movie that was too far into production to cancel when JL under performed.”

Retired

I find it hard to believe that James Wan isn't getting support from Walter Hamada. Hamada developed the horror slate at New Line, including THE CONJURING movies, and James Wan was important to that franchise. Of course, David F. Sandberg was another director in the Conjuringverse (ANNABELLE: CREATION). And the horror movies are an example of WB doing things right. So I don't see Hamada abandoing an important director like Wan--who he needs to keep happy.

However, there's a lot more money on the line with AQUAMAN than SHAZAM! because of all the special effects needed. That makes it a harder movie to promote--because they can't show scenes before they're ready. That's a mistake DC has made in the past--teasing a movie when the effects weren't finished. SHAZAM! is an easier movie to push, because the concept doesn't depend as much on CGI to sell it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Mary Poppins has been trouble for Assistance for months. Big mistake not moving the release date. Disney is showing complete confidence in MP, and WB is showing no confidence at all in AM. Basically throwing him under the bus.
    Jason Momoa just can't catch a break.

I think the most important thing is that Aquaman is a really good and entertaining movie. That will give it legs hopefully. Unless audiences lost faith in DC movies.

We really need another trailer soon. I guess it's not ready yet due to all the cgi work.