Page 69 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1959656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1120

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Not from any videos by Campea that I have watched. He craps all over the CW shows. Especially Supergirl and their Superman. He did a huge rant against the Elseworlds crossover and Superman.
    And he was predicting Aquaman would fail. Until it didn't.
    Here's John Campea's show from November 29, 2018. He says both will do well and predicts Aquaman will open bigger than Poppins. Then, he starts being wrong and saying that he thinks that over the long run, Mary Poppins will surpass Aquaman's domestic gross. He said he was stoked to see Aquaman (& Poppins), but felt this holiday season was so competitive that it would hurt Aquaman.

Now that we're weeks out of the holiday, I think all we've seen is how Spider-Verse has hurt Bumblebee, and to a lesser extent, Poppins. Both Bumblebee and Poppins dropped out of the top 5 movies going into weekend 4, while Spider-Verse has just finished its 6th weekend still in the top 5. Spider-Verse is only about 500k behind Poppins, so it will soon pull ahead and stay there domestically. Worldwide, Bumblebee will win among the 3 films because of its better international grosses.

So, here's Campea's show where he talks about the showdown between Aquaman and Mary Poppins Returns.
    It begins around the 28 minute mark.

As of today, Sunday Jan 20, Aquaman has made an estimated $304,336,848 domestically. It should reach $307+ million by end-MLK day.

Aquaman should have no trouble reaching $330 million to match Batman v Superman, still the number 2 DCEU film domestically. If Aquaman can reach $338 million, it will top BvS even when ticket prices are adjusted to today's average.

Regarding the comparison I've been doing to Jumanji, as predicted in my post from last week, Jumanji has indeed pulled ahead of Aquaman in domestic box office if we're looking at their performances after weekend 4.

After 31 days in release:
    Aquaman:$304,336,848 (estimated)
    Jumanji: $301,801,284

After weekend 4:
    Aquaman:$304,336,848 (31 days, estimated)
    Jumanji: $316,450,318 (33 days)

Jumanji will continue to pull ahead even further as its weekend-to-weekend drops continue to be quite small.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 01-20-2019 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Here's John Campea's show from November 29, 2018. He says both will do well and predicts Aquaman will open bigger than Poppins. Then, he starts being wrong and saying that he thinks that over the long run, Mary Poppins will surpass Aquaman's domestic gross. He said he was stoked to see Aquaman (& Poppins), but felt this holiday season was so competitive that it would hurt Aquaman.
    This pretty much sums up the videos from Campea I have seen.

Not from any videos by Campea that I have watched. He craps all over the CW shows. Especially Supergirl and their Superman. He did a huge rant against the Elseworlds crossover and Superman.
    And he was predicting Aquaman would fail. Until it didn't.
    So because he's not a fanboy, he must be a hater. You know he also predicted that Justice League will make $1 Bn. easily, no question. But he was wrong.

The Vincent Price laughter really makes the video. Only Paul Lynde's laugh could have made it any better.

Did you create the video?

The Vincent Price laughter really makes the video. Only Paul Lynde's laugh could have made it any better.

Did you create the video?
    No, just happened to see it. Kind of weird it showed up just when we were talking about Campea. Like somehow YouTube knows what kind of videos we are interested in.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    So because he's not a fanboy, he must be a hater. You know he also predicted that Justice League will make $1 Bn. easily, no question. But he was wrong.
    Exactly. He didn't even say AM would fail.

And anyone that's retroactively trying to say they believed that Aquaman would get to anywhere near a billion let alone make more than it is just being disingenuous.

No one thought the movie would make this much, even WB would be surprised at how successful it was.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    He also predicted Black Panther has no business getting any serious awards, talk of Best Picture at the Oscars. When he said that fanboys in the MCU camp were hating him forgetting he said the same thing with Wonder Woman. Some only like Campea when he says what they want to hear.

People underestimated DC after a few bumps. A DC movie can get a lower RT score than Thor 2 and still earn more than your average MCU movie with no love from the media or uncredible critics. This is just the beginning for DC. Things will explode when The Joker is out.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    He also predicted Black Panther has no business getting any serious awards, talk of Best Picture at the Oscars. When he said that fanboys in the MCU camp were hating him forgetting he said the same thing with Wonder Woman. Some only like Campea when he says what they want to hear.

People underestimated DC after a few bumps. A DC movie can get a lower RT score than Thor 2 and still earn more than your average MCU movie with no love from the media or uncredible critics. This is just the beginning for DC. Things will explode when The Joker is out.
    Huh? DCs movies have always made money. Critical acclaim or not.

The social media generation is just trying to validate what they like or love by sighting box office or RT.

