Page 31 of 75 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast
    (Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    Spider-Verse is doing okay at the BO. Mortal Engines is DOA. Aquaman should clean up since the competition is pretty underwhelming. Is there any buzz at all on Holmes and Watson?
    I really enjoyed Aquaman but if there is one film that does deserve to blow it out of the water *if you excuse the pun) at the BO, it's Into the Spider-verse, which is just a whole other class of film.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    The thing is that critics judge films in context and Marvel has become the context against which superhero films are judged. They judge MCU movies accordingly and they judge DC and Marvel licensed movies accordingly. There is no agenda.
    Except your ignorant as to who is being selected to be a member of RT critic list. For the best 10 years they've expanded the roster to include less credentialed reviewers who operate blogs and youtube channels, who've made careers reviewing films overwhelmingly belonging to the 'nerd' sub culture. These people made their careers rising the MCU's popularity surge, so it makes sense that they would continue to like MCU films and dislike competing brands. (Also as a side note, your statement has been used to justify discrimination for years)

Before, I've made the anology comparing RT to video game scores and how their is a perception that only 8s, 9s, or 10s matter, but it is actually worse than that. At least I know I will probably like an 8/10 video game. I cannot use RT as a barometre because not only do crappy Marvel movies score high (really all of them, but GotG2, Civil War, Dr. Strange, Thor 3 are the prime examples), but we've seen we've seen the divisive Star Wars sequels score high and its really clear, after Wreck it Ralph 2 and Incredibles 2, the system is not a good metric for animated films either.

The truth is yes, RT critcs and really modern film reviewers in general, are exceptionally poor at their craft and shouldn't be headed too. They tend to overemphasis things like plot, character and 'having a fun time', have little understanding of scene composition, editing and themes. I don't really care to hear these peoples opinion on movies no more than I would a white supremacist's opinions on minorities.

Now before you type, 'Then why do you care! XXXXD' there is reason why so many fans of the DCEU are sensitive to RT scores and that is because for 5 years now we've been smacked with DCEU haters citing RT as the definitive proof that the DCEU should reboot or should die. If you think you think critics thrashing a bad pilot for a tv show is in any means the equivalent of what we've experience...yeah, no. And the truth is, these people are overwhelmingly MCU fans and yes, DC fans who like the MCU are still MCU fans. I don't have to remind people this, but apparently I do. It is rare, that someone offers a criticism of the DCEU that isn't shilling the MCU at the same time, either directly or indirectly.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

<Grumble Grumble>

How in the HELL are all of you seeing Aquaman so early?

Were you able to participate in that Amazon Prime promotion?

</Grumble Grumble>

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    <Grumble Grumble>

</Grumble Grumble>
    It's in cinemas in the UK
    Pull List: Daredevil, Radiant Black, Rogue Sun, No One, Time Before Time

“We never lose our demons. We only learn to live above them"

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Except your ignorant as to who is being selected to be a member of RT critic list. For the best 10 years they've expanded the roster to include less credentialed reviewers who operate blogs and youtube channels, who've made careers reviewing films overwhelmingly belonging to the 'nerd' sub culture. These people made their careers rising the MCU's popularity surge, so it makes sense that they would continue to like MCU films and dislike competing brands. (Also as a side note, your statement has been used to justify discrimination for years)

Before, I've made the anology comparing RT to video game scores and how their is a perception that only 8s, 9s, or 10s matter, but it is actually worse than that. At least I know I will probably like an 8/10 video game. I cannot use RT as a barometre because not only do crappy Marvel movies score high (really all of them, but GotG2, Civil War, Dr. Strange, Thor 3 are the prime examples), but we've seen we've seen the divisive Star Wars sequels score high and its really clear, after Wreck it Ralph 2 and Incredibles 2, the system is not a good metric for animated films either.

The truth is yes, RT critcs and really modern film reviewers in general, are exceptionally poor at their craft and shouldn't be headed too. They tend to overemphasis things like plot, character and 'having a fun time', have little understanding of scene composition, editing and themes. I don't really care to hear these peoples opinion on movies no more than I would a white supremacist's opinions on minorities.

