Page 23 of 75 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373 ... LastLast

Has it succeeded yet? Because it sold some early tickets doesn't mean its going to be any good.

Batman V Superman had huge pre ticket sales also and you see how that went. However the reviews have been better for aquaman then bvs.

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Yes, Warners has lots of money. However, I don't think fast tracking everything before Aquaman has even opened is the way to go. Again, Aquaman looks good, but there is a limit to how well the movie will do because Aquaman as a character is not all that exceptional and doesn't have the same subtext that a Black Panther or Wonder Woman did. Those two movies catered to specific audiences that were hungry to see the best representation of themselves. That doesn't exist for Aquaman.
    I disagree, Jason Momoa was born in Hawaii. He's going to represent Polynesians. That's special and diverse.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

WB should wait until the actual numbers are in for Aquaman before fast tracking anything. I'd rather not have a repeat of the Justice league situation if things don't go their way.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    Has it succeeded yet? Because it sold some early tickets doesn't mean its going to be any good.
    Hasn't all the DCEU films been financial hits except ironically enough the Justice League and that was mainly because of the huge budget. After the success of Venom it seems almost any superhero movie from Marvel/DC will make big box office unless they are absolute crap like the last FF movie. It's critics reviews where the DCEU films have issues but outside of JL none of the other films have suffered any ill effects from it. Suicide Squad is the absolute worst of the DCEU films but still made big box office and is getting a sequel. I wouldn't worry about Aquaman being a financial success. I can see from the trailers alone it will have all the special effects and action it needs to draw big box office.

----------------------------------------------Box office gross-----U.S. and Canada-----Worldwide--------Budget

Man of Steel------------------------------------------------------- $291,045,518--------$668,045,518----$225 million
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice----------------------------$330,360,194--------$873,634,919----$250 million
    Suicide Squad------------------------------------------------------$325,100,054--------$746,846,894----$175 million
    Wonder Woman----------------------------------------------------$412,563,408--------$821,847,012----$149 million
    Justice League----------------------------------------------------- $229,024,295--------$658,924,295----$300 million
    Last edited by mburns; 11-22-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mburns View Post
    Hasn't all the DCEU films been financial hits except ironically enough the Justice League and that was mainly because of the huge budget.
    A lot of anti-DC polemicists seem to think that every DC film has been a flop except for Wonder Woman.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I disagree, Jason Momoa was born in Hawaii. He's going to represent Polynesians. That's special and diverse.
    Except they made the atlantian white and his human dad is Polynesian. There no polynesian culture in the movie. If just the actor being half poly matters then the rock has been headlining movies for years.i love how Aquaman looks but woulda been cooler if the atlantian side was poly. Woulda been more in line with Black Panther and WW if they did it that way

BANNED

Hasn't all the DCEU films been financial hits except ironically enough the Justice League and that was mainly because of the huge budget.
    Seems like they should be considered financial hits. But on the other hand these were clearly movies meant to establish a franchise and they've failed to do that, so there's something about them that gives the studio pause in trying to continue with another Superman or Batman film.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Seems like they should be considered financial hits. But on the other hand these were clearly movies meant to establish a franchise and they've failed to do that, so there's something about them that gives the studio pause in trying to continue with another Superman or Batman film.
    But they did. I don't know how anyone can argue otherwise. Beyond straight sequels of properties (Wonder Woman 2, Suicide Squad 2) you got BvS leading to the Wonder Woman film and JL leading to the Aquaman film.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Except they made the atlantian white and his human dad is Polynesian. There no polynesian culture in the movie.
    You said his dad is Polynesian. Arthur is brown and looks Polynesian. I guess we have to wait to watch the movie to see if there is any culture shown in it.

