Page 55 of 75 FirstFirst ... 54551525354555657585965 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KabutoRyder View Post
    Might see it again this weekend. I know he gets his ass kicked, but damn I love me some Manta. need to see him on the big screen again.
    I'm going again too taking my fiance. She wants to watch after we told her how much fun it was. Manta and Orm looked cool af but I was disappointed Manta had no range. Dude was just mad 24/7, like they set up a nice tragic beginning but dude was already an angry ******* and except for a 2second scene where he asks aquaman for help hes jsut bat mad the whole movie. Hopefuly he shows some range in Aquaman 2 because I liked the actor he did mad real well and look badass. Orm had some range but he also had alot cheesey moments but again he looked cool and PATRICK Wilson did a good job it was just some cheesey moments. Ima see it in 3d this time

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    If Arthur has united the seven, doesn't that mean he gets the title of Ocean Master? Is Orm just Orm now--no fancy titles for him? When everybody talks about the Ocean Master, they must be referring to Aquaman now.

You can impose a three act structure on AQUAMAN, like Syd Field advocates for screenplays and what we see with most super-hero movies, but I think it works according to the rules of story telling I learned in high school when we studied THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA--and I guess it goes all the way back to Aristotle. You have exposition, rising action, climax, falling action and denouement.

Many would say the climax is the final battle, but thinking about this I've come to the conclusion that the real climax is in the hidden kingdom with Julie Andrews when Arthur gains the trident. For me that's the emotional catharsis of the movie. The final battle is great and all, with John Rhys-Davies voicing the Brine King, and Patrick Wilson's performance in the trident fight--but that's really the falling action of the movie, because Arthur has found the holy grail before then and we are pretty confident in his victory now. The denouement is of course what happens right after that, where the movie comes full circle.

Brett Culp's review is the kind of video I've been looking for--I just didn't know it. He gives the movie a lot of thought and he comes up with some insights that stand out from the usual sort of reviews. At over 19 minutes, you don't need to watch the whole thing, he gets to the point toward the end, around 13 minutes in. He talks about that scene in the hidden kingdom and what we learn from that. Arthur becomes a hero because he listens to the Karathen. Aquaman's ability that everyone mocks, talking to fish, turns out to be the super-power that the world needs.

Thanks for finding this review. I agree that it's not always easy to find an unabashedly glowing review of a DCEU movie -- especially Aquaman. Grace's review on YouTube was about the most enthusiastic among the usual CBR reviewers.

I have to say that I was VERY pleased that James Wan went all-in on the "talking to fish" power. By the way, it's not just that Aquaman TALKS to fish, he commands them, which is I wish more people would understand.

But, yes, that was a great insight that Aquaman's most ridiculed power is a large part of what proved he was worthy of the Trident that made him King of Atlantis, which I guess is a step up from the "Ocean Master" title.
    Last edited by Comic-Reader Lad; 01-02-2019 at 02:33 PM.

Might see it again this weekend. I know he gets his ass kicked, but damn I love me some Manta. need to see him on the big screen again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322
    I'm going again too taking my fiance. She wants to watch after we told her how much fun it was. Manta and Orm looked cool af but I was disappointed Manta had no range. Dude was just mad 24/7, like they set up a nice tragic beginning but dude was already an angry ******* and except for a 2second scene where he asks aquaman for help hes jsut bat mad the whole movie. Hopefuly he shows some range in Aquaman 2 because I liked the actor he did mad real well and look badass. Orm had some range but he also had alot cheesey moments but again he looked cool and PATRICK Wilson did a good job it was just some cheesey moments. Ima see it in 3d this time
    Geoff Johns wants a Black Manta spinoff movie. I don't think I would care for such a thing, but I know Geoff has a thing for villains. Still, I agree that Aquaman 2 should flesh Manta out. I loved what we saw of him so far. He was a very successful comics-to-screen adaptation. Quite frankly, I thought ALL of them (besides Aquaman himself, but I liked Momoa's version anyway) were lifted right off the page.