Now before you type, 'Then why do you care! XXXXD' there is reason why so many fans of the DCEU are sensitive to RT scores and that is because for 5 years now we've been smacked with DCEU haters citing RT as the definitive proof that the DCEU should reboot or should die. If you think you think critics thrashing a bad pilot for a tv show is in any means the equivalent of what we've experience...yeah, no. And the truth is, these people are overwhelmingly MCU fans and yes, DC fans who like the MCU are still MCU fans. I don't have to remind people this, but apparently I do. It is rare, that someone offers a criticism of the DCEU that isn't shilling the MCU at the same time, either directly or indirectly.
    Oh, I'm certainly not defending Rotten Tomatoes. Even as an aggragator site, it's much worse than Metacritic. I'm talking about actual, remotely reliable critics.

And if you think that any of what you just said applies to any actual critics, I can only imagine you haven't read many of them because as I said, unile fanboys like you and I, they genuinely don't give the slightest crap about comic book tribalism. Most of them don't even know which one's which until the actual film begins.

<Grumble Grumble>

</Grumble Grumble>
    Being a movie reviewer has its benefits...
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Ultimate Member

These movies (with the exception of JL) have been critic proof. MoS, WW and Suicide Squad cleaned up at the box office. Even BvS made over $800 million WW.

I dony know why folks are bothered with reviews. Its clear most people dont care.

<Grumble Grumble>

</Grumble Grumble>
    The studio did a gamble and decide to release the movie over seas first. China were one of the first to see it and the movie luck out since they had no big competition overseas. I think North America are one of the last few to see
    Last edited by Flashback; 12-15-2018 at 04:13 PM.

<Grumble Grumble>

</Grumble Grumble>
    connections

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    These movies (with the exception of JL) have been critic proof. MoS, WW and Suicide Squad cleaned up at the box office. Even BvS made over $800 million WW.

I dony know why folks are bothered with reviews. Its clear most people dont care.
    BvS was profitable but on the margins it was not as successful as the others you mentioned since they were projecting it to be much higher

I hope Aquaman does well. I think it will even if it doesn't score with audiences.

I'm not too worried about Bumblebee, but a lot of people seem really into it and the trailers have looked good. Still Michael Bay has worn me out with Transformers so I'm not really hyped for the 7th Transformers film.

A little concerned about the Spider-Man splash. Critics love it and the film is surprisingly really good. It's going to get several award nominations. If Aquaman could have avoided that by two weeks it would have been ideal, but it is what it is. This time of year is murderous row for films. Hope Aquaman does well overseas, really interested to see how it performs
    The J-man

Aquaman is off to a good start worldwide. Has made $179 million so far. Could be huge overseas. Almost seems like what Aquaman makes in the USA is just going to be gravy.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies...dcfilm0617.htm

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    A little concerned about the Spider-Man splash. Critics love it and the film is surprisingly really good. It's going to get several award nominations. If Aquaman could have avoided that by two weeks it would have been ideal, but it is what it is. This time of year is murderous row for films. Hope Aquaman does well overseas, really interested to see how it performs
    For all the hype and great reviews it won't even break 40M opening weekend. It might have long legs but I don't think Aquaman has anything to worry from the Spiderverse. This Christmas might shape up to be one of the lowest grosses in recent years. Quite underwhelming. I think Aquaman and Bumblebee are the last 'blockbusters' for 2018.

For all the hype and great reviews it won't even break 40M opening weekend. It might have long legs but I don't think Aquaman has anything to worry from the Spiderverse. This Christmas might shape up to be one of the lowest grosses in recent years. Quite underwhelming. I think Aquaman and Bumblebee are the last 'blockbusters' for 2018.
    Plus Mortal Engines is bombing so no competition there.

I would predict that Aquaman and Mary Poppins Returns will be the last two blockbusters of the year with Aquaman emerging as number 1. At first (several pages back in this thread), I was iffy about Aquaman being able to sink all the competition, but now I am much more confident.

I think Bumblebee will do ok, but not great. I'd be surprised if it takes more than $200 million domestically.

By the time these movies end their theatrical runs, I think the rankings for scifi/fantasy films released in December will be:

1st: Aquaman
    2nd: Mary Poppins Returns
    3rd: Bumblebee
    4th: Into the Spider-Verse
    5th: Once Upon a Deadpool
    6th: Mortal Engines

Saw it and I loved it. Visually beautiful and just fun from beginning to end.

It's really impressive how James Wan pivots the camera.

Momoa was made for Aquaman
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    It's really impressive how James Wan pivots the camera.

Momoa was made for Aquaman
    Yes some of the shots were just beautiful. Dudes got an eye for this.