Extraordinary Member

Hasn't all the DCEU films been financial hits except ironically enough the Justice League and that was mainly because of the huge budget. After the success of Venom it seems almost any superhero movie from Marvel/DC will make big box office unless they are absolute crap like the last FF movie. It's critics reviews where the DCEU films have issues but outside of JL none of the other films have suffered any ill effects from it. Suicide Squad is the absolute worst of the DCEU films but still made big box office and is getting a sequel. I wouldn't worry about Aquaman being a financial success. I can see from the trailers alone it will have all the special effects and action it needs to draw big box office.

----------------------------------------------Box office gross-----U.S. and Canada-----Worldwide--------Budget

Man of Steel------------------------------------------------------- $291,045,518--------$668,045,518----$225 million
    Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice----------------------------$330,360,194--------$873,634,919----$250 million
    Suicide Squad------------------------------------------------------$325,100,054--------$746,846,894----$175 million
    Wonder Woman----------------------------------------------------$412,563,408--------$821,847,012----$149 million
    Justice League----------------------------------------------------- $229,024,295--------$658,924,295----$300 million
    The big problem though is Mary Poppins,Bumble Bee,Deadpool and Miles Morales. Not sure Aqua man can stand up to that kind of competition.

I'm not questioning if the movie will make money and be financially successful (it will), but will it be any good? The DCEU movies have been a dumpster fire so far with the exception of WW and I thought it was only decent at best. I'm just hoping Aquaman wont be the usual garbage they release.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
    I'm not questioning if the movie will make money and be financially successful (it will), but will it be any good? The DCEU movies have been a dumpster fire so far with the exception of WW and I thought it was only decent at best. I'm just hoping Aquaman wont be the usual garbage they release.
    I think it's at greater risk of being financially successful than being good, at this point. But I have to say I'm more optimistic for both than I was a month ago.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    The big problem though is Mary Poppins,Bumble Bee,Deadpool and Miles Morales. Not sure Aqua man can stand up to that kind of competition.
    Mary Poppins will be the biggest hit of the holiday season but it targets a different demographic. The Deadpool re-release is not going to do big numbers. Everyone who wants to has probably seen it already. Bumblebee is tracking to open at only $20 million and Miles Morales at $30 million. Neither will much off a problem. Bay's last 2 Transformers movies killed the franchise.

BANNED

Mary Poppins will be the biggest hit of the holiday season but it targets a different demographic. The Deadpool re-release is not going to do big numbers. Everyone who wants to has probably seen it already. Bumblebee is tracking to open at only $20 million and Miles Morales at $30 million. Neither will much off a problem. Bay's last 2 Transformers movies killed the franchise.
    It's hard to imagine that Spiderverse in particular is competition to anything.

Mary Poppins is the broadest demographic and impacts everything.

The problem is that box office results are often the subject of a lot of spin.

For example, the article that says that Aquaman is outpacing Venom sounds good and is encouraging, but Venom only had an $80 million opening weekend. So, if Aquaman does the same or a little better, it will still be the lowest DCEU opening.

So, what will the spin be when the movie actually opens? For critics who want to see the DCEU do well, they might just point out that Aquaman exceeded Venom, the most recent comics movie. For critics who want to continue to dogpile on the DCEU, they will gleefully point out that Aquaman did even worse than the failure of Justice League. Both statements will be true, but the takeaway of the general public will be different and can affect box office one way or the other.

As for Mary Poppins, I've said before in this thread that Poppins should outperform all others because it's a Disney holiday film. However, I do think they play to different demographics. I don't see groups of teenagers going to see Mary Poppins -- especially the 15-to-25 year old males that typically drive action film box office.

As for me, I will definitely see Aquaman at the theater on opening weekend, and I think that the footage we've seen of both Mera and Atlanna seem kickass enough to appeal to the female critics who want to see strong female role models. That might help Aquaman get broader support than other comics movies.

I have to say that I'm very interested in just how well this movie will be received and perform at the box office. It could either be a turning point for the DCEU or another nail in the coffin. I guess it's appropriate that the Aquaman movie is a watershed moment for DC Films.