Page 28 of 75 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

https://www.cbr.com/aquaman-review-round-up/ Aquaman: Early Reviews Call Film a Goofy, Fun Spectacle
    by Sam Stone

Sigh.Sounds like an MCU movie. Is DCU now copying the MCU? goofy, fun spectacles. I am still keeping my hands crossed DC can get back to reviews of X-Men movies and their Dark Knight trilogy. I would have to wait until The Joker is out.

I don't mind goofy. As long as it's not Thor level of goofiness.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    I don't mind goofy. As long as it's not Thor level of goofiness.
    If you mean the last Thor film, I don't see it as that goofy. The first two Avengers films pops to mind in goofiness for Aquaman. still, this is a downward spiral for CBMs.

So most of the reviews say it's dumb as dirt but super fun. Turn your brain off and enjoy is the tone. So it's a 90s Jackie chan film. Go to have cheesy fun but don't think about the plot.

By the way I love 90s jackie chan films. Going to see a cheesy film on the big screen with a group can be lots of fun so the reviews have me with lots of hope for aquaman.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 12-12-2018 at 10:02 AM.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marvelgirl View Post
    https://www.cbr.com/aquaman-review-round-up/ Aquaman: Early Reviews Call Film a Goofy, Fun Spectacle
    by Sam Stone

Sigh.Sounds like an MCU movie. Is DCU now copying the MCU? goofy, fun spectacles. I am still keeping my hands crossed DC can get back to reviews of X-Men movies and their Dark Knight trilogy. I would have to wait until The Joker is out.
    It's nothing like an MCU movie. The humour is a lot more subtle and not in your face and comes mostly from interactions and jokes aren't repeated 1000 times. Nothing like how JL was (where it was obvious they were trying to copy Marvel).

Fun? Yes. Spectacle? Absolutely. Dumb/goofy? I personally didn't see it.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

I mean, some people claim the MCU is mostly dumb and goofy Superhero films so ...

BANNED

It just feels like critics are either

A. Aware of the backlash they got for roasting Venom which contributed to it being a box office behemoth and have changed their tone considerably to say a movie like this is good even if they feel personally that it's poorly structured and lacks substance

B. They're trying to apply MCU hype-speak to the film because that's the only way they feel comfortable praising a DC movie.

Them saying it's goofy fun is not a bad thing. Some great films are goofy fun. Fun films does not mean bad films at all. I think they are saying it's a over the top superhero film. Nothing wrong with that as people like it and are giving it good reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    It's nothing like an MCU movie. The humour is a lot more subtle and not in your face and comes mostly from interactions and jokes aren't repeated 1000 times. Nothing like how JL was (where it was obvious they were trying to copy Marvel).

Fun? Yes. Spectacle? Absolutely. Dumb/goofy? I personally didn't see it.
    It sounds like you've already seen it. From other actual people, not critics, who have seen it, they all seem to like it.

I've also seen that the actual people seem to have to defend the movie against the critics who call it "goofy" and "dumb." And there are a bunch of those.

It seems like pretty much everyone, people and critics alike, did like the movie, but the people liked it more unapologetically than the critics, who feel the need to show their movie snob cred, did.

I guess right now DC Films wants to show the audience that they are re-toning their universe with Aquaman and Shazam. I'm ok with this as long as it fits the character. I'm still looking for the darker Batman, Suicide Squad, and Joker movies. I like the variety we get with DC Films.

It seems like DC Films have had better success with their solo films Wonder Woman, Aquaman, even Man of Steel, than they've had with their group films like BvS, SS, and JL. I notice that the group films had the most behind-the-scenes studio interference -- particularly SS and JL -- and it showed.

This was my 400th post.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 12-12-2018 at 02:47 PM.

This was my 400th post

Congratulations.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Congratulations.
    Thanks. For my 500th, I'm going to make it double-sized with a foil cover.

Only Ten Dollars!

What no 3-D cover with 20 versions?

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    What no 3-D cover with 20 versions?
    Gotta save that for 1000

BANNED

Here comes the "Critics suck at their jobs" posts...

with a side of

"I don't like this or that critic"

With a sprinkle of

MCU films have jokes so they suck

With a dash of

X-men films were "SERIOUS" films

With a little bit of

"You don't understand the film"

Lol.

Damn just enjoy the movie or not geezuz.

Venom was REMARKABLY stupid, But I'm gonna buy it on DVD because it was fun to watch.