Page 52 of 75 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast

Memo to those who speculate Aquaman is doing this well because "it has no competition": Remember, it was only weeks ago that bloggers were saying Mary Poppins Returns was going to crush it like a grape and Aquaman would be lucky to have an OW gross comparable to the first Thor. The exact opposite has happened.

There's also another film from a long-running franchise out.

Let's just conclude the best movie won.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Memo to those who speculate Aquaman is doing this well because "it has no competition": Remember, it was only weeks ago that bloggers were saying Mary Poppins Returns was going to crush it like a grape and Aquaman would be lucky to have an OW gross comparable to the first Thor. The exact opposite has happened.

Mary Poppins wasn't it's only competition. It had to contend with Bumblebee and Spider-Man was released the week before.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Mary Poppins wasn't it's only competition. It had to contend with Bumblebee and Spider-Man was released the week before.
    Yeah I think that's what he meant by "There's also another film from a long-running franchise out."

What I said. And yes, also Into the Spiderverse.

Aquaman's kicked some serious octo-rear, and it doesn't look like it's slowing down yet.

BANNED

I've literally heard no one say it has no competition. I am surprised it did this well, though I've thought since the 5 minute clip released in the summer that it looked to be much better than previous DC films. I thought it should not try to go head to head with Mary Poppins, which under performed my expectations. I also thought Spiderverse was a non-factor to any movie. Was probably right on the first count (had Aquaman moved up a week, Mary Poppins might have been in danger of flopping and Aquaman might be $50-75 million ahead of where it is now in the US). I was certainly wrong on the second count. I don't know what the appeal of Spiderverse is, but it's certainly been a factor.

Now maybe Warners/DC Animation will greenlight some Aquaman animated OVAs.

It was warranted that fans complained about the lack of non-Super/Bat movies from DC in the past, but the same holds true for their animated offerings.

We're FINALLY getting a Wonder Woman OVA in 2019, and I would guess that would have to do with the success of the movie.

Hopefully, we'll get an Aquaman OVA on the slate. Given the world that James Wan (and, yes, the comics) have shown us, I would like Warners to go the extra mile and budget any Aquaman OVA they do as a CGI feature.

Even DC's traditionally animated features are miles better looking than the flash animated looking junk that's been coming out in the last few years, but I do think that the Atlantean kingdoms are such a part of Aquaman's story that they need the more full realization that CGI provides.

Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    I've literally heard no one say it has no competition. I am surprised it did this well, though I've thought since the 5 minute clip released in the summer that it looked to be much better than previous DC films. I thought it should not try to go head to head with Mary Poppins, which under performed my expectations. I also thought Spiderverse was a non-factor to any movie. Was probably right on the first count (had Aquaman moved up a week, Mary Poppins might have been in danger of flopping and Aquaman might be $50-75 million ahead of where it is now in the US). I was certainly wrong on the second count. I don't know what the appeal of Spiderverse is, but it's certainly been a factor.
    Have u seen it. Its one if the better animated movies of the past decade and it's about spiderman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Have u seen it. Its one if the better animated movies of the past decade and it's about spiderman.
    I have not seen it. A lot of people like it, but I've seen nothing about it that interests me personally.

I have not seen it. A lot of people like it, but I've seen nothing about it that interests me personally.
    I felt the same way but my son wanted to see it. So we went and wow. That Animation looks amazing wait all its layers and embraces the Comicbook look like no other. Iono just a touching story and Homage to Spiderman. Plus a Stan Lee Scene that deals with the death of a character and just seems so poignant now. Anyway I wrote it off a long time agao but it's easily one of my top 5 favorite movies of the year

Mighty Member

[QUOTE=Jim Kelly;4107209]Why do people now say it's no surprise that AQUAMAN is doing so well at the box office, when only a few weeks ago there were prophecies of doom? Surely if a movie is predicted to fail and then it succeeds that's a surprise.[/QUOTE

I wasn't one of those people.
    After I saw the photos and the trailers, I believed that it was going to be a great movie and be a box office success.
    I was so excited about watching it that I bought my tickets a month before the movie was released here in USA.
    I love the movie, and I thought it was the best DCEU movie made and one of the best superhero movies made.
    Last edited by Starrius; 01-01-2019 at 03:59 AM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

It's worth checking out. It's not the mind-blowing film that some have made it out to be, but it's a solid film which pays homage to the Spidey comics in various ways. One of the most positive aspects of the film is how they surprisingly gave a level of characterization on the parallel-earth Spidey characters when some of them didn't have much screen-time.

I will say, if you do watch it, don't be discouraged by the first 10 minutes or so of the film. It seems like an average film in the very beginning, so much so that I was thinking to myself, "I should've watched Once Upon a Deadpool, instead." ......But it turned out to be a very good animated film, and I plan to buy it on blu-ray.

As for the animation, I don't watch too many animated films/series, but I've never seen anything like what they did in Into the Spiderverse. Also, when watching the film it's almost as if you're inside a comic book that's almost three-dimensional. It's hard to describe.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Why did you think Spiderverse would be a nonfactor? Family friendly animated movies usually do well in box office any time of year. This is Spider-Man first animated feature which to me was a major draw. Seeing Spider-Man movements in movie quality animation is something I wanted for years.

Astonishing Member

I watched Spiderverse this weekend and really liked liked, after having dropped out of Spiderstories for years and avoiding the live Venom movie like the black symbiote plague. Will probably watch another Spiderverse if Sony makes it.

But even then I'm not surprised its box office, which seems fine for itself, is a footnote compared to Aquaman's. I thought since weeks ago that an animation film not directly related to current MCU/Sony live Spidercharacters, dealing with alternate world/media characters, would be more of a geeky curiosity for general audiences.

Anyone who thought Mary Poppins was going to do amazing was an idiot. Its a rush move to fill the area Solo was supposed to be in and is pretty much just another in Disney's line of "Unimaginative Remakes"

I think the hype with Mary Poppins was more because people were expecting Aquaman and Bumblebee to be trash can fires ,Mary Poppins would do well with families. If you were predicting then yes Disney family movie of beloved property versus flawed franchise DCEU(Justice League,BatmanVSuperman) Aquaman , Bayformers (4 & 5) Bumblebee and animated Superhero movie. The easy choice would have been Mary Poppins for them. Me personally I never thought that Mary Poppins would be that amazing so I never got the Mary Poppins hype.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    pretty much just another in Disney's line of "Unimaginative Remakes"
    Mary Poppins a sequel and they are bunch of books in series. Sorry your wrong about that
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 01-01-2019 at 02:56 AM.