Let us know how you liked the 3D and if it made a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
    Aquaman is coming for that ass BvS!
    And what an arse it is!!!! If Arthur Curry can put that posterior on his mantle, he has done something right!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Geoff Johns wants a Black Manta spinoff movie. I don't think I would care for such a thing, but I know Geoff has a thing for villains. Still, I agree that Aquaman 2 should flesh Manta out. I loved what we saw of him so far. He was a very successful comics-to-screen adaptation. Quite frankly, I thought ALL of them (besides Aquaman himself, but I liked Momoa's version anyway) were lifted right off the page.
    I think Black Manta would be better as a foe for Aquaman in an Aquaman sequel. I know villains have gotten their own movies, Catwoman, Sucide Squad, and the upcoming Joker movie. But I don't think characters like Black Manta,
    Deathstroke, and Black Adam are well known enough or interesting enough to carry their own movie and are better served costarring in the movie of the hero that they are known for. I could be wrong, but that is my opinion.

Manta wasn't defeated. His helmet malfunctioned. That battle ended in a stalemate.

www.taurianfilms.com KabutoRyder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Calighoula View Post
    Manta wasn't defeated. His helmet malfunctioned. That battle ended in a stalemate.
    Dude took a header down a cliff and into the water. Id say that is defeat

Astonishing Member

I have to say that I was VERY pleased that James Wan went all-in on the "talking to fish" power. By the way, it's not just that Aquaman TALKS to fish, he commands them, which is I wish more people would understand.
    Wait--what? That's the opposite of what I got. (And what's been portrayed in the comics the last couple of decades) He doesn't command them, he *asks* them to do it. He won't command the marine life to die for him for example. They obey because he's the king of the seas, but they don't always say 'yes'.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    Wait--what? That's the opposite of what I got. (And what's been portrayed in the comics the last couple of decades) He doesn't command them, he *asks* them to do it. He won't command the marine life to die for him for example. They obey because he's the king of the seas, but they don't always say 'yes'.
    I could be wrong but wasn't it explained in one of his volumes that he has *both* abilities, to talk to and command, its just that he never uses the latter cause its both distasteful and the marine life he commanded will resent him afterwards.

Then again seems he would have used that command power on the piranhas that ate his hand.

I haven't read an Aquaman comic since he had the water hand, but I think this is from 2016:

So maybe it varies per writer.

I think Wan is leaning toward "talk" and they obey cause the ocean life recognize him as an heir of Atlan.

I think aquaman will do well in japan. If shazam does well (it looks great) this could really help dc out.

Movie news talks about aquaman.

Dude took a header down a cliff and into the water. Id say that is defeat
    After his system malfunctioned. Arthur was on the ground. Neither won that confrontation.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    In addition to what Nate Grey posted, I have to admit that my perception of a lot of DC heroes is stuck in their Bronze Age depictions, and there Aquaman clearly just telepathically commanded them to do what he wanted.

That's also the way it was shown in the Aquaman 1960s cartoon (which is actually really good -- for its era) and, of course, the Super Friends series.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    It's not unusual for a sequel to repeat the same story beats as the original.

I agree with your point.

It's not really repeating the same story though

also the title of the movie is Mary Poppins Returns, and that makes it obvious that it's a sequel

the plot of the movie is

Set in 1930s London, twenty-five years after the events of the original film, it sees Mary Poppins, the former nanny of Jane and Michael Banks, returning after a family tragedy.
    Michael and Jane are now adults.
    Michael has children (Annabel, John, and Georgie), and his housekeeper Ellen and his sister Jane helps him raise the children after his wife/their mother Kate having died a year ago.
    Mary Poppins ends up becoming the children's nanny.

so the plot of the movie follows previous events from the last movie, and so it's a sequel
    Last edited by Starrius; 01-02-2019 at 10:01 PM.
    I created a thread about Dick Grayson/Nightwing and Koriand'r/Starfire. It is to acknowledge and honor their iconic and popular relationship.

I created a fan page about Peter Parker/Spider-Man and Mary Jane Watson. This page is for all the Spider-Marriage fans.

I've seen Aquaman twice and I love it. The visuals wowed me and the characters moved me, especially Atlanna and Thomas. I was in tears in all their scenes. Arthur's story was also very good and Momoa and Amber Heard were very solid for me. I'm in love with Orm. Sexy bastard.

The third act is stunning in both visuals and heart. Best one of the new DC movies to me. I'm going again this week hopefully.

Ultimate Member

Wow, Aquaman has crossed $800m globally.

It will very likely end up with $1.1bn.

I think globally (outside the US) it has to be one of the highest grossing movies ever.