Page 11 of 75 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Oh man, poor DC just can't catch a break.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

This looks great. Adventure, political intrigue, stunning locales, and humor. I'm in!

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Part Thor, Part Black Panther it seems.

But it looks like it will be an OK film to me.

BANNED

OMG movie looks so good...unlike anything I've seen on screen before

I am so so so hyped. I've been following Jason Momoa since he was Ronon Dex on Stargate Atlantis. So happy for him that he has this role and is now in the best superhero movie ever made (most likely)

Quote Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
    OMG movie looks so good...unlike anything I've seen on screen before

I am so so so hyped. I've been following Jason Momoa since he was Ronon Dex on Stargate Atlantis. So happy for him that he has this role and is now in the best superhero movie ever made (most likely)
    You do sound pretty hyped lol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Not a fair comparison. The characters are both warrior kings from fantastical kingdoms same as Namor and Black Bolt any movie done right is gonna have similarities. In no way makes it a RIP off
    I think when the whole movie is seen it will not seem like a ripoff, but the way the trailer was put together it's surprising anyone could look at it and not see Black Panther beat for beat

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I think when the whole movie is seen it will not seem like a ripoff, but the way the trailer was put together it's surprising anyone could look at it and not see Black Panther beat for beat
    For me it was just the scene when you dive into the water and they reveal Atlantis. The rest only seemed similar in that that characters have parallel ideas stemming from the comics. I'm not DCEU supporter by any means but I dont think its fair for ppl to call this a BP rip off.

I will say Jason Mamoa seem to be having more fun playing q superhero then anyone I've ever seen. His enthusiasm leaks through in every scene to me. Dude just looks like hes having fun even when hes beijg serious.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 07-23-2018 at 03:39 PM.

I didn't, but I guess I know the material enough to where it just didn't jump out at me .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I didn't, but I guess I know the material enough to where it just didn't jump out at me .
    Like mostof the audience for this trailer, I don't know source material for Aquaman at all. Nor Black Panther. So the parallels may not work to Aquaman's advantage overall.

Like mostof the audience for this trailer, I don't know source material for Aquaman at all. Nor Black Panther. So the parallels may not work to Aquaman's advantage overall.
    I think most of that is going to die away if the movie starts building up a lot of positive reception/promotion, but I also don't really see that many similarities to Black Panther beyond surface level stuff.

Retired

I think that James Wan will not mind the comparisons. He seems to enjoy all the meming. It gets people talking about the movie. Probably a lot of people didn't even know there was going to be an AQUAMAN movie--so if it's trending, now they know.

I just think SDCC builds up interest in seeing the movie now. And people don't have a long attention span. There needs to be a different kind of trailer a month before the movie to get people to go see it instead of POPPINS.

I watched the BLACK PANTHER trailer to see how it's like the AQUAMAN trailer--and it only seemed like that for the first twenty seconds, after that it's its own thing. So I don't think Black Panther has to worry about Aquaman.

However, if people liked BP so much, why would they not want to see a similar adventure? The very fact that it's underwater completely changes the context and the visuals. So you now have a very different experience. Or do people split into two groups--those that like the original Star Wars trilogy and those that like the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the twain shall never meet?

Anyway, the AQUAMAN trailer is edited in such a way that it appears different pieces of the movie are being juxtaposed to make it fall in a certain order--when it really doesn't. Which is something that a lot of the DC trailers do. Also I find Amber Heard and Jason Mamoa are kind of flat in their delivery of certain lines that narrate the trailer. It would have been better to feature Vulko in the trailer, as Willem Defoe always has such a great delivery. And the Vulko character is in a position to know all the different storylines.

No one has an excuse for not knowing the basic details about Aquaman and Black Panther. The internet is your friend.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    No one has an excuse for not knowing the basic details about Aquaman and Black Panther. The internet is your friend.
    Most of the general audience relies on the movie for delivering the basic details of the movie's subject without having to do research first. And, for that matter, I would think the movie creators would prefer to avoid the "...but it's not MY Superman!" syndrome.

I do think that the success of Black Panther and the similarities to it are likely to help Aquaman. Indeed, I rather suspect the trailer was edited the way it was specifically to highlight similarities that may not actually exist in any significant fashion in the film. The impression one comes away with is Arthur as Ragnarok-Thor's personality and comedy, and T'Challa's dramatic throne-ascension storyline. I suspect neither will end up actually being the case, but it's helpful for a struggling franchise, perhaps, to give the potential audience the impression that that's what they're going to get from this movie.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

I personally think the next trailer should be Manta centric.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor-of-Dragons View Post
    I personally think the next trailer should be Manta centric.
    I'd like that but Wan said hes just a secondary villian and is being set up for future movies. This is the Orms movie. So iono how much footage they can show of Black manta without spoiling all his scenes

If there's anything we should expect from the next trailer, it's probably the reveal of the classic costume.