If you love DCs films then go for it, same with Marvel, same with Fox and Sony. Expecting critics to love what we love and to criticize them when we don't is infantile.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Exactly. He didn't even say AM would fail.

And anyone that's retroactively trying to say they believed that Aquaman would get to anywhere near a billion let alone make more than it is just being disingenuous.

No one thought the movie would make this much, even WB would be surprised at how successful it was.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the DCEU, and I thought my initial domestic prediction for Aquaman of $250 million maximum was being greatly optimistic. I was just hoping it would be well received and do better than Justice League so that it would start the ball rolling on the DCEU image rehabilitation. Now we're at the point where Aquaman is the benchmark against which all future DCEU movies will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeramas View Post
    I think that even though the Shazam movie won't do as well as Aquaman due to its placement between Captain Marvel and the Avengers, it will do well enough and be received well enough to continue the positive vibe that the DCEU is currently experiencing.

However, if the Joker film turns out great and really takes the public by storm, it will totally rewrite the rules for CBMs going forward. I expect, and want, the Joker movie to be a twisted, dark, R-rated piece that, while it might not make a billion dollars at the box office, will be successful enough that it will show Warners that they can produce smaller budget films with their characters that take a big risk with their storytelling and attain a beloved cult status among fans.

Ultimate Member

Yeah, I'm a fan of the DCEU, and I thought my initial domestic prediction for Aquaman of $250 million maximum was being greatly optimistic. I was just hoping it would be well received and do better than Justice League so that it would start the ball rolling on the DCEU image rehabilitation. Now we're at the point where Aquaman is the benchmark against which all future DCEU movies will be measured.

I think that even though the Shazam movie won't do as well as Aquaman due to its placement between Captain Marvel and the Avengers, it will do well enough and be received well enough to continue the positive vibe that the DCEU is currently experiencing.

However, if the Joker film turns out great and really takes the public by storm, it will totally rewrite the rules for CBMs going forward. I expect, and want, the Joker movie to be a twisted, dark, R-rated piece that, while it might not make a billion dollars at the box office, will be successful enough that it will show Warners that they can produce smaller budget films with their characters that take a big risk with their storytelling and attain a beloved cult status among fans.
    Funny enough, I think Shazam is going to be a very big hit.

DCs movies have all made money. Even the divisive ones like BvS and MoS.

The only major disappointment was JL and it still did $600 million+.

Retired

SHAZAM! seems like good counter-programming. People will be tired of all this seriousness about the Marvel movies and might want something that's not so weighted down by its own importance.

Astonishing Member

DC movies without Snyder is going to blow things up. A different Visionary from the beginning and everyone is talking positive about the DCEU. Still want a shared universe. Too bad Snyder screwed the pooch by giving BVS and Warner rushing the **** out of everything at the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    DC movies without Snyder is going to blow things up. A different Visionary from the beginning and everyone is talking positive about the DCEU. Still want a shared universe. Too bad Snyder screwed the pooch by giving BVS and Warner rushing the **** out of everything at the beginning.
    I don't get all the love for Snyder. I thought he did a terrible job with Superman. And Batman didn't fare much better. Myself I am glad he is gone. I think Geoff Johns got the short end of the stick.
    Aquaman was his baby and look how will it did. WB acted too soon by replacing Geoff Johns. Plus a shared DC universe is a stupid idea. The characters are too different so they have to nerf some
    way down and make other too OP just to make each of them relevant. Look how much Supergirl gets nerfed down in the CW crossovers so Green Arrow has something to do. For the DC movies
    WB is better off going with solo movies so each character gets a chance to shine.

Retired

I don't see WB parting ways with a shared DC universe in the near future. Mainly because it will take years for the separation to happen, if it ever does. AQUAMAN is connected to the post-Nolan DC movies, so is SHAZAM! so will be WONDER WOMAN 1984. The only movie that probably isn't is JOKER, but that's clearly being marketed as an out-of-the-box movie.

I suppose BIRDS OF PREY could test the waters for splitting off from any previous continuity--but I doubt that would happen and we're probably meant to think the Harley Quinn in BOP is the same one as in SUICIDE SQUAD. Will they not be so obvious about the connections--for sure, that's already the situation with the first WONDER WOMAN and AQUAMAN.

The movies always have some wiggle room with their continuity and how closely they want to stick with elements in the rest of the franchise--but that's completely different from the movies having no connection at all with each other.

So if there is a new world of DC movies that is completely divorced from any in the current world of movies, it can't happen until 2021 at the earliest. Maybe the Matt Reeves Batman movies will establish a new continuity for Bruce Wayne. And yet there's probably going to be an AQUAMAN 2 plus more Wonder Woman and Harley movies. So I sincerely doubt that they will be able to entirely shelve this continuity, even if they wanted to.